Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe

Go down 
+7
Old Limey
john grinsel
KennyJoe
Cosmic_Jumper
sc00ter
Dale N.
cotetoi
11 posters
AuthorMessage
KennyJoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2019-04-20

Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe Empty
PostSubject: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 1:27 pm

I just bought a 2004 Silverwing last night and rode it home and know I need to make some changes to make it comfortable. Has anyone made of found some way to add a highway bar or forward mounted pegs/footboards to gain legroom? I bought a old seat off ebay today to experiment with.

Has anyone changed the handlebars to a wider, higher position one?

It has just turned 20k and I see in the owners manual it says it should be replaced a 16k but it was traded in at a car lot so I know no history on it unfortunately.  Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 1:54 pm

Hey, KennyJoe, I haven't heard of a SWing getting replaced at 16K. Sounds you made a bad deal buying it at 20K. Shady deal, Ken ! On the other hand, she wore a glove ! But, seriously, I think you are talking about the belt: yes, you should replace the belt since you don't know the history; at the very least, check that it is still within specs. It is 15 yrs old !
But, you should check and replace as necessary the tires: age, cracks, etc, replace all fluids ( condition of engine oil? ), check brake pads, etc. I am sure I haven't covered everything, but it's a good start. As for replacing the beast, that's up to you. Nobody here has made any of the mods you want to make, except for the foot pegs.
Maybe you should hold off the changes till you have ridden the bike for a few weeks. You might find you don't really need them !

Welcome to the fold.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 2:39 pm

Like cotetoi said, It's probably the belt that the manual was talking about.

I bought an 08 that had been sitting under a tarp for two years. I replaced the belt even tho it looked like new. This way I knew what was in it. Also the tires were a bit weather cracked so new ones went on. The battery was stone dead so a new one went in. I also changed the oil and filter so that I'd know when it was changed and what's in it.

And yes, ride it for a few weeks to see how you like it the way it is before making too many changes. Also there's lots of people I've met on rides who have well over 70-80 thousand miles on theirs.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 5:32 pm

How tall are you K.J.? m 5'9ish" and find it a long reach to the forward floor boards. Anyways, welcome to the site! I think a Corbin seat lets you sit a bit further back and any bars will work if you like the naked bar look. I agree with Dale, give it some time and miles to before messing with it to much.
Back to top Go down
KennyJoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 7:04 pm

6'2" but my inseam is 34" so legroom is a problem as it was on the Burgman 650 I had. Looking into a Russell Day long seat but dang they are proud of them!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 7:22 pm

Why not just remove the butt rest and see how that suits you.
Back to top Go down
KennyJoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 7:37 pm

I did but the hard plastic guides or whatever they are doesn't feel the best. When I get the other stock seat I bought off ebay I'm going take my multi tool and take the drivers seating plastic back about 3-4" then replace the hole with aluminum and have it re-covered and see how that works. Did that on my Burgman and it was awesome.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 11:33 am

Ride it 5,000 miles or so before any changes----bars are already too high----feet forward already hard on spine, forward pegs would just add to problem---Seat as is, butt rest adjusted back, worked for me for over 90,000 miles with 2 new SilverWings. Want to make changes---Givi adjustable windshield is best way to go to be comfortable.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 11:54 am

KennyJoe wrote:
I did but the hard plastic guides or whatever they are doesn't feel the best. When I get the other stock seat I bought off ebay I'm going take my multi tool and take the drivers seating plastic back about 3-4" then replace the hole with aluminum and have it re-covered and see how that works. Did that on my Burgman and it was awesome.

Please post some photos of the steps you take to modify the seat.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 2:00 pm

If you want to change so much stuff on it, why buy it? I am on my second Silverwing i have a givi Airflow screen and altered the seat "Butt" rest to a backrest. I would like the Silverwing to have a shaft drive so i don't have keep changing drive belts, like my old Deauville had. I would like it to return ninety miles to the gallon as my Cruisym 300 does. It is what it is accept it.
Back to top Go down
KennyJoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 2:23 pm

Part of owning a bike and living in the good old U.S.A. is part of the pleasure of making a bike to the owners personal preference and not like everyone's else's. I bought it because I wanted another large scooter and it was a good deal. Everyone seems so critical of me wanting to make changes that I know will make it more comfortable as I have done to other scooters. I was looking for suggestions of people who had done similar changes to their own bikes.
Back to top Go down
KennyJoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 2:32 pm

Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe 06261410
Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe 06271410
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 3:48 pm

Nice saddle. Is any of the foam the original shape? I can see that you've resculpted the butt rest, but did you also push that area back? Somehow I recall that the seat pan in butt rest area was was humped --but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

It's convenient to have access to an air stapler so that you can restaple the cover to the pan. A hand staple gun just won't penetrate the pan.

Tim
Back to top Go down
KennyJoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 4:25 pm

Most of the original foam base was kept but I added almost 2 in of memory foam on the top. But I cut the plastic seat back 4 inches so it made for a super comfortable riding position with plenty of legroom.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 11:31 pm

That is one snazzy looking seat mod! I tried a simple re-cover on a Helix without the diamond tuck and it looked so crappy. You got crazy skills!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 11:38 pm

About all I can say about that seat is WOW! Great Job!
Back to top Go down
Aledubpe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Aledubpe

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2020-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 12:34 pm

KennyJoe wrote:
Most of the original foam base was kept but I added almost 2 in of memory foam on the top. But I cut the plastic seat back 4 inches so it made for a super comfortable riding position with plenty of legroom.

Hi Kenny,

Did you take some pics from the back side/ bottom? I would like to see how you’ve cut the plastic.

Grtz,
Alex
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 7:35 pm

Me too. Cutting the seat pan can't be easy. Small air saw would work after drilling a starter hole. Is the front latch striker still here?

Very nice seat !!! cheers
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2020-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 2:47 pm

KennyJoe wrote:

Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe 06271410

Nicely done. Congrats!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 3:22 pm

Hmm, I have a 1500 Gold Wing base and foam now you have me wondering about modifying and fitting, hmm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe   Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seat pan mod by Kenny Joe
Page 1 of 1