Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Riding used bike back home

Go down 
+7
GHM-PM
john grinsel
sc00ter
cotetoi
Easyrider
oldwingguy
FutureSWinger?
11 posters
AuthorMessage
FutureSWinger?
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-11-01

Riding used bike back home Empty
PostSubject: Riding used bike back home   Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 3:23 pm

I've posted in the past but not lately. If the following inquiry is already on the site, please direct me via link and save yourselves the time of replying. Otherwise, I look forward to reading the replies.

I'm currently in Oklahoma and interested in purchasing a 'Wing. I'm comfortable with the idea of doing so as far as 300 miles and even riding the bike back to Oklahoma. That stated, what are the thoughts?
1. Go for it!!! Fly out, ride back?
2. Absolutely don't ride back, tow the bike?
3. What should I expect to find on a bike at least 5 years old (yet more likely to be 7-10+ years old)?
4. If I were to ride it back to OK, what repairs/maintenance might be best to do before riding back?

History: I'm a former 2-Helix owner. Loved them! Would do another in a heartbeat. Farthest one-way ride is 150+ miles from Tulsa to Eureka Springs for (back when it was called) Scootercade. Did it twice and still have wonderful memories from it.

Thanks for the great site.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Riding used bike back home   Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 3:42 pm

I'd have to know the bike real well just to get on and ride it home, especially this time of year.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Riding used bike back home   Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 3:46 pm

You not knowing the condition of the tires, motor and rear-end oil, last belt change, etc, I would recommend trailering the bike back. No sense taking any chances during this Winter season. May cost you more should you have a breakdown riding it home, unless it is within a few miles from home.
Good luck on finding and riding your bike!

Last edited by Easyrider on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Riding used bike back home   Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 8:40 pm

All good advice, given the time of year. In the past years I have bought older bikes and ridden them home: A 1986 Helix, rode it 300 km. I first had to inflate the front tire and dump excess oil from the case. I bought a 750 ACE Shadow 200 km from home from a dealer. They were supposed to prep the bike and forgot to adjust the rear brake. I was still in their parking lot when I noticed it ! Both adventures were during long summer days. I wouldn't risk anything like that in winter unless you have AAA coverage for motorcycles.
Best to trailer your SWing home and give it a good go-over.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Riding used bike back home   Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 11:26 pm

When the wife and I went to look at her Swing, we figured IF something was wrong we would just rent a trailer in the sellers general area. But when we got there he had all the paperwork of all service work, and outside of a leaking fork seal and a worn rear tire, I just rode it back. It was a good hike home but was still kinda fun.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Riding used bike back home   Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 7:29 am

If the bike is any good, ride it.

This time of year real professional quality riding clothes/boots required.

Trip could be fun. Of course check basics before riding off.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Riding used bike back home   Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 7:59 am

All the replies above make sense but I tend to agree with John. If purchasing from a reputable seller and can ascertain the shape beforehand then ride it. If buying from a dealer tell them as condition of sale what YOU want checked prior to your arrival. Tires checked, fresh oil change etc. for the sale they will do it. As to weather, check the area for a 10 day period and when all looks good for 7-10 days go for it.

I bought a used KLR650 some years ago and used the above guidelines then drove it nearly 160 miles home with nary a problem (except for a hornet sting).

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Thebreen
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2011-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Riding used bike back home   Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 8:22 am

FutureSWinger? wrote:
I've posted in the past but not lately.  If the following inquiry is already on the site, please direct me via link and save yourselves the time of replying.  Otherwise, I look forward to reading the replies.

I'm currently in Oklahoma and interested in purchasing a 'Wing. I'm comfortable with the idea of doing so as far as 300 miles and even riding the bike back to Oklahoma.  That stated, what are the thoughts?
1. Go for it!!! Fly out, ride back?
2. Absolutely don't ride back, tow the bike?
3. What should I expect to find on a bike at least 5 years old (yet more likely to be 7-10+ years old)?
4. If I were to ride it back to OK, what repairs/maintenance might be best to do before riding back?

History: I'm a former 2-Helix owner.  Loved them!  Would do another in a heartbeat.  Farthest one-way ride is 150+ miles from Tulsa to Eureka Springs for (back when it was called) Scootercade.  Did it twice and still have wonderful memories from it.

Thanks for the great site.  

if it were me i'd:

take a car or truck and a friend and go insect it (after seeing online photos, and talking with the seller - see if i get a good or bad feeling before getting to the lets go look at it stage) - i ride a lot but 300 miles on a silverwing of unknown history ... i dont think so - that being said, would i take my 2011 silverwing i've owned since new with 12000 miles on it now on a trip over 300 miles - sure i would.

check maintenance records (oil changes, tires, belt) mileage and age (some folks recommend new tires regardless of mileage if they are 5+years old, you can read the date code on the tire when you inspect its overall condition).

take a test ride - if possible after riding a trusted friends silverwing for comparison - is it smooth, no unusual noises, brakes function well, no odd vibrations, etc.

Gas it up and go!

Hondas are fairly bulletproof but anything can be abused - plus what are you saving by flying out to see the bike?  What would you do if it wasnt what you expected?  how much long distance riding experience do you have?  i've been on a bunch of long rides (well over 300 miles) but not on my silverwing - my experience is figure on an average of 50 mph if riding on some highway and other divided roads (the more 'urban' the riding the slower the average). so you're talking around 6 hours door to door for a 300 mile trip - possibly less if you have a large bladder, nerves of steel and a great bike all highway with 1 quick stop for gas - silverwing gets about 50 mpg and the tank holds 4.2 gallons.  if it were me i'd jump in the truck/car (preferably with a trailer hitch at the minimum) with someone and go take a look the jump on the bike and ride it home if i trusted the seller and my inspection - that makes the roundtrip 600 miles but car miles are much easier on a person than bike miles.  My Valkyrie could go almost 270 miles on a tank at nominal highway speed 75 - 80 but i was ready for a break by then anyway.  in my truck 400 miles was much easier by comparison and i could jump right back in and do another 400.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Riding used bike back home   Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 1:31 pm

But riding is what this forum should be about-----
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Riding used bike back home   Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 8:29 pm

I have to agree with GHM-PM above. If it's a reputable dealer/private seller, he will know from your instructions that you expect to be a satisfied customer, and his integrity is on the line. Most human beings appreciate that a potential customer is sacrificing a 300-mile trip and may be a serious buyer. You will then come to the dealer/seller, inspect the dealership or seller's environment and the bike for yourself, take it for a test ride, and if, after your careful perusal of the bike and the dealership/seller (you may know within 10 minutes of when you arrive), enjoy the ride home. Mileage of the bike could be a factor, but do research and due diligence for mental comfort. I'm sure you have found out a lot more info. by now.

Then you will not be jumping off a cliff with no knowledge of the bottom. I don't think I would want to buy a bike that I would have to trailer home, unless I got it for a steal and was prepared to refurbish it. I would plan to buy a bike that runs, is inspected for the sale based on your good money. That bike should be road ready for a 300 mile ride if the dealer/seller has his reputation to maintain. Maybe check out some other bikes in the area as a back-up.

Bringing a friend along in a car would be the second option if you feel uncomfortable thinking 300 miles home would be a challenging ride for you--not the bike. You trusted your Helixes; you can probably trust the SWing. You are looking to buy a used SWing, not a used Royal Enfield (sorry RE owners). Take it 150 miles at a time; stay overnight; visit some tourist places on the way home. Have fun.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Riding used bike back home   Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 10:14 pm

Sorry but I never go on the word of the seller when purchasing a used bike. It will be possibly my life should something go wrong like a major tire failure. He is not going to send someone to pick me up should I breakdown on the way home. Most used bikes are sold as "AS IS" or owner beware. You have to do your own inspection. So you either know what to look for or bring someone that knows what to look for. There is no profit in selling used Swings. If you fine anything that needs to be repaired, it will be out of your pocket. And that is my 2¢.
Back to top Go down
FutureSWinger?
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Riding used bike back home   Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 11:24 pm

Thanks to all for the comments, concerns and most importantly ... perspective. Although my post implied it, I'm not purchasing --and surely NOT riding that distance-- during this time of year. The inquiry was (to be) geared more towards what should I expect to do about/to a used bike? My apologies.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Riding used bike back home   Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2018 4:07 am

my biggest concern would be for the tires, although I have a 2012 with original shoes... 3500 miles on them. I keep a close eye on the pressure and the sidewall. so far so good.

wouldn't hurt to be prepared to flush the radiator and change the oil.

I would also plan for a replacement battery..
Back to top Go down
gg194
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Riding used bike back home   Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2018 3:46 pm

Had mine about a month, rode it about 50 miles home. Have about 500 miles on it now and like it better all the time. Did have someone following me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riding used bike back home   Riding used bike back home I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riding used bike back home
Page 1 of 1