Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
My maintanance I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
My maintanance I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
My maintanance I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
My maintanance I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
My maintanance I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
My maintanance I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
My maintanance I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
My maintanance I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
My maintanance I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
My maintanance I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

My maintanance

Go down 
+4
GHM-PM
oldwingguy
Dale N.
Osprey
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2018-06-30

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2018 8:21 am

Hi all,

Thanks to this informative site, I've successfully changed my belt, engine and final drive oil, replaced windshield, and applied plastidrip to spruce the bike up.

I think the rollers need replacing but will save that for this fall or next spring. It's fun to do own work when possible.

Thank you! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: Re: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2018 10:04 am

This site is where I learned how to do my own maintenance on my SWing. Lots of pictorials.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: Re: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 3:58 pm

I have a question. It appears that everyone changes rollers at same time as belt change.
I didn't do that. Sorry missed it.

Can I tell, say by a certain sound or feel, if the rollers really need to be changed out?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: Re: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 5:21 pm

Do you have an OEM service manual to check specs? one thing I did was check for flat spots, roundness, weight ect. My 05 belt was original but had about 10 years age, changed belt but not rollers at about 5500 miles.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: Re: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 6:37 pm

Yes, I do. Used it quite a bit already. The ignition lock cylinder wasn't quite right with only key that came with the bike. A duplicate of that key same problem. So, I replaced ignition and locks with all new keys. Ripped the entire front end off the bike just to see everything. fun!

That's the worst for this bike. The owner obviously took great care of it. Clean oil, new tires etc....
He sold it because he wanted a new one. Kind of like the "rubberband" guru here. Sell at 50k.

The belt change was done because there were no records. This worried me after reading some of the not so fun stories of break downs. The old one was within limits or close to it. My tools aren't digital.
However, the bike is much more responsive and smooth after the change.

From your response, I guess only a visual/hands on inspection will let me know of the need to change them out. I was hoping not to have to take it all a part again.

There's a sort of "whistle" type sound, when I turn the bike off. Was wondering if that could be the rollers, saying a change would be nice. It doesn't last but a couple of seconds. Might be just normal for a bike with over 50k on it.

I mean it runs great. Perhaps, if it ain't broke don't fix it is for this time. Then, fix it when time is available to go through the get to the part work. ; )

Thanks for your response!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2537
Registration date : 2012-05-17

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: Re: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 8:05 am

Osprey, I changed my belt at about 14K a bit early but I had a friend with the right tools willing to help so there you go. I installed 28g DR Pulley sliders but the Honda rollers were completely fine on mine and could have made 30K easily.

And yes in regards to your initial post above. I bought my SWing new and figured it would go to Honda for most maintenance. That WAS the plan but my dealer is 50+ miles away so I began looking at the pictorials on here and dove in. Oil changes are a snap and final drive fluid changes are even easier. I have also changed spark plugs, air cleaner and battery and also drained and replaced coolant. This scoot is actually easier to work on then I had dreamed. Also installed a top box and changed out the windshield so I am getting there... Laughing
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: Re: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 8:28 am

The ignition lock cylinder wasn't quite right with only key that came with the bike.

If I may ask. What did the not quite right do / act like?
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: Re: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 7:46 pm

Oldwingguy,  

The not right was that the key didn't fit well and often took a couple of times to get it in.  It also was a bit finicky about turning the bike on.  Turning off and removing not so much.  

I'm a thinking that someone may have tried to steal it from the original owner. Perhaps, a screwdriver was involved?  The key worked perfectly with all other locking mechanisms.  

So, I went whole hog and had the dealer order all new locks.  Decided that I didn't want one key to use in ignition and a different one for everything else.  

It was a lot of fun taking the bike apart.  I know I didn't have to remove all panels from the front. Why not see what's under the tupperware?  By the way, I love that term!

Glen, I too live far from the dealer.  I also have a spirit of adventure which includes figuring out how things work.  

I replaced plugs and changed final drive oil.  Engine oil was clean.  (First thing I looked at when checking out the bike.)  Air cleaner good too.

I'm just kicking myself for not having the foresight to buy and change rollers at the same time.  I did have to ask the neighbor to help me put the new belt on.  I think I need Popeye arms to turn the belt while tightening the bolt.  Wow, that was hard.  So, I'm thinking about having to remove the belt to get to the rollers.  I'll wait until I feel like wrestling again, ask neighbor for help ; )

Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement.  Makes me want to do more of the maintenance than anticipated.  Excuse to buy more tools right?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: Re: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 8:49 pm

Osprey wrote:
Oldwingguy,  

The not right was that the key didn't fit well and often took a couple of times to get it in.  It also was a bit finicky about turning the bike on.  Turning off and removing not so much.  

I'm a thinking that someone may have tried to steal it from the original owner. Perhaps, a screwdriver was involved?  The key worked perfectly with all other locking mechanisms.  

So, I went whole hog and had the dealer order all new locks.  Decided that I didn't want one key to use in ignition and a different one for everything else.  

It was a lot of fun taking the bike apart.  I know I didn't have to remove all panels from the front. Why not see what's under the tupperware?  By the way, I love that term!

Glen, I too live far from the dealer.  I also have a spirit of adventure which includes figuring out how things work.  

I replaced plugs and changed final drive oil.  Engine oil was clean.  (First thing I looked at when checking out the bike.)  Air cleaner good too.

I'm just kicking myself for not having the foresight to buy and change rollers at the same time.  I did have to ask the neighbor to help me put the new belt on.  I think I need Popeye arms to turn the belt while tightening the bolt.  Wow, that was hard.  So, I'm thinking about having to remove the belt to get to the rollers.  I'll wait until I feel like wrestling again, ask neighbor for help ; )

Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement.  Makes me want to do more of the maintenance than anticipated.  Excuse to buy more tools right?

Thanks, my OEM key works fine in the locks, in the ignition I found it was " sticky " at times but also I found it paid to line it up well and sometimes just turning the key 180 deg. had it enter better. No signs of any damage to the lock AND the spare works fine in all usage.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: Re: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 8:51 am

Glad your key situation worked out.

I'm pretty certain that my key wasn't and OEM key. A new key was cut (Honda dealer) using the numbers from the ignition cyclinder. Steve had to machine the blank quite a bit in order to get it to work. It still didn't sit well with me. So for a few $$ and doing the work myself was worth it to me.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: Re: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 1:57 pm

Osprey wrote:

I'm thinking that this may be a common problem with the Silver Wing.  When I bought mine 3 years ago s/h with only 463 miles on the clock so virtually brand new, I had and still have occasionally problems inserting the key.  No amount of oiling has really cured the problem.  Some days it's ok others I have to fiddle a bit to insert the key or set the steering lock.  My buddy who I ride with has a 2003 Silver Wing and he has the  same problem occasionally.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: Re: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 2:02 pm

terrier wrote:
Osprey wrote:

I'm thinking that this may be a common problem with the Silver Wing.  When I bought mine 3 years ago s/h with only 463 miles on the clock so virtually brand new, I had and still have occasionally problems inserting the key.  No amount of oiling has really cured the problem.  Some days it's ok others I have to fiddle a bit to insert the key or set the steering lock.  My buddy who I ride with has a 2003 Silver Wing and he has the  same problem occasionally.

Good to know, I refrain from using oil, maybe a bit of silicone spray or a touch of dry graphite lube for locks. The odd to me bit is turning the key around seems to make it easier to get in but still leaning to how it's inserted as a possible " problem " .
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: Re: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 5:19 pm

I agree no oil just graphite (rub key shaft with a pencil ) and yes occasional key direction change does happen. Maybe it's the HISS system (though I can't see how)
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: Re: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 5:36 pm

I occasionally have to fiddle around getting the ignition key in to release the steering lock on my Silver Wing, the rest of the time it's fine. IIRC the FSC Silver Wing doesn't have the HISS fitted, just the FJS version.

Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2016-01-02

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: Re: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2018 7:28 pm

Steering lock is a little weird won't lock at full to the left have to turn it slightly right. Key seems to be longer and have a lot of fine cuts compared to some other bikes I've owned. A little lube helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My maintanance Empty
PostSubject: Re: My maintanance   My maintanance I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My maintanance
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: