Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New to the Silverwing!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Motoguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Motoguy

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-14

New to the Silverwing! Empty
PostSubject: New to the Silverwing!   New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi My name is Guy and have joined because my dad will be purchasing a 02 Silverwing this week. We will be looking for ideas to set up this scooter for a long distance trip that we will be taking in July.
I am sure I will have a few questions but a lot has already been answered buy just going through past threads.

Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: New to the Silverwing!   New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi Guy,

Your dad is going to love his SWing. What a great bike to own.

Welcome to the forum. Great to have you on board.

Enjoy....
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New to the Silverwing!   New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 6:20 pm

Motoguy wrote:
Hi My name is Guy and have joined because my dad will be purchasing a 02 Silverwing this week.

Welcome.

Motoguy wrote:
We will be looking for ideas to set up this scooter for a long distance trip that we will be taking in July.

1) Windshield - Changing the windshield was my first change

2) Storage - Depending on how your Dad will be carrying his gear

3) Seat comfort - Adjust buttrest (5 positions) do not assume it was properly adjusted. I still had to add an Alaskan Sheepskin and eventually a Airhawk after I was making longer rides ... some people go with a custom seat.

4) Handlebar comfort - Can vary greatly. Wrist rest ( http://newstyleleathers.com/wrist_rest.html ) and Grip Puppies ( http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GPSMALL&Category_Code=grips ) helped. After some very long rides I added Manic Salamander bar end weights.

It really helped to do smaller rides with increasing mileage to test what gear was really needed. Though riding everyday on your trip could add additional comfort requirements.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: New to the Silverwing!   New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 8:07 pm

Welcome Guy,

Like Bill said..the first thing that probably needs to be changed is the windshield. Unless your dad is under 5'4" or so he will need a new shield. And also, adjust the seat too so it fits properly.

You might also want to go to www.allsuperscooters.com since someone named "Ironranger" puts on a large rally up in Iron Mountain, Mn. The "allsuperscooters" site is kind of like the central site that organizes the rally up in Iron Mountain. Since you are close I'm sure you would all like it. I chat with many of the riders and they are great bunch. Hopefully I will be able to make it out there one day.

If you have any questions please come back and I have many "Pictorials" on the www.scootertrap.com site on how to do things. Just go there and then go to the Honda Silver Wing section and look for the Pictorials. Again, welcome.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Motoguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Motoguy

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: New to the Silverwing!   New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 10:34 pm

Thanks for the welcome!!

My Dad and I will be setting up his new ride this winter. Seat adjustment is the first thing we will tackle. Hi is 5' 5" so I am hoping the windscreen will be ok but if not I think the Givi will be on our short list. I already have the Bestem t-box on order for Christmas. Other items that will be added will be a vista cruse, Garmin GPS, Radio for Bike to Bike comm. A few ram mounts, and a few 12v outlets. The list will be sure to grow as we dive in, but thats half of the fun.

When spring comes he will be instructed to start riding and should be doing 300+ mile days before we take off for the trip. If in fact he follows up on the training to do this ride everything should go well. If he doesn't we will just have to modify the ride schedule. Remember its not the destination but the ride itself. This is a trip I thought I would never be able to do with my Dad. So every mile will be cherished.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: New to the Silverwing!   New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 11:11 pm

I recently put a Vista Cruise throttle lock on my SW. I had to file away a bit of the plastic in the hinge area a bit to make the thing work properly and narrow up the plastic piece so it would fit between the throttle cables to hold the proper angle on the lock but once that was done it is a good addition to the scooter. I may install a Rostra electronic cruise control on the scooter later on. I put on on an old Goldwing a couple years and it worked great. Looks like there might be room to slip the electronic control and actuator behind one of the rear panels. I'm about 5'11" or less, old age and gravity has stolen an inch and a half, and don't find the OEM windshield bad. The only downside I have with it is at speeds above 90mph and above my helmet gets pulled upward. Since I don't often cruise at those speeds it's not a problem.
I mounted my GPS in the center of the handlebars using the two main bolts on the plastic cover, replaced the bolts with longer ones and a couple spacers to raise the aluminum bracket I made high enough to clear the plastic. Works good. I have an electrical outlet in the left glove box so I can plug in the GPS or my cell phone. Still have to break down and order a Bestem top box which I will do afte the holidays. Hope your dad had a great time with the Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New to the Silverwing!   New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 11:12 pm

Motoguy wrote:
If he doesn't we will just have to modify the ride schedule. Remember its not the destination but the ride itself. This is a trip I thought I would never be able to do with my Dad. So every mile will be cherished.

Excellent perspective New to the Silverwing! Icon_cheers .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the Silverwing!   New to the Silverwing! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to the Silverwing!
Page 1 of 1