Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Use of Stabil?

Go down 
+2
Waspie
tankyuong
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Use of Stabil? Empty
PostSubject: Use of Stabil?   Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 10:15 am

Thinking about buying the stuff and using it but does gas go stale in 4 months?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Use of Stabil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Use of Stabil?   Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 11:44 am

Easier option is to ride your bike. Smile That way the fuel won't go stale!!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Use of Stabil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Use of Stabil?   Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm with Waspie on this. If you are unable to ride the bike I really am not certain how critical it is to 'winterize' the engine in a rather mild climate.

I grew up on a farm in northern Minnesota. We had three tractors and used two of them for various tasks in the winter. The third one (a Ford 801 - with an selectomatic tranny) was parked in the shed (unheated) and did not move until the snows started to melt. We filled the tank - FULL before storing it and did hook up a trickle charger to keep the battery from freezing more than anything. In the spring we turned the key and drove it out of the shed to hook it to the disk. Used that tractor hard for over 20 years with no engine troubles. This on 60's & 70's technology.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
jimjotel
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-12-01

Use of Stabil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Use of Stabil?   Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 5:56 pm

now days you are dealing with ethanol though. besides watering a gallon of gas down, the stuff gums up fuel systems when not driven on a regular basis. it also cuts mpg down so some one tell me why ethanol is being used in the first place. but with the weather getting colder and riding is becoming
less i am adding it to my SW.
Back to top Go down
http://jimtelford@bellsouth.net
DenGraham
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DenGraham

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Use of Stabil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Use of Stabil?   Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 9:29 pm

You may want to check into Sea Foam. I never heard of it until this past year but it is good for 2 years AND it cleans your fuel system. Here is some info on it:
"SeaFoam has been on the market for 65 years now. It was originally developed for the marine industry to combat the problem of moisture and algae build up in diesel fuel tanks. It has since been refined and marketed also to stabilize, remove carbon/varnish, deice, etc fuel sytems and combustion chambers of both 2 and 4 cycle engines both gasoline and diesel. I've never seen or used a better cleaning and PM product than this to date. Using it will restore power and performance to any used engine."
A number of the other forums recommend it.
>> Dennis Use of Stabil? Icon_smile

Last edited by DenGraham on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down

Use of Stabil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Use of Stabil?   Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 7:04 am

Living up in one of the coldest cities on the planet and also very long winters, I've been using Seafoam as an additive to my gas driven power equipment for years. Very good stuff if used as directed. Stabil also is a good product for long term storage of gas. Just fill up your gas tank so there is very little head space so condensation is not possible.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Use of Stabil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Use of Stabil?   Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 10:05 am

How much is it and where can I get it?
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Use of Stabil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Use of Stabil?   Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 10:33 am

Any AutoZone has it for about $10.
Back to top Go down

Use of Stabil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Use of Stabil?   Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 1:37 pm

I have used Seafoam and StaBill for many years and both products are great when used as recomended. The gasoline we use today is a different formula with different additives than we had years ago. Todays gas will go bad sometimes in less than four months. I have had problems especially in stand by generators, lawn mowers, and chain saws. The biggest problem seams to be gumming in the float bowl and hard starting even after carb clean out. When I use StaBill I have no problems in this area. I use it with diesel and gasoline in bachoe, bobcat, road tractors, farm tractor, PU, cars, saw mill power units, motorcycles (5). gemerator, saws, mowers, and blowers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Use of Stabil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Use of Stabil?   Use of Stabil? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Use of Stabil?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Riding :: Rides and Stories-
Jump to: