Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Main beam problem?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Main beam problem? Empty
PostSubject: Main beam problem?   Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm

On Sunday I was out riding and got caught in a thunderstorm, when I pulled over to change gloves I stopped the engine. When I started up again I noticed main beam light on I pressed the passing switch several times and nothing happened, it stayed on. Going about a hundred yards main beam light went out, but came on once or twice, on the way home. When I got home I though water had gotten into the handlebar switch, so sprayed WD 40 into it. Today I went to fill up with fuel for my ride out, after putting fuel in, on starting up main beam light on again stayed on till I went over a bump in the road then went out and all was back to normal. I thought wiring was just from switch to headlight, is there another connection elsewhere I should check ? anyone had this problem?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Main beam problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Main beam problem?   Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 5:01 pm

There are several wire harness connections for the lights. The main headlight / front turn signal harness has a brown 9 pin connection. It's the one which you disconnect when you remove the Front Cover (fairing).  

There are two connections for the left handlebar switches; one black 9 pin, and one red 6 pin. They are inconveniently tucked in under the handlebar covers and below the Combination Meter

There is one red 9 pin connection for the right handlebar switches --also below the CM

Best suggestion I have is to check continuity on the B/R to Bu/W wires of the red 9 pin connector for the right handlebar switch harness. That circuit should be CLOSED when the push to Start switch is in the rest position, and the circuit OPEN the Start switch is activated. When the Start switch is activated the OPEN B/R Bu/W circuit kills the current to the headlight.

It is possible that the Start switch terminals are dirty or corroded and that is what is causing the headlight to act erratic.

But first try a 'quick 'n dirty' test; give the right handlebar switch a good whack with a screwdriver handle when the headlight craps out. If the light comes back ON then...

My 2¢ opinion. HTH

EDIT: I should note that our North American FSC models don't have the "flash to pass" circuit like the UK FJS models.

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Main beam problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Main beam problem?   Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 5:15 pm

Keeping it simple---try another standard bulb.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Main beam problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Main beam problem?   Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Keeping it simple---try another standard bulb.

I'm working from Honda CAR experience here. Headlamp is always powered and works through the ground side. Needs to ground to come on. Try a bulb first filaments could be shorting making that ground.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Main beam problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Main beam problem?   Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 4:30 am

Thanks for all advice, will try new bulb first as suggested. Tinkering later today. Must admit i would not have thought bulb was the problem.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Main beam problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Main beam problem?   Main beam problem? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2018 4:17 am

I changed the main beam bulb as suggested, the old bulb appears okay but, that does not mean it is, time will tell if that was the problem, thanks again for all advice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Main beam problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Main beam problem?   Main beam problem? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Main beam problem?
Page 1 of 1