Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Another reason to like your Silver Wing

Go down 
+7
"Hi Yo"
willajabir
GHM-PM
Dale N.
Mech 1 twa
carolina wing rider
bikehiker
11 posters
AuthorMessage
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Another reason to like your Silver Wing Empty
PostSubject: Another reason to like your Silver Wing   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 3:01 pm

Today, I pulled into a parking place at a local supermarket. I was in the process of backing away from my 2012 Swing, when, as I turned around, behind me a very nice looking young blonde was walking by and said, "Nice bike."

Now I have to say, I have gotten compliments about various bikes I have owned, but I think this is the first time I got one from a lovely female.

1.I had not washed the Swing for about 5 months.
2. My helmet was off of my grey-haired head, so she was not by any means complimenting me.
3. The comment was unsolicited.
4. I'm sharing this because no matter what your Harley friends say, your SWing is a chick magnet. Ride with pride.

Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

PostSubject: Another reason   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 3:32 pm

She was right...Silverwings are nice bikes. I bet it made you feel pretty good hearing it from someone else even though you knew it all along. Hard to beat those lines and curves on a SW.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Another reason to like your Silver Wing   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 8:04 pm

bikehiker wrote:
Today, I pulled into a parking place at a local supermarket.  I was in the process of backing away from my 2012 Swing, when, as I turned around, behind  me a very nice looking young blonde was walking by and said, "Nice bike."  

Now I have to say, I have gotten compliments about various bikes I have owned, but I think this is the first time I got one from a lovely female.  

2. My helmet was off of my grey-haired head, so she was not by any means complimenting me.
4. I'm sharing this because no matter what your Harley friends say, your SWing is a chick magnet.  Ride with pride.  

No matter what your Harley friends say as you're passing them.  Smile   Could throw a blond joke in there also.
SW is good.

Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Another reason to like your Silver Wing   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 9:38 pm

carolina wing rider wrote:
She was right...Silverwings are nice bikes. I bet it made you feel pretty good hearing it from someone else even though you knew it all along. Hard to beat those lines and curves on a SW.

Or the lines and curves on a nice looking Blonde... Smile
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Another reason to like your Silver Wing   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 8:12 am

I have noticed that on trips people are apt to stop me and ask me about the Silver Wing. More so than any other bike I have owned (including Goldwing). I attribute it possibly to a non-threatening scooter and people do not worry about talking to us "vicious" scooter riders? LOL
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Another reason to like your Silver Wing   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 10:40 am

GHM-PM wrote:
I have noticed that on trips people are apt to stop me and ask me about the Silver Wing. More so than any other bike I have owned (including Goldwing). I attribute it possibly to a non-threatening scooter and people do not worry about talking to us "vicious" scooter riders?  LOL

I live in an area where all adult males that are able, still ride motorcycles/scooters. We have had this debate ongoing for years. Seems when a rider is alone, he is more approachable in general. The debate is still open though as we have different perceptions of cause vs effect.

Far from scientific, my own observation has been:
Fewer bikers together = more approachable.
If you keep your helmet on and don't smile, less likely to be spoken to.
If you smile, nod, or wave at others, you're more likely to be approached.

Your looks makes a difference too in the same situations. My brother was on the receiving end of the DNA enhancements and is better looking than I. He is approached more by females when we are both on bikes or scooters.
Our local retired state trooper has been approached less than the rest of us. He has grown a beard and pony tail since retiring.

Most of this is could easily be replicated or proven false in various situations.

So my final conclusion has come down to simplicity. Scooters make you smile more and almost everyone likes a person smiling. YSPMMV (Your Smiles Per Mile May Vary)
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Another reason to like your Silver Wing 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Another reason to like your Silver Wing   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 4:38 pm

bikehiker wrote:
Today, I pulled into a parking place at a local supermarket.  I was in the process of backing away from my 2012 Swing, when, as I turned around, behind  me a very nice looking young blonde was walking by and said, "Nice bike."  

4. I'm sharing this because no matter what your Harley friends say, your SWing is a chick magnet.  Ride with pride.  

At least she didn't add; "My granpa had one just like it" Laughing
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Another reason   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 3:13 pm

L O L ........Good one "Hi Yo". As I remember........."You meet the nicest people on a Honda".
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Another reason to like your Silver Wing   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 3:39 pm

For me the novelty of answering queries and questions about my maxi scooter waned within a couple of years of owning a Helix back in the Nineties. Back then it was the one and only original maxi scooter and a very rare sight on the UK's roads. At first I was quite happy to engage with strangers curious about it, Then it became irritating politely answering the same old questions because they hadn't seen one before.

Nowadays the Silver Wing is just another scooter out there, and the questions I get are from bikers. Usually ones that that been riding at least as long as the Silver Wing was in production, and unless they're illiterate they'll have already had the opportunity to read numerous magazine articles on them over the years. And if they haven't it's not my job to educate them, especially in this Internet age.

If their opening question has even the merest hint of sarcasm about my Silver Wing, I make it very clear I'm not playing their game.

As for waving at other riders, I've mentioned on here a few times I stopped that meaningless nonsense a long time ago. I don't wave at other car drivers when I'm out driving, cyclists when I'm on my push bike, or the bloke over the road when he's using his lawnmower the same time as me.

Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Another reason to like your Silver Wing   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2018 5:56 am

When riding with my son in law, it seems that no matter what bike he rides people come and look at my Silver wing. He gets a bit annoyed as he spends hours polishing and adding little bits to his bikes, he currently runs an XJS 1800. I am not a people person, and ignore most people, sometimes I just say it is a motorcycle with a scooter framework,so they nod and say oh now I see.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Another reason   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2018 10:45 am

Old Limey I'm sure your son in law's bike is a great looking machine but Silverwings are something so different looking to most people that they do attract attention. Most have seen the smaller 50cc scooters but when a big machine like a Silverwing pulls up it seems to have a unique WOW factor. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Another reason to like your Silver Wing   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2018 5:35 pm

carolina wing rider wrote:
Silverwings are something so different looking to most people that they do attract attention. Most have seen the smaller 50cc scooters but when a big machine like a Silverwing pulls up it seems to have a unique WOW factor.

Are you basing this wow factor solely on your three months ownership of a Silver Wing? Because I've never seen it that way.

The Silver Wing has been around forever, it's dated, I don't suppose you've ever seen the twin headlight SW-T version either. I've been to cities crawling with scooters like London, Paris, Berlin, Milan, and Bologna to name but a few, and it's just another scooter being ridden on the streets or parked up with loads of others.

No one is standing around admiring them, because there's not many about of them about. When I see one somewhere I only give it a second glance because I have one myself, and check it out simply to see if any interesting accessories may have been fitted by the owner.

Neither are they particularly practical scooters if you live in some old French or Italian city with narrow winding streets or limited space to park them, and they're far too heavy to move about much.

As a tourer they're great, but even waiting along with fellow riders waiting to board one of the North Sea ferries, my lone Silver Wing in the midst of mainly fully kitted BMW adventure bikes is basically ignored. Any questions I'm asked are usually directed at me about where I'm going to, or where I've been.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Another reason   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2018 5:50 pm

I understand where you are coming from and I certainly cannot make any opinion on what folks are attracted to in Europe because I have never spent any time in Europe. In this case I trust your opinion as you have a lifetime experience there. All I can say is that the Silverwing does attract attention here on the East Coast of the US...probably as you said...because there just aren't many of them around. There are probably many other great machines to choose from and perhaps I may own one of them in the future but for now I really enjoy my Silverwing. Thanks Meldrew.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Another reason to like your Silver Wing   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2018 10:23 pm

Carolina,
Here in Hawaii, I do get many questions about my 2013 Swing. Most people are surprised that I ride it on our highways. Since it has the basic shape of a scooter, most people think that the top speed is around 35MPH. Their facial expression is of disbelief when I respond with the published top speed is 115MPH. There are fewer maxi scooters here in Hawaii as compared to the states. I never gone faster than 90MPH. The funny thing is that it happened when I was late to my MSF class. The instructor warned us that we automatically fail if more than 15 minutes late for class. I made it with less than a minute to spare. Good thing it was early in the morning and the highway was clear of vehicles. The only other vehicle was a Ninga who could not loose track of me. He was also going 90MPH.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Another reason   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 12:10 am

These bikes may be dated to some but they are still interesting and great bikes for their purpose. In time I may forget how to use a clutch unless I change up sometimes.Every once in a while I still grab that left (clutch) lever and take a sudden lunge forward.....brain fart I guess. I enjoyed your post.....Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Another reason to like your Silver Wing   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 3:17 am

They are dated, on that 'other forum' that most of we Brits frequent the Silver Wing has long been regarded as an old mans scooter and the complete opposite of something cooler and sportier like the TMax.

From it's launch in 2000 and numerous magazine road tests the Silver Wing became known for being a thirsty beast, and that reputation overshadowed all it's other good points for years. Honda made it complicated for buyers too, initially offering only a non-ABS version, then a more expensive ABS one alongside it before finally dropping the non-ABS one.

For years I was only mildly interested at all this thirsty beast and rode Burgmans. It wasn't until I got fed up with my lardass 650 Burgman in 2010 that I showed any interest in the Silver Wing. Mainly because it was only alternative large capacity maxi scooter, apart an oddball like the chain driven Gilera GP 800.

Even back then online discussion about the now more fuel efficient Silver Wing would be contradicted by those who'd owned the earlier thirsty versions.

Now it seems to have finally sunk in that the later versions are better in that respect, but the Silver Wing is still regarded as an old mans scooter and it's true.

The blokes that seem to graduate to them tend to be old bikers that have had other maxi scooters that may have been troublesome. Or old bikers with the usual dodgy wrist, knees, or back problems buying them as their first maxi scooter.

The very same bikers that would have sneered at and someone on a maxi scooter back in the day.  Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Another reason to like your Silver Wing   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 4:41 am

About the only comment I get is ..... Do you ever wash that ? it's filthy .... yes I wash it regularly, once after the winter salt's gone & again before it's MOT in June Smile

Edit : rolling laughter rolling laughter Ohh lok, I just got another red mark  rolling laughter rolling laughter

Last edited by The Bern on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Another reason   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 10:21 am

Yes.........I am old..........and I still love my Silverwing. Did somebody say "You meet the nicest people on a Honda"?
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Another reason to like your Silver Wing   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 3:41 pm

The Bern wrote:
About the only comment I get is ..... Do you ever wash that ? it's filthy .... yes I wash it regularly, once after the winter salt's gone & again before it's MOT in June Smile

Edit : rolling laughter rolling laughter Ohh lok, I just got another red mark  rolling laughter rolling laughter

It was still funny!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Another reason to like your Silver Wing   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 6:25 pm

I was still working when I looked at the Swing. Since I serviced computers and POS register equipment, I looked for a bike with storage to carry monitors, keyboards, and computers. All which have to be protected from the weather here in Hawaii. In 2012 I found a 2002 Swing with a large GIVI top box. It served me well until I sold it in 2014 when I purchased the last new 2013 Swing for which I had to have it shipped from the Hawaii island to Oahu where I lived. I ride it every chance I can. Hope the rain stops by this afternoon, because I have a meeting downtown and will be riding my Swing. Well, it temporarily stopped raining. Need to go and get my lunch. Ride safe everyone!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another reason to like your Silver Wing   Another reason to like your Silver Wing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another reason to like your Silver Wing
Page 1 of 1