Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Cornering with silverwing - slow speed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
filipfg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Cornering with silverwing - slow speed Empty
PostSubject: Cornering with silverwing - slow speed   Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 5:38 pm

Hello everyone,

First i like to say hello to everyone, im new proud owner of Honda SW 600 from 2001.

The bike is awsome.

Since im a bit new driver i will ask, if someone else got this little problem like i do.

Its about cornering at slow speed(10-15 kmh or 5-10 mph), i dont feel like i have a full control of motor, and it starts to drag me on the side.(especialy right one)

First i was thinking it must be cuz im a new driver, and bike is heavy, but i tryed Burgman 650, and didnt have that problems of any kind.

I will just also add, that at higher speeds with Honda i got no problem with cornering and while im driving in straight line it goes straith.(it doesnt drag to any side)

Sorry for my english its not the best.

Cheerz!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Cornering with silverwing - slow speed   Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Hello filipfg. Welcome to the forum.

You might try applying the rear brake very slightly. That will cause a little drag on the rear which will assist you in making that turn. Try to keep your RPM up too so that the clutch says engaged. Practice, practice, practice.

Europe is a big place; where in Europe are you?

Tim
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Cornering with silverwing - slow speed   Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 8:28 pm

Welcome, and +1 from above comment.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Cornering with silverwing - slow speed   Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 9:36 pm

Welcome from o-HI-o and yes to the above also.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Cornering with silverwing - slow speed   Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Check the rear tire for cupping. It causes the rear to feel like it is slipping when cornering. Kinda like slipping on a rainy day. My 2¢.
Good luck and welcome to this great forum!
Back to top Go down
filipfg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cornering with silverwing - slow speed   Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 5:04 am

Thank you for the welcome guys.

@Cosmic_Jumper what u mean by "clutch says engaged"?
My board looks like this
Cornering with silverwing - slow speed Honda%20FJS%20600%20%206

@Easyrider
Sorry i dont know what cupping is, tires are new that im sure of.

When i see how this awsome dude is doing it from 7:20(and goldwing is a lot heavier), i just feel like something is not ok with the bike Sad

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Cornering with silverwing - slow speed   Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 7:46 am

Welll, given that it's a 2001, there could be something wrong with the frame. After all, you're probably the umpteenth owner, and who knows whether it's suffered some calimity under a previous owner.

"Clutch engages": So the scooter has a centrifugal clutch which engages, and disengages, at ~2300 rpm. No doubt, by now, you've noticed at sudden change (release) in engine braking when decelerating for a Stop sign, or "coasting" down a long hill, etc. That happens when the engine rpm slows to ~2300 and the clutch shoes disengage from the Final Drive. At that point the bike is effectively in Neutral and is coasting.

Similarily the bike won't move until the engine rpm raises to ~2300 when the clutch shoes expand and engage the Final Drive.

So the idea in slow speed maneuvering is to keep the engine speed up just enough so that the clutch is still engaged while simultaneously feathering the rear brake. You don't want to coast during those maneuvers.

I hope this makes some sort of sense.

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Cornering with silverwing - slow speed   Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 8:04 am

Only one thing improves slow speed cornering, practice, find a big parking lot, pick a time when traffic is low and start your maneuvers. Hopefully the security won't run you off very quickly.
The "freewheeling" " aspect of the bike was the biggest thing I had to get use to after ridding my G'Wing for many years, that and the REALLY good stopping power of the brakes. PRACTICE Smile
Back to top Go down
filipfg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cornering with silverwing - slow speed   Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 6:10 pm

@ Cosmic_Jumper

Thank you for taking the time to explain things. Its a lot clearer now, i will try to use it.

One thing before all i will do, is take the motorcycle at repair shop, so they can inspect the frame.

If they say everything is good, then its only up to me to learn it the right way.

@ oldwingguy

Thats good advice, i did start doing that 2 weeks ago, but , i wasnt making good progress as i would like, for 3-4 days i will advance(and i had to be like 100% focus), then next day, i had a feeling that i learned little more to corner at slow speeds  and i can relax a little bit while driving, but then at next moment i would again loose control over motorcycle and i was again back to square one, which is really frustrating.

And the thing that bothered me the most is that on my first ride with burgman 650(this is only thing i would give + to Suzuki, everything else Honda feels like a big brother  Smile  ) i could do it right away didnt need any practice at all(and its not like its a complete different bike, i have the same feeling when i sit on honda and on suzuki). Sad

Anyway as i progress i keep posting, tnx again all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cornering with silverwing - slow speed   Cornering with silverwing - slow speed I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cornering with silverwing - slow speed
Page 1 of 1