Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
not starting issue I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» New member from Europe
not starting issue I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
not starting issue I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
not starting issue I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
not starting issue I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
not starting issue I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
not starting issue I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
not starting issue I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
not starting issue I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
not starting issue I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

not starting issue

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bill tucker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bill tucker

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2017-07-23

not starting issue Empty
PostSubject: not starting issue   not starting issue I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 8:12 pm

ok I have a very odd issue , the day I bought my swing it leaft me at my fathers house 45 mils from my home , turn the key and didn't start ? I was not on side stand but didn't start , I put it on center stand and nothing , I had all lights on dash and head light worked fine . I was on the bike and rocked it off center stand hard and it started up. now its been doing that sporadically for over two weeks ? any one have any ideas. thanks Bill
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

not starting issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: not starting issue   not starting issue I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 9:17 pm

The jarring caused the cycle to start, so I'd say something is loose or not making contact. I'd begin at the battery connections. Check that they are clean and tight. From there I would take some contact cleaner to the start switch and look into what must be a safety switch at the side stand.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

not starting issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: not starting issue   not starting issue I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 pm

bill tucker wrote:
ok I have a very odd issue , the day I bought my swing it leaft me at my fathers house 45 mils from my home , turn the key and didn't start ? I was not on side stand but didn't start , I put it on center stand and nothing , I had all lights on dash and head light worked fine . I was on the bike and rocked it off center stand hard and it started up. now its been doing that sporadically for over two weeks ? any one have any ideas. thanks Bill

I published the solution for your problem, My post has been removed. lloyd193.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

not starting issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: not starting issue   not starting issue I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 12:13 am

Try cleaning the side stand switch.
Back to top Go down
bill tucker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bill tucker

not starting issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: not starting issue   not starting issue I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 6:01 am

I sprayed contact cleaner on the side stand switch , it doesn't seam to matter on how much I move the side stand also I checked battery and its good and connections are tight, lloyd193 I would appreciate any help with this and thanks everyone for your input.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

not starting issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: not starting issue   not starting issue I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 7:26 am

Ok, you've posted that the kickstand switch is OK and the battery terminals are tight/clean. Thinking back, I had the same happen to my SWing and that time it was in the start switch. Try hitting that with contact cleaner.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

not starting issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: not starting issue   not starting issue I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 7:39 am

Three ideas, in no specific order:

Check the left brake/start switch contacts. Its a micro switch in an awkward location so it's easy to have "reconnected" those wires yet missed the switch terminals. You could disconnect those two start switch wires (not the brake light wires) then jump them temporarily.

Temporarily bypass the the side stand switch.

Remove the left side panel, follow the battery wire to the Starter Relay under the rubber cover. Check those connections too. You could jump that relay too. But that relay does handle a whole lot of current, so be cautious.

I dont recall Lloyd's post, but he usually has some good ideas too.

Tim
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

not starting issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: not starting issue   not starting issue I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 11:19 am

bill tucker wrote:
I sprayed contact cleaner on the side stand switch , it doesn't seam to matter on how much I move the side stand  also I checked battery and its good and connections are tight, lloyd193 I would appreciate any help with this and thanks everyone for your input.

The start switch assembly on the Silverwing Scooters has been Defective for 15 years, It is plastic and after a few thousand starts it melts to the point where it is no longer reliable. Replace the right handlebar switch assembly and your problem will be cured.

To prevent further trouble with this switch, Use the following start procedure, Turn on the ignition Switch, Press and hold down the start button then press the left brake lever, The engine will start.

After doing this a few times it will become automatic.

The Brake light switch is durable and in the remote chance of failure it is easily and cheaply changed.

I have over the years dealt with this problem dozens of times, The experience I have passed on to you is fact not guess work. Happy motoring lloyd193. swing
Back to top Go down
bill tucker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bill tucker

not starting issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: not starting issue   not starting issue I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 1:53 pm

lloyd193 well I cleaned the start switch really good and the left break leaver switch with contact cleaner , so far its started 6 times in a row with no issue , its never done that since I've owned it. thanks so much for your wisdom, and thanks always for any advice from the rest of the group, you all have very good ideas about the swings and its very appreciated. Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

not starting issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: not starting issue   not starting issue I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

not starting issue
Page 1 of 1