Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Just returned from 36-37 day trip

Go down 
+5
Kenjj50
GHM-PM
dekare
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
9 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Just returned from 36-37 day trip Empty
PostSubject: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 10:34 am

Just got back from 36-37 day, approx 7,000 mile SilverWing trip.

Got back late yesterday afternoon, no damage to bike, other than burned out low beam.

No oil added---Walmart 10-40---will change oil & filter Saturday.

Tires...left with 6-7000 miles on matched set of IRC, Honda recommended...not best handling or feel...but they last on long trip. Check of my records....14,365 miles on set---rear worn square but still serviceable for another 1,000 miles. Front should last another 5,000 miles.

Went to UP of Mich, 60th school reunion in WI, on to Seattle, mostly back roads, Seattle to TN , Hwy 140 across Kansas, Hwy 60 in Missouri, got on I-24 to home.

Besides buffeting in certain wind conditions---tried open face/face shield/moving butt rest to bring me closer to tip of shield---end open face/butt rest in rear position. Feet forward riding position can be hard on body, period.

Road conditions not good--groves/rain groves/ruts/ SilverWing suspension really not up to it...when ridden like motorcycle, can get by at scooter speeds.

MPG=rough 55mpg, several tanks over 60 mpg. Strange areas look for gas every 100 miles---I hate walking or trip delays.

Cost....probably $3000----Temps several mornings at 40F, lucky I brought feather jacket liner----about 15 days of rain, worst in TN.

Clothes---Darien jacket pads out---works 40-85 degrees F, rain proof, used 15 year old Joe Rocket rain pant=dry but not most fun to wear/pee. Probably should have taken my Darien pants.
Jeans with no underwear=no hurting butt/seat discomfort.

Now worst mistake---wore my near end of service life Wolverine Waterproof wellington----they gave up ghost about half way--bought pair of WalMart $19.95 6 inch work boots==uncomfortable/ok in rain----they went in trash today.
Should have worn my Aerostich Combat Lite---they allow pants to be tucked in----pants flapping on long trip tiring.

SilverWing....takes more skill to ride successfully than reg. motorcycle....at 78 I may buy another motorcycle....love gas/clutch/rear brake control of motorcycle....and foot pegs to stand on when going gets ruff. Speeds used 50-60mph back roads, up to 75mph on smooth Interstate. Did not dump bike, but always strain in slow speed stuff-----bike loaded with 2 Ortlieb rubber bags/tools, water, etc underseat---top box light stuff. Dog in Givi hump bag--with safety chain, bag hooked to eye bolt and secured with velcro. He slept a lot.

Things lost=one pr wire frame glasses, 1 pr long underwear.

Last: SilverWing owes its great moving flexability to engine, not cvt---never did I feel need for more power.

Saw no maxiscooters.....lots of trailer bikers including trikes!!
One sidecar outfit----want to know how to clear the roads of Harleys?? Just rain...I guess no rainsuit is made in the Halloween/pirate costume style.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 11:06 am

Congratulations Mr Grinsel. Nice trip review. Welcome back.

Tim
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 5:50 pm

john grinsel wrote:
 Feet forward riding position can be hard on body, period.

Road conditions not good--groves/rain groves/ruts/  SilverWing suspension really not up to it...when ridden  like motorcycle, can get by at scooter speeds.

SilverWing....takes more skill to ride successfully than reg. motorcycle....at 78 I may buy another motorcycle....love gas/clutch/rear brake control of motorcycle....and foot pegs to stand on when going gets ruff.   Speeds used 50-60mph back roads, up to 75mph on smooth Interstate. Did not dump bike, but always strain in slow speed  stuff-----bike loaded with 2 Ortlieb rubber bags/tools, water, etc underseat---top box light stuff.  Dog in Givi hump bag--with safety chain, bag hooked to eye bolt and secured with velcro.  He slept a lot.

Saw no maxiscooters.....lots of trailer bikers including trikes!!
One sidecar outfit----want to know how to clear the roads of Harleys??  Just rain...I guess no rainsuit is made  in the Halloween/pirate costume style.

John,

I agree. Feet forward can be a blessing and a curse. I haven't done any long rides, but I do use the two positions I am naturally afforded on the Swing. Feet close in and feet extended, the only two choices we have.

Rough roads seem to translate to a rather rough ride on the SWing, I'll agree with that also. However, would you say the potential for a rough ride is present with any lighter bike, and not necessarily limited to the SWing? The alternative for a more quality ride might be the with GWing, but then again one is sacrificing agility (SWing) for a heavy bike and the weight and physical exertion that goes along with it. So pro's and con's with each IMO.

It amazes me that people have trouble balancing the SWing in slow traffic. After a couple years of riding/fighting/balancing a GWing with rider, I find the SWing very light and agile, a pleasure! Perhaps I should start a GWing boot camp! Wink

Love the dog bit! Too bad you don't have pics. Hopefully the two of you were let back in the house! And it seems every time I see a maxi scooter, I'm never in a position to be able to stop and talk. Frustrating!

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 8:19 pm

Light weight does not necessary mean ruff ride----suspension design is the trick----looking back my new R-27 BMW provided nice ride/handling, as did my several MZ's in the 80's did also ride nice and comfortable. SilverWing ridden 6-10 hours day= ruff, depending on road surface.

Do some long rides---buffeting also a problem.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2537
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks for sharing John! I will say you are one that uses your Silver Wing as it is intended!!! Few on here actually take trips on theirs. They are missing a lot. I am trying to plot my next trip now!!!

Ride on!
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2017 3:27 pm

Planning a 1000 mile trip on my SWing around Lake Michigan next week. Your jaunt makes my trip look like a cruise around the block! Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to it!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Kenjj50 wrote:
Planning a 1000 mile trip on my SWing around Lake Michigan next week.  Your jaunt makes my trip look like a cruise around the block! Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to it!

Best wishes for a safe ride, Ken. Good luck crossing that nightmare bridge too. And when you do get to the UP, a stop at Gustafsons is a must. http://www.gustafsonssmokedfishinc.com/products.html

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Bridge to Mich UP----if you are skilled rider, no problem----crossed it several times, both motorcycle and scooter.
silverwing just a little extra loose on grates.....no death grip on bars/relax/look ahead. As I recall only one lane in your direction is grated---construction can screw that up.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 23, 2017 5:35 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Bridge to Mich UP----if you are skilled rider, no problem----crossed it several times, both motorcycle and scooter.  
silverwing just a little extra loose on grates.....no death grip on bars/relax/look ahead.  As I recall only one lane in your direction is grated---construction can screw that up.

Bad enough in a car, can't even imagine a motorcycle!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 23, 2017 6:12 pm

Guess you are not really experienced rider. Only way to improve skill is do it.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 23, 2017 7:02 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Guess you are not really experienced rider.   Only way to improve skill is do it.

I guess I'm experienced enough in an automobile to know that a bridge would be nearly out of the question! Especially a bridge I've been over in a car to know better!

Crossed Lake Superior in Duluth on a solid bridge by cycle. That induced enough anxiety!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 7:41 am

Cars and bikes are different. Take advanced MSF Course. Improving your riding skills can be life saver. MC lic too easy to get in US
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 7:46 am

john grinsel wrote:
Cars and bikes are different. Take advanced MSF Course.   Improving your riding skills can be life saver.  MC lic too easy to get in US

I've taken an advanced course. There wasn't any of it pertaining to a fear of heights!
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 12:26 pm

Thanks for the ride report.

Did you take Highway 2 or 20 across Washington State? Both are great rides, but 20 takes you over the North Cascades National Park. I crossed that this weekend. We had a recent fire on both sides of the road. If you did take 20, did you get hooked up in the slide closure?

Do you use a throttle lock? I put one on my Silverwing last year and it seems to be a wrist saving device for sure.

Did you ride through Glacier NP?

By the way, where are the pictures? I have heard that if you don't share pictures, the ride didn't happen. Just what I heard.

How was the price of hotels / motels in the west? You quoted $3000 for the trip. How much of that was the motels? Did you visit and stay with friends along the way?

Sorry I missed your ride through the Pacific Northwest. I could have lessened your load with a guest room offer and a home cooked meal. It would have been great to meet you and to share motorcycle stories with you.

Thanks again.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 12:34 pm

I don't take pictures.

Crossed WA from on Interstate---been across on 2 and 20 before. I figure about $3000 total, including motels/gas//food/supplies.

Stayed with friends only in Bellevue and Arlington. Motels more relaxing for me after all the heat.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 7:11 pm

NEP throttle stop=used a lot
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 11:18 am

BTW John, as you were leaving for your trip you mentioned that your wife wanted you 'out of the way' so that she could sell the house. So was she able to sell the Chattanooga house in your absence, and if so, did she tell you where she moved to in Eau Clair? Rolling Eyes

Tim
Back to top Go down
dencart2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dencart2

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2016-05-19

PostSubject: You are amazing. Congrats on a great trip.   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2017 9:59 am

I just got home from a 2,203 mile trip to New Orleans and back and I feel like a major rookie compared to you.

I enjoyed the insight in your article since I have only been riding a year.
Just returned from 36-37 day trip Fully-loaded

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
http://denniscarter.net/Trips
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2017 8:20 pm

House is not sold yet---slow like the south.
Back to top Go down
cornishtrailsloth
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2016-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 11:06 am

sounds like a good trip John - I would miss the pack to lean on on the pillion seat - guess the dog wouldnt appreciate being leant on. Have you got a back rest?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 6:34 pm

No need for back rest.....ride in the attack mode all the time to stay alive. If you need back rest Utopia works but is heavy, requires stick to hold up seat in open position.... hve hadthree of them on various scooters.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Great review, good tips. Thanks for the knowledgeable post.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from 36-37 day trip   Just returned from 36-37 day trip I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just returned from 36-37 day trip
Page 1 of 1