Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Today at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Yesterday at 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Noise on Acceleration

Go down 
+6
lloyd193
steve_h80
Scootypuff Snr
Cosmic_Jumper
DickO
joeam
10 posters
AuthorMessage
joeam
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2017-07-14

Noise on Acceleration Empty
PostSubject: Noise on Acceleration   Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2017 10:04 pm

I'm hearing a clatter sound on acceleration sounds like a diesel clatter to me but i dont think its the engine any idea where to start looking?
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1017
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Noise on Acceleration   Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2017 11:26 pm

Hi "joeam",
The gurus will soon be advising you on this but I'm sure they will want additional information before they can determine a starting point... is the noise from any of the drive train components (the engine, variator, rear clutch, brakes, etc)?? Possible plastic panel clatter ?? Any info you can add will be a big help... by the way... welcome to site !!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Noise on Acceleration   Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 10:40 am

WT?! I hear a noise. What is it?

Sorry, my psychic powers just don't seem to be working today.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Noise on Acceleration   Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 4:58 pm

I'm afraid I hear a noise is a bit like the film line "I see dead people" unique to the individual.

If it's noise as you accelerate "gently" then it's normal (belt/roller take up etc) If you're new to bikes "every new sound is terminal"

Look at it as a car engine, if your car sounded that bad (Not a diesel) would you take it to a garage. If yes explore further, dealer advice costs nothing just don't get lead into  parting with cash through your inexperience.

Any biker mates to ask their opinion ride beside for a listen?
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Noise on Acceleration   Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 4:09 pm

If its a screaming noise it might be the pillion!
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Noise on Acceleration   Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 4:41 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
If its a screaming noise it might be the pillion!

:lol!:
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Noise on Acceleration   Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2017 10:55 am

joeam wrote:
I'm hearing a clatter sound on acceleration sounds like a diesel clatter to me but i dont think its the engine any idea where to start looking?

It probably is a Fuel clatter, Try a tank of high test and see if it goes away. Honda calibrated the FSC600 so near lean that in hot weather it is dangerous to the engine.

If your noise stops, I would put the bike on a high test diet to remove all the carbon deposits that the regular gas has built up. Happy motoring lloyd193. swing
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Noise on Acceleration   Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2017 6:32 pm

Try an "Italian Tune-Up". While sitting on the bike, hold the brakes on firmly and give full revs to the engine for NO MORE THAN 3 SECONDS! Then release the throttle and let it idle for a couple of minutes to let things cool down.

Mine vibrated and clattered like mad for a while when setting off. The windscreen and fairings would act as sounding boards to the point of being embarrassing.

I put it down to belt slap on the lower drive casing, probably aggravated by grease and/or dust contamination of the belt and clutch shoes.

Anyway, it did the trick - but no longer than 3 seconds or the clutch bell will overheat and get "blued", and you definitely don't want that to happen.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Noise on Acceleration   Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 6:08 am

I own a '09 which is high mileage and close to roller and belt replacement time. (sigh...again!) When I heard clattering the first time at around 20 000kms I was really worried, but the bike kept on going just fine. It starts up at around 4500rpm when accelerating and disappears at around 5000rpm when I have leaned into the throttle a bit. At my next belt/roller change it was gone for a while and then back again.
I reckon cagers must believe I'm riding around on a bucket of bolts when I pass, but after joining this forum and reading up a bit, I've realised the 'rattle' is just the rollers or belt slap - perfectly normal for a Swing with a bit of character.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Noise on Acceleration   Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 8:42 am

Mighty Mouse wrote:
I own a '09 which is high mileage and close to roller and belt replacement time. (sigh...again!) When I heard clattering the first time at around 20 000kms I was really worried, but the bike kept on going just fine. It starts up at around 4500rpm when accelerating and disappears at around 5000rpm when I have leaned into the throttle a bit. At my next belt/roller change it was gone for a while and then back again.
I reckon cagers must believe I'm riding around on a bucket of bolts when I pass, but after joining this forum and reading up a bit, I've realised the 'rattle' is just the rollers or belt slap - perfectly normal for a Swing with a bit of character.

I'll bet that, when you change the belt, if you also change to Dr Pulley Sliders in place of OEM rollers, AND pull the Driven Pulley, use sandpaper to deglaze the clutch bell & clutch shoes, that your noise goes away.

Oh yeah... Do a thorough cleaning of the accumulated belt dust & grime inside the belt case too. And don't forget to clean the belt case filter.

Tim

Well that's my 2¢
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Noise on Acceleration   Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 31, 2017 6:59 am

Thanks Tim. Would you believe Dr Pulleys already winging their way from Buggy Parts? The belt I can at least get locally. Unfortunately, they land here within a week and then take up to a month to get from the customs to a street address??? We are charged first world taxes, but get third world services......aaarg!
I'm lucky to have a good friend who is a Suzuki Burgman mechanic and happy to turn his hand to installing and cleaning things when I need it. So I'll be doing exactly as you suggest!

Hope this also helps you joeam!! Sorry to hijack your thread.
MM
Back to top Go down
DodgetheRog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DodgetheRog

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2017-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Noise on Acceleration   Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 31, 2017 9:11 am

Got a mate in South Africa to whom I sent a package. It took three days to get to SA and then five weeks to get to his house!
Back to top Go down
http://www.krfitness.co.uk
joeam
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2017-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Noise on Acceleration   Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 6:38 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions i'm leaning to the Noise being the belt and rollers i have several other motorcycles but this is my first scooter so i was a bit worried.thanks again...joe
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Noise on Acceleration   Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 10, 2017 3:40 pm

It took me a while to get used to it also. Remember the throttle body produces a lot of rumbling sound when first accelerating. Almost thought I had a cam change going bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noise on Acceleration   Noise on Acceleration I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Noise on Acceleration
Page 1 of 1