Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Getting ready for trip

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Getting ready for trip Empty
PostSubject: Getting ready for trip   Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Getting ready for trip to Eau Claire WI via UP of Mich---goal 60th High School reunion. Know routes I will take,dog riding on this trip in Givi Hump Bag---more restful for him...if he rides in top box, too stupid to put head in to rest, etc. Top box is ok for short trips for him.

Bike ready, arrangements made for rear tire at. half way point if necessary. Wife wants me/us to stay away for month as she is in charge of selling house....and dog and I are considered dirty/messy. With month to stay away may head for Washington state to see some friends.

Junk I carry goes in two rubber bags on passenger seat, including light camping stuff in case I am in mood or need to. And of course under seat storage for heavy stuff----Givi E-46 box now in 19th year is reserved for light stuff I need to get to in hurry....like when it rains!

Now comes my decision on riding clothes gear, having to contend with temps from 40's in UP to the 90's in the hot/humid south. Rainy days I ride thru. Over the years I have had quite a collection of riding stuff---got rid of a lot or it just wore out.
Don't like to get wet/cold or wet feet. Have overmitts for rain.

So Boots: can wear Aerostich Combat Lite, or Red Wing Irish Setters--neither water proof, so rubber over boots need to be carried. Have pair of 11" Wolverine waterproof wellingtons....on their way out/worn out but still waterproof.

Helmets: All well broken in---one Fulmer V2 (doesn't work well with face shield), One Fulmer AF 755--heavy, breezy, but great built in face shield, One Vega bright yellow with shield...does not work well without shield. Last Cyber U-6 with snap on shield that includes bill---light, all day comfortable.

Jackets---best Aerostich Darien, bright yellow, waterproof, works up to about 85-90 degrees F bit fiddly to wear OR leather jacket which is comfortable going thru the wind but not waterproof-so rain jacket required must be carried.

Pants---wear jeans-----have 15 year old Joe Rocket rain pants that work well including pee stops Or Darien Pants, again fiddly to wear, can get hot but 100 % keeps the rain out.

Now what does it cost to do this?? gas/food/sleeping I try to keep around $100 a day. Camping saves little as you have to usually pay. If house sells for more without me or dog, much better.

Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for trip   Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Sounds like a nice trip. From my military days I pack light; Full face helmet, Rain suit with booties/gloves, Air Tech jacket, sweat shirt with hood, Gortex riding gloves, Chaps, riding boots, 2 pair of thermal underware, neck gator. When it gets cold just put on the rain suit, keeps in the heat.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for trip   Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 13, 2017 2:14 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Wife wants me/us to stay away for month as she is in charge of selling house....and dog and I are considered dirty/messy.

:lol!: :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for trip   Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Lucky boy, most times the wife goes on a trip and I get stuck doing everything.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for trip   Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 14, 2017 10:11 am

Mr Grinsel, I'm always in awe of the amount of miles, especially long distance miles, you lay down in the course of a year.

What plans / prearrangements do you have in the event that something happens to your scooter which leaves you stranded. AMA recovery, AAA-RV recovery, some other recovery plan, rent a car & trailer or a van and head home? What do you do?

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for trip   Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 14, 2017 12:02 pm

I make no plans---for breakdown/Blow up. My insurance has towing. As SilverWing is now low value, just leaving it possibility----Mexico/Baja/Central America---comfortable with low value bike, used HELIX, Suzuki GS500E...in case of theft/blowup, no big loss.

Cell phone/credit card/knowledge of what is wrong works for me.....and don't worry.

Once my first Burgman 400 had casting oil leak----traded on spot, got Yamaha TMAX----I needed bike to go to work at that time.Burgman was under warranty, so dealer didn't mind taking it.

Carry tools to at least get wheels off, tie down straps in case of tow, tire pump and tire repair kit.

I don't ride junk that needs on the road work.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for trip   Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 15, 2017 6:58 am

After appointment at VA Dr this morning, leaving---this trip may be last on SilverWing---wife wants me and dog to be gone for month....so may end up in Washington state, down coast, back across AZ/NM/TX.

Clothes: Wolverine waterproof boots/Aerostich Darien Jacket/Cyper helmet and face shield/Joe Rocket rain pants----two Ortleib rubber bags-----dog in GIVI "hump" bag.

Wonder how much camping I will do? Drive belt fresh, carry spare. I don't keep exact records of money spent/gas cost/mileage...but expect 55 US mpg for trip maybe a little more if I go slow
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for trip   Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 15, 2017 7:46 am

john grinsel wrote:
After appointment at VA Dr this morning, leaving---this trip may be last on SilverWing

Oh, no John. Say it isn't so. That good huh? Sad
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for trip   Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 15, 2017 7:51 am

Ain't the last because I am going to die----last because this 2013 leftover SilverWing
will have reached the 50,000 miles I plan to ride/keep. Time for something else.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for trip   Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 15, 2017 5:05 pm

john grinsel wrote:
After appointment at VA Dr this morning, leaving <> wife wants me and dog to be gone for month....<>

OMG Shocked Yet another veteran driven from his home. Forced to live out on the streets. The "system" has failed us again. Where is the justice?!

Blame ( Hillary) (Trump) (greedy Wall Street bankers). Those bastards.

Sure she says it's only for "a month" now, but I do hope your Mrs tells you the address of where she is moving. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for trip   Getting ready for trip I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting ready for trip
Page 1 of 1