Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Enriching Fuel Mixture

Go down 
+3
john grinsel
Sidewinder Pilot
lloyd193
7 posters
AuthorMessage
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

Enriching Fuel Mixture Empty
PostSubject: Enriching Fuel Mixture   Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 1:59 pm

The Fuel to air Ratio can be Changed on Computer Governed systems, Not by defeating the Computer as most try to do, But by having the Computer do the job for you, By Changing the Information the computer receives it will compensate and accomplish your objective.

On the Silver wing locate the Temperature sending wire at the bottom of the Radiator, This is the wire connected to the temperature gauge. I like Cutting this wire in an accessible place before it enters the harness with other wires. Install a Linear Pot, A Rheostat, reconnecting the cut wire. These are available at Radio Shack, Cheap. To verify that you have done this correctly, With your pot adjusted to off, After your Bike is warmed up you should by adjusting the pot cause the bike to richen to the point it blows out black smoke. Now for some Spark plug Reading, The proper color should be Light Tanish White to light Tan.

Find a good place to test, Run your Bike 0 to about 80 at full throttle, Shut the key off and remove a plug and look at its color. Turn your pot up slightly and retest, After you have obtained the correct plug reading Remove your Pot Carefully and take an ohm Reading with your Multi Meter. Buy a Resistor of that value and solder it into your wire at the cut you made earlier. I bend the Resistor wires into a hook as well as the wires so that I have a good mechanical connection before I solder, Using a Piece of Heat Shrink tubing covering this area completes the Job.

Accomplishing this job will insure that your bike is Not Lean at full throttle and will not melt or transfer metal inside your engine. Bleach White or Grayish White Plugs are on the Very Lean Side and long periods of wide open throttle can do engine damage. This modification has not shown to lessen the bikes overall fuel mileage. You will notice a Stronger wide open throttle top End. Happy Motoring lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Enriching Fuel Mixture   Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 5:17 pm

There ya go Lloyd, way to stir up the Old Farts!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Enriching Fuel Mixture   Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 6:29 pm

why bother? They run just fine out of the box. Had 2 new SilverWing. Seem to last well over 50,000 miles with little fuss. 50,000 miles is my usual trading point----sure SilverWing will run 100,000 plus with proper care. I hate to pore money in vehicle with decreasing used value.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Enriching Fuel Mixture   Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 9:35 pm

Very interesting information, Lloyd. Dunno how many Silverwings you may have done this "Fuel Mixture" mod on, but the coolant temperature sensor unit is located at the top on the engine at the coolant outlet junction attached to the left side of the cylinder head --between the cylinder head & the thermostat housing.

Alternatively you could do the same variable resistor (potentiometer) ECU Hacking trick on the IAT sensor on the right side of air box or quite probably to the MAF sensor as well. Either of these sensors feed the ECU with information which varies the air/fuel ratio.

Not to be confused with the Power Commander, that simple IAT hack is the basis for many of those black box ignition mods available on eBay.

Also, given that the 2008 & later Silverwings have O2 sensors in the exhaust and a re-mapped ECU, the fuel injection & air/fuel ratio are part of a closed-loop system. Seems to me that any hacking of the input(s) to the ECU would soon be "corrected" because of the closed-loop O2 circuit.

The above said, it is possible that the closed-loop feedback info might be effectively and momentarily shut down in a WOT or drag race condition because the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is also a factor in the closed-loop system.

Tim
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Enriching Fuel Mixture   Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeFri May 26, 2017 9:00 am

Cosmic Jumper, You are absolutely correct, My memory Temperoraly faded on the Temperature Sending Unit location on the Silverwing, I work on so many bikes Sometime I should not talk from memory about the location of various parts. Thanks for correcting my Error. Happy Motoring lloyd 193
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Enriching Fuel Mixture   Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeSat May 27, 2017 2:22 pm

Cosmic Jumper, Tim, Thanks again for your Input. I am able to accomplish the desired richening on the earlier bikes with the Temperature sending Circuit. I have not personally put the resistor in any of the O2 sensor equipped bikes or done any plug readings on the later Silver wing bikes, However one of the Guys that works with me has put the resistor in his temperature sender wire and tells me it does the richening. That makes sense since the O2 sensor is looking for Oxygen. Here in Florida near Sea Level and with the extreme heat we have here, It is imperative that these bikes not be allowed to go lean, At high speed they will melt a piston in short order and you know what a big Job it is to rework that upper. Happy Motoring Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Enriching Fuel Mixture   Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeSat May 27, 2017 8:05 pm

I put seafoam in every other tank of gas in all of my motorcycles.  They seem to run forever cuz they are all Honda made.  

I agree with John.

Seafoam in the gas and Starbucks in the cup.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Enriching Fuel Mixture   Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2017 10:06 am

Modernman 1953, Using a Fuel system cleaner periodically is advisable, Next time you have that container of sea Foam open, Smell it then smell a container of Laquer Thinner. Happy motoring, Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Enriching Fuel Mixture   Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2017 8:21 pm

Sea Foam is mostly naptha most lacquer thinners are based on acetone. Both are strong solvents.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Enriching Fuel Mixture   Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2017 11:38 pm

exavid wrote:
Sea Foam is mostly naptha most lacquer thinners are based on acetone. Both are strong solvents.

Thank you Paul for the clarification.

I have to remember to drink the Starbucks and pour the Seafoam into the gas tank.

If I keep those two things straight, I am good to go.

Paul, I was in Medford a month ago and ate at the BBQ place just off of down town by that weird statue. Best BBQ I have had in a very long time.

Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Enriching Fuel Mixture   Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2017 2:07 am

Sweet Tea barbecue, definitely good. Our old Goldwing group has had dinner there several times. We pretty much fill the place and some of the outside tables too.
The weird bird statue is in front of the Blackbird store. They sell sporting, hunting, and sports supplies and clothing, in fact just about everything a working man needs.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Enriching Fuel Mixture   Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2017 5:19 pm

exavid wrote:
Sweet Tea barbecue, definitely good. Our old Goldwing group has had dinner there several times. We pretty much fill the place and some of the outside tables too.
The weird bird statue is in front of the Blackbird store. They sell sporting, hunting, and sports supplies and clothing, in fact just about everything a working man needs.

I can see why that is a ride to eat destination. My girl friend and I had the $30 dinner for two in there and that was enough to feed a hungry family of four.
Back to top Go down
BarryH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2017-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Enriching Fuel Mixture   Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2017 6:20 pm

In my old road racing days we used a Rheostat on a Kawasaki GPZ1100, a telephone repair guy who knew my mechanic hooked up an adjustable rheostat to the fuel injection and it worked well, We ran methanol and could adjust the bike on the track..good post brought back memories
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Enriching Fuel Mixture   Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 9:32 pm

Any idea where the rheostat was connected in the FI circuit?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Enriching Fuel Mixture   Enriching Fuel Mixture I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Enriching Fuel Mixture
Page 1 of 1