Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
Gianfri
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Gianfri
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2017-02-25

Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? Empty
PostSubject: Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?   Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Hello,

I am looking for a replacement for the stock windscreen, which is a tad too tall for me. Would the Givi Air-Flow windscreen be adjustable enough that it could be shorter than the stock Honda one?

Also, can the top part be easily removed? I want to buy an enclosed trailer but the current windscreen does not clear the loading ramp.

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?   Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Yes, and yes.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?   Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 10:40 am

Take it off in less than 4 seconds. The top can go back on in 7 seconds.

It actually works well as a wind screen with the top off. By design it deflects quite a bit of wind away from the rider.
Back to top Go down
Gianfri
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?   Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 11:22 am

Thank you all for the information. That is the way to go then!
Back to top Go down
Gianfri
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?   Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 11:41 am

One more question. Do I have to drill holes to install it? I think they sell an "optional" installation kit that is recommended but not required - any advice on this? Thank you.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?   Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 12:26 pm

To 'drill' the extra hole either side if using the extra brackets, all you need is a sharpish drill bit of about the right size and a firm but gentle hand.
The captive nut is behind the plastic; just grip the bit tightly, exert some pressure whilst turning it and you will cut through without damaging the threads at the top of the nut.
It really is very straightforward.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?   Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 12:46 pm

Modernman1953 wrote:
It actually works well as a wind screen with the top off.  By design it deflects quite a bit of wind away from the rider.  

I disagree with your claim, it doesn't and it's horrendous. After losing my first top screen at 70mph I still had about 100 miles to ride home. The ride went from comfortable and quiet to a cacophony of wind noise and wind chill.

In fact when I got up high on the A66 Trans-Pennines road I was to stop and put on an extra insulating layer as I was shivering. When I got home I was chilled, my jacket and helmet and visor were covered in dead insects and splattered bugs.

The wind noise was awful, usually my Schuberth helmet and custom fit ear plugs effectively cut down harmful noise. The noise and discomfort of riding without the top screen for a couple of hours overwhelmed the effectiveness of my ear plugs, and my ears were ringing for hours afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Gianfri
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?   Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Mike0: are the extra brackets required? Recommended?

Meldrew: so sorry to hear about your bad experience. May I ask how you lost the top screen? Are they not stable enough?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?   Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 3:36 pm

There has been much debate about the extra brackets; I fitted them as they were supplied and I thought I had to; it was not difficult.

However, subsequently it was said on this forum that the mounting kit was universal for Givi Silverwing screens and that the brackets were necessary only for the tall screen.
I can't say either way since I simply don't know. It does make sense, though.

If you do fit them you will possibly feel more confident with the whole business.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?   Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 6:12 pm

I highly recommend the brackets. Without them the windshield is only supported by the rubber mounted nuts. By having the brackets in place there is much less flex in the wind at speed. Also that rear most screw being attached to the bike's frame makes for a much stronger mount. I've installed two non-adjustable Givis and one adjustable one. I put the first one on sans brackets and ended up removing it to install the brackets because I didn't like the flexing in windy conditions.
Back to top Go down
Gianfri
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?   Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Do the brackets come with tha windscreen or do they need to be ordered separately?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?   Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 19, 2017 12:26 pm

Mine came with the screen, as did all the bolts and other bits.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?   Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 19, 2017 2:45 pm

Depends on the seller. Twisted Throttle is where I purchased two Givi shields provided the intallation kits (brackets and screws) with the windshield. Other vendors may charge extra for them. Right now Twisted throttle has reduced prices on both the Adjustable and fixed windshields.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-airflow-windscreen-for-honda-silverwing-600-01-13
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?   Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 2:51 am

Meldrew wrote:
Modernman1953 wrote:
It actually works well as a wind screen with the top off.  By design it deflects quite a bit of wind away from the rider.  

I disagree with your claim, it doesn't and it's horrendous. After losing my first top screen at 70mph I still had about 100 miles to ride home. The ride went from comfortable and quiet to a cacophony of wind noise and wind chill.

In fact when I got up high on the A66 Trans-Pennines road I was to stop and put on an extra insulating layer as I was shivering. When I got home I was chilled, my jacket and helmet and visor were covered in dead insects and splattered bugs.

The wind noise was awful, usually my Schuberth helmet and custom fit ear plugs effectively cut down harmful noise. The noise and discomfort of riding without the top screen for a couple of hours overwhelmed the effectiveness of my ear plugs, and my ears were ringing for hours afterwards.

Sorry you had a problem with your shield and had that much distance to travel without the top part.

I never said it would be comfortable at 70 mph.  The factory screen was terrible at 70 mph as well.  I meant riding around the city at 45 mph in 80 degree temperature, as it does ok in that type of service.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?   Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi Air-Flow windscreen-Can it be shorter than the stock WS?
Page 1 of 1