Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Modernman's trailer hitch

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

Modernman's trailer hitch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modernman's trailer hitch   Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 9:38 am

Another great shot Modernman1953!
Please tell us what you can about your trailer hitch. What is the tongue-weight of what you tow?
Mike
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Modernman's trailer hitch   Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 10:50 pm

Mike from NS wrote:
Another great shot Modernman1953!
Please tell us what you can about your trailer hitch.  What is the tongue-weight of what you tow?
Mike

Mike,

Thank you for your kind words.  

I am not sure what the tongue weight would be.  Since I own a Goldwing, if I am towing a trailer, I am using the 1800 Goldwing.  However, I do use the hitch using a hitch rack at times and I either have a cooler on the rack or a rack bag.

This is the rack that I use:

Modernman's trailer hitch 7643
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Modernman's trailer hitch   Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2017 8:26 am

Thanks for the reply, Modernman.

I've been thinking of adding a hitch for towing a light trailer with a canoe or small (light) 8' row boat a short distance. Now, wouldn't that look funny (aka: strange) to see a bike chased by a canoe down the street.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Modernman's trailer hitch   Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2017 2:37 am

There is plenty of power to pull and I believe enough braking to stop a cargo trailer. If the Silverwing was my only bike, I would tow the trailer with it.

Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Modernman's trailer hitch   Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2017 7:36 am

Modernman1953 wrote:
There is plenty of power to pull and I believe enough braking to stop a cargo trailer.  If the Silverwing was my only bike, I would tow the trailer with it.

Just because one can, doesn't mean one should. Plenty of power yes. Braking power or should I say emergency braking, doubtful. What happens if a tire blows on the trailer doing 55 MPH and the trailer starts to wobble. Just sounds like an accident waiting to happen. And finally, Honda does not endorse pulling trailers period. I've found it in my GWing and also Silverwing manuals. With that being said, I do have a hitch on my GWing and have pulled a light Harbor Freight trailer loaded lightly.
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Modernman's trailer hitch   Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2017 1:59 pm

The Silverwing is quite capable of pulling a trailer and the braking is sufficient even in an emergency. I tow mine regularly during the summer months with no problem. I keep the nose weight quite low and within the max permitted MGW and have never had any problems pulling off either on either level or hill start and I do ride to the British speed limit which is 60MPH max. I am sure that there are very little or no manuals that say that a particular manufacturer or model is suitable for towing and I am insured through my scooter insurance to do so. With regards to blowing a trailer tyre I have not had any experience of this, I keep the tyres and a spare in good condition and at the right pressure on the  trailer and I would assume that is not a lot different from having a blow out on  one of the scooter tyres especially the front which I have only had experience of once (not very nice). As I have said before riding with a trailer is different and not every ones cup of tea but I quite enjoy towing but more care has to be taken. I might add I have also made I rack for it too, now the tent sits on top and I can adjust the position forward and back to adjust the extra nose weight to compensate for the wife's air dryer, make up and straightener's etc., it also travels more securely now . There are several photos in my album if any one is interested showing the scoot and trailer before the rack was made with me and the wife on a camping weekend at Skegness.   Pud.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Modernman's trailer hitch   Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2017 5:49 pm

vmaximus wrote:
There are several photos in my album if any one is interested showing the scoot and trailer before the rack was made with me and the wife on a camping weekend at Skegness.   Pud.

I'd be interested in viewing those pics. I clicked on your posting name, but nothing comes up for an album. Is this something you would need to post a URL to, and is independent of this particular site?
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Modernman's trailer hitch   Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2017 4:29 am

Dekare, just look in vmaximus photo's, they were there last night I just couldn't figure out how to post them with my reply. Pud.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Modernman's trailer hitch   Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Click on 'Album' in the blue strip under the Forum Picture at the top of the page.

Then click on 'Users Personal Albums'.

Go to Page 5 and you will see 'vmaximus'.

Click on the name and all will be revealed!
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Modernman's trailer hitch   Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2017 6:02 pm

I have my hitch for sale in the for sale section.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modernman's trailer hitch   Modernman's trailer hitch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modernman's trailer hitch
Page 1 of 1