Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Newbie from Scotland

Go down 
+10
Old Limey
Cosmic_Jumper
Meldrew
Mike from NS
oldwingguy
mcneill
Kenjj50
limpinggeoff
"Hi Yo"
corduraman
14 posters
AuthorMessage
corduraman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2016-11-28

Newbie from Scotland  Empty
PostSubject: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2016 4:51 am

Hi folks - currently on a honda Sh300i however I enjoy reading about other larger displacement scooters - including the Swing
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Newbie from Scotland  510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2016 1:47 pm

corduraman wrote:
Hi folks - currently on a honda Sh300i however I enjoy reading about other larger displacement scooters - including the Swing

welcome welcome welcome

Careful, S'Wing fever is contagious. Laughing
Back to top Go down
limpinggeoff
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
limpinggeoff

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2015-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2016 4:50 pm

Welcome Corduraman, My Silverwing came from north of the border and was well looked after, Hope you get a S/W soon. Take care
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Welcome from the Land of Lincoln...Illinois, USA. Look forward to seeing more of your posts and any photos of Scotland from your scooter would be well received!
Back to top Go down
corduraman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2016 9:37 pm

Kenjj50 wrote:
Look forward to seeing more of your posts and any photos of Scotland from your scooter would be well received!
Well since you asked
Newbie from Scotland  Img_0212
Newbie from Scotland  Img_0211
Newbie from Scotland  Img_0210
Newbie from Scotland  Img_0213
Newbie from Scotland  Img_0215
Newbie from Scotland  Img_0214
Newbie from Scotland  Img_0216
Newbie from Scotland  Img_0311
Newbie from Scotland  Img_0217

Last edited by corduraman on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:27 pm; edited 12 times in total
Back to top Go down
mcneill
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2016 5:17 am

Hi, and welcome.

Great pictures!

Where in Scotland are you? I'm in Musselburgh and wondering if there are any more local members here.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2016 7:21 am

Welcome from o-HI-o, nice bike nice pics.
Back to top Go down
corduraman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2016 8:37 am

mcneill wrote:

Where in Scotland are you? I'm in Musselburgh and wondering if there are any more local members here.
Mill of Haldane near Balloch loch lomond
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2016 10:01 am

Hi there corduraman ... and welcome from New Scotland!
Great bunch of people here with vast amounts of knowledge, which, they don't mind sharing at all.
The 300i looks great!
Mike
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2016 6:44 pm

Mike from NS wrote:
Hi there corduraman ... and welcome from New Scotland!
Great bunch of people here with vast amounts of knowledge, which, they don't mind sharing at all.
The 300i looks great!
Mike

You do realise on another forum and under another forum name, corduraman has been slagging off the Silver Wing as being overweight and thirsty, and their owners as slow riding elderly pensioners. I'd say he's now realised the error of his ways. Wink
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2016 7:14 pm

'Slow riding pensioners'? Well I hardly think that we'd fall into the crotch-rocketeer demographic.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2016 2:11 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
'Slow riding pensioners'? Well I hardly think that we'd fall into the crotch-rocketeer demographic.

What about these tales of "blasting through the twisties" that occasionally surface on here. Smile
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2016 5:30 am

I do hope this post is in the "other bikes" section. I come on this website Silver wing 600 because I own and ride a Silverwing600. I also own and ride a Burgman 400 but, this is not the place to show pictures or debate about my Burgman, they have their own site.
Back to top Go down
corduraman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2016 7:23 am

Just to set the record straight - I am also a contributor to maxi-muppets / maxi-scoots / advrider / bcf all of whom accept comment negative or positive on any motorcycle or scooter - my observations on the Swing being a tad heavy both in weight and fuel consumption was gleaned from internet reviews of this scooter by reliable sources - hardly slagging the Swing off as suggested by Meldrew - and if Old Limey cares to actually read my introduction he will note that I clearly state that I am not an Swing owner and that I uploaded a few images from beautiful Scotland at the request of Kenjj50
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2016 9:14 am

Great pictures! I was in Scotland a couple of years ago. I didn't have my SWing, but thought at the time it would be a beautiful country to ride. Thanks for the pictures. Don't get too concerned about gripes and whines. It happens occasionally regardless of the topic! I just wish more riders would post photos of their trips. They're nice to see.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Ahh, Scotland. Thanx for the pix. I love riding up there.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2016 5:37 pm

corduraman wrote:
Just to set the record straight - I am also a contributor to maxi-muppets / maxi-scoots / advrider / bcf all of whom accept comment negative or positive on any motorcycle or scooter - my observations on the Swing being a tad heavy both in weight and fuel consumption was gleaned from internet reviews of this scooter by reliable sources - hardly slagging the Swing off as suggested by Meldrew - and if Old Limey cares to actually read my introduction he will note that I clearly state that I am not an Swing owner and that I uploaded a few images from beautiful Scotland at the request of Kenjj50

Let's see now, your observations were as a forum jockey with no experience of the Silver Wing at all. For a start you quoted something written by a British bike journo about his experiences riding a very early Silver Wing criticising it's poor fuel consumption.  

You were obviously unaware that article was published way back in June 2001. Anyone interested in and riding maxi scooters back then like myself knew that was a minus for this big new Honda right from the launch. Similar articles were also published in magazines like Twist & Go at the time.

In fact the thirsty reputation that early model Silver Wings gained in the press put me off buying one for years, so I went through a Burgman phase Now after six years owning a Silver Wing I've no interest in Burgmans at all.

Despite the fact that fuel efficiency between early model Silver Wings and the later O2 sensor fitted models has been done to death on maxi forum topics, you had no idea of that important difference too. Yet you rather sarcastically disputed the mpg I quoted from the occasional fuel figures I've logged in notebooks, knowing absolutely nothing about the ’08 onwards Silver Wing’s improved fuel efficiency.

Then there's the Silver Wing's weight, it's 247kg and has a twin cylinder engine, so wouldn't expect it to weigh more than the single cylinder step thru scooters you're used too.

I don't find the weight a problem, even loaded up for solo or rider and passenger touring, and I'm a pensioner. What I do know after two years ownership of the 30kg heavier 650 Burgman, that first 50 miles ride home from the dealers on the lighter Silver Wing was a relevation. The Burgman was also physically harder to move around at home especially with a cold engine.

Another small thing, this pensioner hasn't put his Honda away until next April like you have because we've had the odd bit of early morning winter frost.

So maybe when you've run out of Bonnie Scotland photos to post with your step thru, I'll give you my next set of mpg figures to rubbish, I don't think I've noted any down since I fitted Iridium plugs a while ago.  Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2016 7:11 pm

Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight!

Oops sorry Twisted Evil

JB
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2016 9:26 pm

Meldrew,
I swapped my used 2002 Swing for a 2013 because I wanted the O2 sensor and ABS. I have not seen any improvement in MPG (us gallon). I am still getting around 50MPG as I did with my 2002. Is there a service procedure for the sensor?  I have not found a procedure.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2016 4:37 am

US gallon is less than Imperial gallon, so your figures are about the same as other Silver wing riders in US. Sensor has no service as far as I know.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2016 4:59 am

Easyrider wrote:
Meldrew,
I swapped my used 2002 Swing for a 2013 because I wanted the O2 sensor and ABS. I have not seen any improvement in MPG (us gallon). I am still getting around 50MPG as I did with my 2002. Is there a service procedure for the sensor?  I have not found a procedure.

As you pay peanuts for your fuel in the US compared to what we have to for ours in the UK, I really don't see a problem. Plus your 50mpg in US gallons is 60 mpg in our UK gallons, and my 70mpg would be 58mpg to you.
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2016-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2016 3:48 pm

How much is fuel in the UK now?
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2016 5:38 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
Meldrew,

As you pay peanuts for your fuel in the US compared to what we have to for ours in the UK, I really don't see a problem. Plus your 50mpg in US gallons is 60 mpg in our UK gallons, and my 70mpg would be 58mpg to you.
Meldrew,
Yea I know the difference. What I am trying to say is that the O2 did not improve my mileage as I had hoped regardless the cost per gallon, US or UK. I seem to remember DennisB did something to service his sensor to fix a problem he had. It had something to do with the oil he used.

BTW - Is Dennis OK? Hope that he is recovering well. Have not seen him posting lately.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2016 6:24 pm

Reg. Unleaded at the Supermarkets ASDA and Morrison's currently 1.09 pounds per litre . Main Road petrol stations anything up to 1.18pounds per litre.
Back to top Go down
corduraman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2016 6:45 pm

Yes Old Limey - and if you purchase forty pounds worth of groceries you get a litre for 99.9 pence
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2016-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2016 10:37 pm

That is about $1.86 cnd.
It cost $1.03 / liter in Canada. (varies abit from place to place.) If I cross the border into the US it is about 20 cents less per liter. All in Canadian money. So the US is less than half the UK price.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Scotland    Newbie from Scotland  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Scotland
Page 1 of 1