Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, I am opening this site back up for new members. I closed it due to a few members complaining. Please just accept the site for what it is. The site is 'what it is'. We hope you enjoy the site. Please also join www.maxi-scoots.com

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Black scooter with scratches and swirls
by RayWilcox Today at 2:59 am

» Global Recession
by exavid Today at 1:18 am

» windshields--maxi scooters
by Cookie Yesterday at 4:39 am

» Cheap SW battery.
by Dale N. Yesterday at 12:41 am

» The garage is getting crowded
by bikehiker Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:58 pm

» Issues with DrPulley purchase.
by oldwingguy Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:35 pm

» Hand shields from Givi
by joebillybobinark Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:45 am

» New Silver Wing rider from Poland
by Greysilver Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:11 pm

» New radiator needed
by Mrmoz Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:26 am

» Sat-Nav mount
by Dale N. Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Fram 6017A cut open

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GHM-PM
Site Admin

Number of posts : 1470
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Fram 6017A cut open!   Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:12 pm

Well as promised, recently I changed my oil and removed the above filter. The Fram had about 2900 US miles on it and to clarify some of the comments and accusations I agreed to cut it open (not bright am I?).

Anyway I used a dremel-type tool with a diamond bit to cut through the outer case. Pictures below:

Before picture of filter.

Picture of case cut. Much thicker than I expected. Not sure the photo shows that however.

All pieces shown.

Base of filter.

Filter end and filter.

My thoughts? I am not sure what the end pieces are made of but it appears to be a fiber material of some sort coated with a synthetic (plastic?) material. Cardboard? Perhaps, but there was absolutely no sign of separation in this case, I did try and peel it back by hand and didn't have any luck. Probably could have removed it with tools.

The filter itself appeared in good shape and I didn't see any chunks on it so all must have been OK!!! No tears in the element etc.

In summary, I would use a Fram filter without reservations. Like any filter I would NOT exceed the manufacturer mileage specifications. Currently I have a Honda OEM on my SWing but again I would not worry about using a Fram. My Honda OEM cost me 10 bucks while O'Reilly's has the Fram for 5.99.

This is subjective; if you truly feel Fram makes a bad filter don't USE one! And as an aside I am sure that a bad filter can be gotten from any manufacturer at some point. Kind of like oil filter roulette. Hope this information is helpful!

Last edited by GHM-PM on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Fram 6017A cut open
Page 1 of 1