Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» two months since SilverWing traded
by exavid Yesterday at 21:54

» Disappointed in high speed hiway travel
by Dale N. Yesterday at 21:53

» Water on spark plugs inside the engine
by exavid Yesterday at 21:43

» Got hit at a stop sign from behind
by exavid Yesterday at 21:29

» First Canyon Ride on Silver Wing
by Pastor Ron Wed 22 Nov 2017, 17:28

» Fuel Pressure Regulator
by codge Wed 22 Nov 2017, 16:55

» New windscreen
by kbcmdba Wed 22 Nov 2017, 16:26

» About our Paint
by janitorj1 Wed 22 Nov 2017, 12:25

» Homemade variator tool
by cliffyk Tue 21 Nov 2017, 16:39

» Dr Pulley sliders
by cliffyk Tue 21 Nov 2017, 13:31

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Fram 6017A cut open

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GHM-PM
Site Admin

Number of posts : 1225
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Fram 6017A cut open!   Wed 03 Apr 2013, 13:12

Well as promised, recently I changed my oil and removed the above filter. The Fram had about 2900 US miles on it and to clarify some of the comments and accusations I agreed to cut it open (not bright am I?).

Anyway I used a dremel-type tool with a diamond bit to cut through the outer case. Pictures below:

Before picture of filter.

Picture of case cut. Much thicker than I expected. Not sure the photo shows that however.

All pieces shown.

Base of filter.

Filter end and filter.

My thoughts? I am not sure what the end pieces are made of but it appears to be a fiber material of some sort coated with a synthetic (plastic?) material. Cardboard? Perhaps, but there was absolutely no sign of separation in this case, I did try and peel it back by hand and didn't have any luck. Probably could have removed it with tools.

The filter itself appeared in good shape and I didn't see any chunks on it so all must have been OK!!! No tears in the element etc.

In summary, I would use a Fram filter without reservations. Like any filter I would NOT exceed the manufacturer mileage specifications. Currently I have a Honda OEM on my SWing but again I would not worry about using a Fram. My Honda OEM cost me 10 bucks while O'Reilly's has the Fram for 5.99.

This is subjective; if you truly feel Fram makes a bad filter don't USE one! And as an aside I am sure that a bad filter can be gotten from any manufacturer at some point. Kind of like oil filter roulette. Hope this information is helpful!

Last edited by GHM-PM on Thu 04 Apr 2013, 08:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Fram 6017A cut open
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1