Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Instability in wet weather
by lloyd193 Today at 09:56

» Locked Topic -
by Meldrew Today at 04:12

» How to mount Bestem top case?
by Meldrew Today at 02:29

» Another hello from The Netherlands (Arnhem)
by Dale N. Today at 00:01

» Air horns on Silverwing scooter
by oldwingguy Yesterday at 13:27

» Tyre pressures
by Cosmic_Jumper Yesterday at 10:23

» Potential Newbie
by MikeO Yesterday at 06:38

» Speed vs rpm
by steve_h80 Tue 19 Sep 2017, 15:23

» Greetings from the extreme South West of England
by Scootypuff Snr Tue 19 Sep 2017, 13:45

» drive belt measure tool
by The Bern Tue 19 Sep 2017, 06:21

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Linked brake usage advise

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2016-11-05

PostSubject: Linked brake usage advise   Fri 18 Nov 2016, 14:08

So I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to use the brakes. It seems that when I just pull the rear brake lever it applies pretty much the perfect amount of both brakes. It almost seems like when I pull the front brake lever it doesn't really do a lot.

Coming from motorcycle brakes I'm honestly not sure how I should be using the combination. It's not like I'm having any trouble stopping it just seems like I'm just sort of giving a random amount of front and rear lever without much difference in respect to how much I use of either.

Can anyone share their experience and let me know how they best make use of the system?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Linked brake usage advise   Fri 18 Nov 2016, 14:16

Kenny,
I have been riding my Swing since January of 2012 and had to figure out how to use the linked brakes. I generally use the rear lever for most situations. I use the right lever when more braking is deemed necessary. Sometimes I will use the right lever just before coming to a stop just to keep the rotor and pads clean.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2195
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Linked brake usage advise   Fri 18 Nov 2016, 14:58

Linked Brakes-----use right lever, both brakes are applied, rear coming on first.....this makes rear usable in slow speed handling/balancing aide and based on my experience in ice/snow/gravel, used gentle front wheel won't lock and cause dump over. Straight line braking I always apply both levers together....emergency it is habit you have max braking available.

ABS, if you have it prevents wheel lock up.

As long time rider, I prefer non-linked....because of use of rear alone/me making decisions, rear great balancing aid....I rode over 20 years in Japanese traffic.

I have no complaint with SilverWing brakes on my 2013-----pad life appears to be at least 50,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Linked brake usage advise   Fri 18 Nov 2016, 15:01

Makes sense guys.

John I checked to make sure and it's actually the left lever that operates the rear brakes/linked and the right operating only the front.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2195
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Linked brake usage advise   Fri 18 Nov 2016, 15:42

I got right and left mixed up. sorry.

Left controls both brakes, rear coming on first. Right is front alone.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin

Number of posts : 2346
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Linked brake usage advise   Fri 18 Nov 2016, 15:47

I use the rear brake to scrub off speed and the front brake to finish thing up. Hope that makes sense.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Linked brake usage advise   Fri 18 Nov 2016, 16:01

I tend to use the left lever for most normal braking/stopping. If I need to brake a bit harder e.g. when there is a road junction at the bottom of a hill, in 'frisky' traffic or in an emergency then I use both levers together.
If I go into a corner a bit too fast and need to scrub of a bit of speed then I use the left lever gently.
For manoeuvring around in car parks or on/off the driveway I just use the left lever.

I rarely use the right lever on its own - it's either just the left or both together.

The left lever only really applies a small amount of front brake, it only activates one piston out of the three in the front calliper (and the smallest one at that).
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Linked brake usage advise   Fri 18 Nov 2016, 20:09

Ditto what Cookie said for me. Left brake gets the most work, but both of my hands cover both of my brake handles..... out of habit.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Linked brake usage advise   Fri 18 Nov 2016, 20:30

It all makes sense for sure. I think I'm just having a hard time with my right hand not being in charge of braking:)
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2067
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Linked brake usage advise   Fri 18 Nov 2016, 20:34

Just remember what trainers tell boxers, "lead with the left". Use both brakes but lead with the left, or rear. You can use the linked brakes as if they weren't linked since most of the effort goes to the rear and less to the front. It's not like both brakes go on with the same force. The "Ride like a pro" videos by Jerry Palladino will work as well on scooter as on a motorcycle. We don't have a clutch to use as he describes but other than that it's easy to adapt his method for a CVT rig. I can do circles with the handlebars all the way over, also figure eights with the handlebars hard over. I first learned Jerry's method when I got my first Goldwing. I was pretty intimidated by that big, heavy bike but using his method soon found it easy to make a U turn in a pretty narrow street. With a good bit of practice I was able to do consecutive circles with the handle bars on the GW all the way over in each direction. Works on the Silverwing as well. A few hours of practice is time well spent. Besides it's fun to hone your riding skills.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Linked brake usage advise   Fri 18 Nov 2016, 20:39

I haven't seen those videos. I'll check em out!

I've been on bikes my whole life but I definitely need to spend a few hours in a parking lot of get used to the scooters unique handling.
Back to top Go down

Linked brake usage advise
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1