Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Waterproof sat nav case

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2016-09-16

Waterproof sat nav case Empty
PostSubject: Waterproof sat nav case   Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2016 12:33 pm

Hi Forum.  Great news!  I'm picking up my first SWing tomorrow.  Whoop!  I've bought a Garmin 6" sat nav, but, stap me, there are no waterproof cases in which it will fit available to purchase, not even on eBay..!  Can anyone recommend a case with mount, please?  The Garmin unit is 17cm x 10 x 2.  Thanks, guys.  
Incidentally, I'm getting a 2008 model with but 7000 miles on the clock.  SWeet.   Bit of an adventure; I've gotta get the train to Lincolnshire - 4 changes - and then ride ma new hog back 300 miles to Devon, all in one day, and the latter half of my journey looks to be replete with type 7 rain; lord-a-lordy.  It will be worth it!    Wish me luck, flipside dudes.

Update.  Well, flip me, I made it alive.  Thanks for the valuable experience, Storm Angus!  I got my Silverwing and it's a beaut.  Excellent condition and a swish ride, albeit tested only in v harsh conditions - type 9 rain in places, khriiist!  And my gear was definitely not "waterproof".  Gordon Bennett, it was an ordeal.  Still, I now have my SWing and it seems like a SWeet ride; I was impressed with how you can be cruising at 70, power on and feel it move.  Excellent.  The fitted screen must have offered some protection, but I'd forgotten how bleedin' loud the wind noise is at those speeds.  I just happened to have some ear plugs with me and they made it a much more comfortable tide.  I mean, ride.  However, a screen tall enough that I would have to look through would have obscured my view in the horrid weather even more.   My preference is for rain-repellent coated (Rain X) clear goggles as I find the visor less good than this, but I will try it again with more Rain X on it.  
Has anyone got any suggestions for improving visibility in night rain..?

The SWing is a heavy bugger, though.  I nearly dropped it sideways at one stop..!

Last edited by jaquesaulait on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:45 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof sat nav case   Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2016 1:59 pm

Enjoy the ride home lol, at least silverwings give decent westher protection.
There are plenty of motorcycle satnav cases out there, but for smaller units. Google motorcycle sat nav case and try your luck.
Back to top Go down
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof sat nav case   Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2016 2:02 pm

Cheers, Stevo.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof sat nav case   Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2016 3:41 pm

If I haven't welcomed you to the forum before this; Welcome, Jaques.

Smile Please don't refer to your Silverwing as a "hog". That term belongs to that 
motorcycle favored by the pirate-costumed crowd. We've risen above that methinks.Rolling Eyes

Tim
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof sat nav case   Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2016 8:49 pm

Welcome aboard and enjoy your SWing! I use a zip lock bag on my GPS in the event of precipitation. That said however I live in Arizona where rain is not common. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof sat nav case   Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 1:50 am

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest.

I use a zip lock bag like Glenn spoke of.
Back to top Go down
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof sat nav case   Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 9:27 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
If I haven't welcomed you to the forum before this; Welcome, Jaques.

Smile Please don't refer to your Silverwing as a "hog". That term belongs to that 
motorcycle favored by the pirate-costumed crowd. We've risen above that methinks.Rolling Eyes

Tim

Thanks, Tim. I use the term, hog, in a post-ironic fashion in order to raise the ire of those who might not deem the SWing and its ilk 'proper' motorbikes. Foolish fools. We're all two-wheeled siblings of the road innit.
Back to top Go down
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof sat nav case   Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 9:28 am

GHM-PM wrote:
Welcome aboard and enjoy your SWing!  I use a zip lock bag on my GPS in the event of precipitation. That said however I live in Arizona where rain is not common.  Good luck.

Thanks, G. A good suggestion, bit I'm gonna go for something a little more tailored. :-)
Back to top Go down
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof sat nav case   Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 9:29 am

Modernman1953 wrote:

Cheers, M. (But how do you attach it to yr bike?)
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof sat nav case   Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 11:56 am

Sounds like you've enjoyed the ride despite the puddles.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof sat nav case   Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 5:00 pm

jaquesaulait wrote:
Modernman1953 wrote:

Cheers, M.  (But how do you attach it to yr bike?)

I use a high tech bread sack wire tie. Note, I only use it in a down pour. My GPS is mounted on my handle bar brake handle bolts and it is behind the windshield and it doesn't get wet unless I am traveling in heavy rains and I am stuck in slow traffic.

Often times, in that environment, I might just remove it and stow it away but I do haul a baggie and a wire tie in case I am in a situation where I need the GPS.

I do the same thing with my phone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof sat nav case   Waterproof sat nav case I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Waterproof sat nav case
Page 1 of 1