Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What does ABS mean
by cliffyk Today at 16:32

» 25g Dr Pulley sliders fitted.
by bill tucker Today at 15:51

» Front brake disk hole
by steve_h80 Today at 15:18

» Hello from Japan
by Pastor Ron Today at 14:08

» New to Silverwings
by Pastor Ron Today at 14:06

» New to the forum
by Modernman1953 Today at 13:08

» Do you eat Euopean pork sausages, please read
by biker Today at 08:22

» Tight skirt
by cliffyk Yesterday at 22:45

» Silverwing Service Manual PDF
by lloyd193 Yesterday at 19:31

» Pulled over at 2am.
by Reg Yesterday at 19:26

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

HyperPro and/or Suspension Mods - Hands On Experience

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sonuvabug
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: HyperPro and/or Suspension Mods - Hands On Experience   Tue 20 Sep 2016, 16:50

I'd like to hear from those who have made modifications to their SWings to achieve better front and rear end handling response and performance. I am particularly interested in what you did, how much it cost, and what differences (positive and negative) you've experienced over the OEM set up. After a week of hard, fast riding on some very technical mountain twisties, I want to research what might be done to improve the handling of my SWing.

With all due respect to those who are happy with their bog standard OEM SW and who have not actually experienced the type of modifications I am asking about ... I already know what you believe. I want to hear from those who can provide a compare and contrast between OEM and modded. Others need not waste their time stating their perplexions as to why anyone would want to change a perfectly good OEM setup. I totally get that you're happy with what you've got. I'm looking for better if it exists.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1974
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: HyperPro and/or Suspension Mods - Hands On Experience   Tue 20 Sep 2016, 16:56

Hyperpro springs are a common front end mod,
They are progressive springs that reduce nose dive.
They also handled better.
When I got them they were around $125.00 IIRC
Of course that was one of my first mods over a decade ago.
Cost more to have my mechanic install then to buy the parts.
Would I do it again? Absolutely.

Dan

Last edited by dspevack on Tue 20 Sep 2016, 17:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1974
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: HyperPro and/or Suspension Mods - Hands On Experience   Tue 20 Sep 2016, 17:06

This is my best recollection of my experience on silverwing forums since 2003.
Some people are unaware that the OEM rear shocks have an adjustable preload.
But that has its limits too.
The earliest company to make rear shocks for the Silverwing was a company called Hagon.
Don't know who is doing it now.  
Most of the people that fitted them did so because they were overloading the bike.
The bike has a suggested weight limit of 386lbs.
Riding two up, some couples exceed that.  Some also exceed that single plus touring gear.
More than one couple posted that they exceeded the limit and still added their touring gear.
In every case I recall, the settings of the stock shocks simply were not strong enough for the weight put on it.
I don't recall anyone raving about how rear shocks improved the handling under normal circumstances.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: HyperPro and/or Suspension Mods - Hands On Experience   Tue 20 Sep 2016, 19:34

I also have been researching these mods.

One notable feature of the Hyperpro's is they are longer, as you remove the stock preload spacer when installing them, this is probably one of the reasons users have reported better handing.

Below are my sources for the Hyperpro front kit and the Hagon shocks for the rear.

If you go this route let us know your results.

Hyperpro Swing fork springs-$159

SP-HO06-SSA016
To order, call EPM Performance Imports at 877-786-6543

Silverwing (FSC600) Aftermarket Rear Shock Absorbers

Hagon Shocks are UK shocks but are available from two sources in the USA. They have a 2 year warranty, come with a black body & chrome (Oooo!) springs. They are not rebuildable, have three position adjustable spring preload and the springs can be tailored to your maximum load capacity needs at the time of order. They are 425 MM long. Part number 42501. They are ~$244/pair + shipping.

I think they also make a rebuilable version with adjustable rebound and compression as well as preload.
I do not have the P/N for these, but recall they're about $500 pair, you would have to ask them as I no other info.

Hagon Shocks, LLC
1788 La Costa Meadows Drive
Suite 101
San Marcos, CA 92078
760.510.2758 fax
Email: hagonshocks@yahoo.com
www.hagonshocksusa.com

-And-

Dave Quinn Motorcycles
335 Litchfield Turnpike
Bethany, CT 06524-3505
Fax 203.393.1725
Email: dqmcs@earthlink.net

another rear option-

YSS Shocks are the current replacements for the famous Wilbers shocks. YSS Shocks have three position adjustable preload springs and are rebuildable. The springs can be tailored to your need at the time of order also. There are two versions of YSS Shocks to fit Silverwings:

RZ362-420TR is a gas/emulsion shock with adjustable damping. They are $499/pair + shipping.
RE302-420T is a standard hydraulic type shock. They are not adjustable and are $299/pair + shipping.

YSS Shocks are available from:

Klaus Huenecke
EPM Performance Imports                                        
P.O. Box 40  Tennent, NJ 07763 USA
Tel / Fax:: (732) 786-9777  Toll-Free: (877) 786-6543
Email: info@epmperf.com
www.epmperf.com

Another shock I was able to find was  Ikon p/n 7610-1656 (for 400/600)
https://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/product-category/honda/silverwing-400/

Of course you should verify any part number with the supplier for compatibility before ordering as my information could be in error.

Last edited by Sidewinder Pilot on Tue 20 Sep 2016, 22:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin

Number of posts : 2272
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: HyperPro and/or Suspension Mods - Hands On Experience   Tue 20 Sep 2016, 21:50

sonuvabug wrote:
I'd like to hear from those who have made modifications to their SWings to achieve better front and rear end handling response and performance.  I am particularly interested in what you did, how much it cost, and what differences (positive and negative) you've experienced over the OEM set up.  After a week of hard, fast riding on some very technical mountain twisties, I want to research what might be done to improve the handling of my SWing.

With all due respect to those who are happy with their bog standard OEM SW and who have not actually experienced the type of modifications I am asking about ... I already know what you believe.  I want to hear from those who can provide a compare and contrast between OEM and modded.  Others need not waste their time stating their perplexions as to why anyone would want to change a perfectly good OEM setup.  I totally get that  you're happy with what you've got.  I'm looking for better if it exists.

CathyN has both HyperPros and Hagons on her '09 and rode those same twisties last week too. Hopefully she'll chime in here about her experience with these suspension upgrades for you.

Meanwhile you could add a 10mm spacer to the OEM front springs and change the fork oil to 20wt, the same as supplied with the HyperPro kit.

I've had HyperPros on both my '03 and now my '09 and notice a big improvement over the OEM front suspension. As soon as my budget allows I'll be adding Hagon's to the rear.

Sorry I missed riding with your group last Saturday.

Tim
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: HyperPro and/or Suspension Mods - Hands On Experience   Wed 21 Sep 2016, 07:16

sonuvabug wrote:
I'd like to hear from those who have made modifications to their SWings to achieve better front and rear end handling response and performance.  I am particularly interested in what you did, how much it cost, and what differences (positive and negative) you've experienced over the OEM set up.  After a week of hard, fast riding on some very technical mountain twisties, I want to research what might be done to improve the handling of my SWing.

With all due respect to those who are happy with their bog standard OEM SW and who have not actually experienced the type of modifications I am asking about ... I already know what you believe.  I want to hear from those who can provide a compare and contrast between OEM and modded.  Others need not waste their time stating their perplexions as to why anyone would want to change a perfectly good OEM setup.  I totally get that  you're happy with what you've got.  I'm looking for better if it exists.

Hi Len,

I replaced my front springs with Hyperpro's in 2013. I saw a difference in how the front tire didn't dive down.  This past winter Bob replaced the rear shocks with Hagon's.  They are a much better improvement. The bike feels more in control.  I really felt more In control in all those twisters last week.  With the Hagon's the bike sits a bit taller.  So when the kickstand is down it leans over more.  Bob attached  a 3/4 inch piece of wood to the bottom of the side stand which makes the lean a bit less.  It works for me.

I ordered them on line from The place listed above out of California.
Warning:  Good customer service but they are made in England. I ordered right before Christmas they told me about a month because of the Holidays.  I received them the beginning of March. Some delay in England.  When they came in they shipped them right away.  They were $279.00/pair USD.

Was great meeting you and Karin.  Hope to see you next year.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: HyperPro and/or Suspension Mods - Hands On Experience   Wed 21 Sep 2016, 08:24

Hey all, great input ... exactly what I was looking for. Dan, I know you made a ton of mods to your previous SWing and I appreciate your input. Sidewinder ... thanks for sharing all of your research. Make sure to post a review with pre/post suspension mods if you go forward. I appreciate reading first hand accounts from people who have been there - done that.

Cathy, I wish I had known you had these mods ... I would have sat down with you last week and picked your brain. Thanks for sharing.

Bottom line is it sounds like all of you who have done the shock/spring mods are happy with the results you achieved. Like Tim has, I might start with the front end because that's where I think the greatest handling gains can be had (for my needs anyway) plus I like the price a bit better than the $500 for the rears which is a bit spendy for me right now.

Thanks again everyone. Great information!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 371
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: HyperPro and/or Suspension Mods - Hands On Experience   Wed 21 Sep 2016, 16:19

Cosmic_Jumper said:
Meanwhile you could add a 10mm spacer to the OEM front springs and change the fork oil to 20wt, the same as supplied with the HyperPro kit.

I did the spacer thing on my 2002 Swing with 15wt fork oil and did not like the stiffness of my mod, and ended up replacing the spacers with the OEM spacers, but kept the heavier weight oil. It was better, but portholes and tarmac patches were a lot more noticeable than when the front end was stock.
I don't plan to modify my 2013 Swing. I have not felt the front end bottom out, but I see where my wiring for the front running lights are scratching the top of my front fender. The wires are about 3-4 inches above my fender. Will be tying the wires higher.

Last edited by Easyrider on Thu 22 Sep 2016, 16:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1291
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: HyperPro and/or Suspension Mods - Hands On Experience   Thu 22 Sep 2016, 06:20

I notice a big difference with Hyperpro springs along with my Trigg trike kit applying pressure to the front .. Bottoming out is not as harsh. One of my better mods, That and going to the DS. No regrets .
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: HyperPro and/or Suspension Mods - Hands On Experience   Thu 22 Sep 2016, 08:27

Tinman ... what's "DS".
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1291
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: HyperPro and/or Suspension Mods - Hands On Experience   Thu 22 Sep 2016, 09:07

Go on Utub and look for ( Riding on the Dark side)
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: HyperPro and/or Suspension Mods - Hands On Experience   Thu 22 Sep 2016, 09:09

OK ... I'm quite familiar with darksiding.
Back to top Go down

HyperPro and/or Suspension Mods - Hands On Experience
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1