Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Too Bouncy

Go down 
+17
The Scootist
dekare
Easyrider
phils a winger
sonuvabug
Reg
janitorj1
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
Meldrew
The Bern
Flyingpanman
Old Limey
Kevin Jackson
exavid
oldwingguy
Toolman
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Toolman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2016-08-24

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 12:05 am

So I love my Wing, but, it's too bouncy on a rough fwy. Honda could have done better with that I think. I do work for a aftermarket coil-over shock company 2 doors down from my shop. Their main plant is in Taiwan. I'm a cnc guy and I have to say, these guys do great work. They said they would build a set of shocks just for a Wing knowing there is a void in this area. The shock builder is called "Gears".

So I am giving my bike to them for a while. I've been told the shocks are done and the main shock guru is bringing them here from Taiwan himself in a week or two. So the guys next door come over to tell me they have to take the whole back of the bike apart to get the shocks off....WHAT!!!  No way! The shocks are going to be on and off the bike many times to dial them in. Well, I'm a tooling guy so here's what I did. I don't know why Honda didn't do this.

Figure out where the shock nut is behind the plastic. (I just centered it on the radius)

I used a 1 1/2" hole saw with an 3/8" air ratchet because that's the only thing that would fit in the storage area.

Pop the hole thru. The guide drill only needs to stick out 1/4" from the saw itself.

Plug hole with 1 1/2" stainless sheet metal plug.

I tested the idea. I takes 5 mins to get both shocks off.
Attachments
Too Bouncy AttachmentDSCN0681.JPG
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(127 Kb) Downloaded 68 times
Too Bouncy AttachmentDSCN0683.JPG
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(125 Kb) Downloaded 61 times
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 7:59 am

I like that, minimal invasion maximum convenience, thank you. I've made " improvements" to my G'Wings to get at areas covered for no logical reason. If I ever have to get to my shocks that will be the way in, adding just a touch of sealant to the S.S plug for water control.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 12:08 pm

Great idea. I have the same complaint with my BMW C650GT, it sure doesn't ride as well on rough roads as my Goldwings did. I can put up with it for the other advantages and greater utility.
Back to top Go down
Kevin Jackson
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-08-17

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 6:18 pm

wow. that's awesome! cheers
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 3:56 am

Why not just adjust the rear shocks?
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 5:02 am

Old Limey wrote:
Why not just adjust the rear shocks?

Because, as far as I know, the only factory adjustment on the rear shocks is the spring preload. There's no adjustment for hydraulic damping rate. On some bikes, the damping rebound rate is adjustable via a little screw on the rear shock absorbers.

Say you sat on the bike with rear shocks in position 2, and you weigh 9 stone, the seat would drop (for arguments sake) 2". I weigh 18 stone and when I sit on it, the seat would drop 4" and that robs the suspension of 2" of travel. Adjusting the preload on the springs can bring that balance back to where the seat only drops 2" when I sit on it.

Spring preload adjustment helps maintain the ride height but there is still a problem. At 18 stone, my mass is greater and when that mass starts bouncing around on the end of the springs, it takes far more hydraulic resistance to keep it under control than your puny 9 stone. It's like the difference between a Ping-Pong ball and a cricket ball, the lighter one is easier to catch in flight than the other.

It's possible the rear shock hydraulic damping rate is changed by rotating the spring preload adjustment, but that is probably not the case in view of Honda's OEM penny-pinching components.

Changing the viscosity of the oil in the front forks gives some damping adjustment there and other changes (springs and valves) are possible because the forks can be disassembled.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 5:05 am

Another member did the same a while back but used a 20mm hole saw & used electricians 20mm (rubber) blind grommets to fill the holes, your way is as good but possibly easier for some/most to find a 'sparky' than a sheet metal shop.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 6:22 am

I've covered plenty of miles with Mrs M and full touring kit and never even thought about. Rear springs set to 5, extra psi in the rear tyre, and that's it. Our combined weight and kit weigh well over 18 stone, more in the mid twenties.

The continuing thread in this and similar posts about uprating fork springs, rear shocks, and all this biker nonsense about pre-load etc, is trying to make a Silver Wing into a motorcycle and it isn't. Get over the fact it isn't a Gold Wing, Pan European, Harley Davidson, or whatever you were used to before, and thinking it's flawed because it should handle like one. Get with the programme, you ride a maxi scooter.  Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 6:51 am

Just returned from SilverWing trip to Nova Scotia-----SilverWing just wasn't designed for ruff North American roads-----smooth European roads and those in Japan---it would work fine. I am leaving my 2013 stock. Waste of money sticking money ----on obsolete model, that is also heavy, too large, not very handy because of its size
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 8:08 am

Meldrew wrote:
Get with the programme, you ride a maxi scooter.  Smile

I'm with the "programme" as I've bought a maxi-scooter. But it's not quite that simple!

Every machine on this forum has probably had modifications (e.g. your own lengthy list of "farkles") that the owner deemed suitable for his personal machine. Some may have more technical know-how and wish to delve further and that is their prerogative.

It is usually quite possible to improve upon what is, let's face it, a design/costing/sales/rider/cultural/geographical compromise.

One size doesn't fit all, but the Silverwing has had a good stab at it and is an excellent "off-the-peg" machine. If you're happy with one as it comes off the sales floor then, "Suits you sir". Laughing

I prefer bespoke Razz

... or customised, or customized, or farkled, or blinged... but all in the best possible taste. Cool
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 9:20 am

john grinsel wrote:
smooth European roads  

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 9:38 am

My Silver Wing came out of the Honda dealers new with heated grips, wind deflectors, and a Givi rack. I fitted an Airflow, stuck a Givi top box on the rack and I was good to go. Then later a few bits that took minutes to put on, mirror extenders, fork protectors etc. The rest of the stuff is what I've used on previous maxi scooters over the last 20 years, in fact the Ortlieb bags I use were bought in Germany in my GS phase in 1991. I'm not wasting money fitting stuff that I can't remove to return the scooter to standard trim.

The only expensive items since have been my Garmin sat nav, Touratech lockable sat nav holder, and a Wunderlich spoiler, again all removable bits. The only items that I can't salvage are the Ariete alloy racing valves I had fitted when I changed tyres, I'd remove the Iridium plugs and uprated headlamp bulbs if I could use them on my next maxi.

I've never gone down the J.Costa, Power Commander, Dr Pulley, HyperPro route, I haven't the slightest interest or inclination to go there either.

So that lengthy list is just the few things I've added for rider comfort, and all the junk I have at my disposal for touring.
Back to top Go down
Toolman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 11:17 am

Believe me, I've tried everything. Pre-load, air pressure, ect. I've just decided to throw some effort into this problem since I have experts at my disposal. These guys have all the R&D eqpt. My belief is the Silver Wing is not sprung/valved correctly from the factory both front and rear and there are enough of them in the world that "Gears" is going to give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 3:12 pm

Many here will agree that the rear suspendion is 'less than adequate'. Hagon seem to be the go-to upgrade though some have reported success with Fournales air shocks. Unfortunately they are very expensive and pretty much unobtanium here in the States.

We're all looking forward to hearing your results --and bang for a buck.

Re front suspension; Hyper Pro seems to be the way to go. All who've done that upgrade have reported marked improvements.

Tim
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-09-07

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 4:39 pm

Well, I see Cosmic Jumper has changed his picture. I've been pondering the first one and have concluded it is from an old Beatles album - but I'm probably wrong. Now this one has me stumped. Hippie-esque no doubt!

Anyway off to research Hyper Pro.

I think my Swing rides fine, but I've no previous experience with other bikes. Well I had a Vino (49cc), and a 87 250 Helix like - forgot the exact model name.

OK, back on topic. My apologies.

Jon
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 5:17 pm

janitorj1 wrote:
Well, I see Cosmic Jumper has changed his picture.  I've been pondering the first one and have concluded it is from an old Beatles album - but I'm probably wrong.  Now this one has me stumped.   Hippie-esque no doubt!

Thanks for your interest, Jon.

Cosmic Jumper is/was a Peter Max character (?) able to leap thru space & time. When I got back in to riding I thought that Cosmic Jumper was an apt name for my new ride. While by now I've worn out a few scoots, the handle stuck. Now here I am.

Hippie-esque, yes. Peter Max did the art work for the Beatles Yellow Submarine along with a lot of other stuff in that period. I enjoy his work along with that of Salvador Dali, who's melting watches now seem appro for my age & questionable memory.

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 6:44 pm

Back to basic question----how old is bike? How many miles?
Weight of rider? Total load? Old bike may just need new shocks.
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2016-08-07

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 10:09 pm

Could it be worn out shocks or low preload setting? I don't find mine boucy.
Back to top Go down
Toolman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 11:11 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Back to basic question----how old is bike?  How many miles?  
Weight of rider?  Total load?   Old bike may just need new shocks.

I weigh 180 lbs, w/wife 300 lbs. It does better with her on it. Bike is an '02 w/ 3k miles. I took off old shocks and apparently all the nitrogen has leaked out (if there was any). But the shocks look like something off of an old '70's XL250. They are really cheap crap. I went to Honda to get new ones.........$250 each!!! You have to buy the shock/spring assembly. You can't just buy the shock. So I decided to go down a different road.

Last edited by Toolman on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Toolman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 11:15 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Many here will agree that the rear suspendion is 'less than adequate'. Hagon seem to be the go-to upgrade though some have reported success with Fournales air shocks. Unfortunately they are very expensive and pretty much unobtanium here in the States.

We're all looking forward to hearing your results --and bang for a buck.

Re front suspension; Hyper Pro seems to be the way to go. All who've done that upgrade have reported marked improvements.

Tim

I'll check into the Hyper Pro's after we get the main offender dealt with. Thx
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2016 3:48 am

toolman. I found them here a bit cheaper. 163 each.
Shock Assembly
Back to top Go down
Toolman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2016 10:34 pm

Wow, that's a lot cheaper! Thanks Reg!
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2016 4:33 am

Try Wemoto.com they can ship a pair of Hagon's to the US for $289.87
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 10:55 am

Meldrew wrote:
... snipped ... The continuing thread in this and similar posts about uprating fork springs, rear shocks, and all this biker nonsense about pre-load etc, is trying to make a Silver Wing into a motorcycle and it isn't. Get over the fact it isn't a Gold Wing, Pan European, Harley Davidson, or whatever you were used to before, and thinking it's flawed because it should handle like one. Get with the programme, you ride a maxi scooter.  Smile

I hold a different opinion.  First I agree that making a Swing into something it is not nor ever could be (i.e. riding like a specific motorcycle like a GoldWing) is a challenging if not impossible exercise.  However, there are many things that can be done to improve the ride and handling of just about any vehicle including a Swing.  

The factors at play are what the owner wants, what the machine's capabilities/limitations are, what solutions are available (i.e. Hyperpro, Hagon etc.) and how much money you want to spend.  

I do not think it is nonsense to pursue the quest for better handling if that's what you desire because it is possible.  I've done it with other vehicles with great success and satisfaction.  For me, I don't think investing in the required modifications to make my Swing handle better is something I really desire or want to spend money doing.  Having said that, to each their own and more power to the folks that want to pursue a better riding and handling machine.

FWIW, if I really wanted a better riding and handling Swing, I'd go the custom route and replace the entire front end (triple tree, forks, suspension, rims, tire size, brakes etc) with solutions that would give me a huge leap forward in handling and ride responsiveness.  Same with the back end.  Again, not worth the money or resources for me to do this.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 12:31 pm

I'm always bemused by the number of new (used) Silver Wing owners that join this forum and straight away they're complaining about handling, lack of legroom, seat comfort etc, or asking about starting procedure, or how to use the main stand etc. If it's not suitable for you, why buy one in the first place.

As for the machines capabilities, how many riders actually push a bog standard Silver Wing to the limits of it's capabilities. How many even ride with the extra weight of a passenger and/or a load of extra kit. In fact for some owners riding in the rain is beyond their capabilities. Upgrading fork springs etc isn't going to change that.

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 1:22 pm

I am with you Meldrew well said.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 1:48 pm

Thanks mate! Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 1:49 pm

I never rode a Silverwing before I bought mine.
I knew it had small wheels and what that meant.
It is exactly what I thought it would be. A big scooter.
I am not dissapointed that it doesn't ride like my vtx with 18" wheel and 800lbs of mass.
But it's easy to manouver around town, good on gas, cheap to maintain and costs far less for insurance.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 2:10 pm

It's EZ for me because it's EZ to ride with my bum feet, it gets GOOD fuel mileage and with a backrest mod comfort will be even better. Gone are my days of 600 / 800+ mile days with a passenger so no need for much else. Keep it well maintained and ride until I can't. As the saying goes ride your own ride, for safety and comfort. This site got me rolling and I like the banter.

Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 3:46 pm

Meldrew wrote:
... snipped ... As for the machines capabilities, how many riders actually push a bog standard Silver Wing to the limits of it's capabilities ... In fact for some owners riding in the rain is beyond their capabilities

Total agreement with these statements. However, for those who want to make changes/upgrades and get as much out of their ride as possible ... why not? As long as they know their own ... and the machine's limits.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 4:32 pm

Agree with Meldrew. SilverWing remains a scooter regardless of what you do....but it is heavy, too big, horrible buffeting in stock form.....and not made anymore. I get a kick out of owners buying 10 or more year old scooters and expecting like new performance. Good deal now is prices for used SilverWings are low.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 7:03 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I'm always bemused by the number of new (used) Silver Wing owners that join this forum and straight away they're complaining about handling, lack of legroom, seat comfort etc, or asking about starting procedure, or how to use the main stand etc. If it's not suitable for you, why buy one in the first place.

Due to old injury legacy, I wanted a step-through and a more-or-less feet forward riding position. So I researched (this forum also) and concluded a Silverwing would suit me best - but I'm also aware of the limitations of a small-wheeled scooter. I test rode a few, but I had to "buy one in the first place" as I don't know anyone who'd let me have a 3 or 4 week test ride!

In the 3,000 miles I've done since I bought it in June, I've started with back pain. Whether that's due to the scooter or not, I can't really say. I built my own back rest, and that has helped a lot.

When you're 6' 3", most vehicles lack sufficient legroom but the addition of a cushion and the backrest has made a huge difference. I was pretty sure these would help before I bought it, but now I want to try a couple more things before throwing in the towel.

With 10,000 miles on it the tyres need changing. Maybe some new, and perhaps more compliant, rubber might help. After that, I'm going to take it to a suspension specialist who works for a well-known racing team. No, I'm not going to race it - I just want his opinion on what changes could be made to make the ride a little more supple. Hyperpro and Hagon are mentioned often here, and maybe he will agree, I don't yet know.

Meldrew wrote:
As for the machines capabilities, how many riders actually push a bog standard Silver Wing to the limits of it's capabilities. How many even ride with the extra weight of a passenger and/or a load of extra kit. In fact for some owners riding in the rain is beyond their capabilities. Upgrading fork springs etc isn't going to change that.

Upgrading fork springs can improve things in some of those scenarios. You don't have to push a machine to "the limits of it's capabilities" to appreciate the difference some upgrades can make.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 4:52 am

Flying panman at 6'3  and weighing over 18stone I doubt there is any machine other than the Goldwing that would suit you. My son in law is 6'4  and weighs about 16stone, he had a Burgman 650 ,he said the seat was uncomfortable, he now has a 1200 Yamaha that suits him better. I had an operation in 2010 on my lower back and a disc was replaced(this was the reason I started riding a scooter). I use a a kidney belt support I got from Aldi some years ago and it does help support your back. Or you could always  design and build your own Scooter or two wheeled vehicle or even a tricycycle
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 5:53 am

I often wear a kidney belt for for back support and comfort on long rides and it adds warmth in cold weather, I've even worn one on horse riding holidays. Try one before spending hundreds of pounds on fitting harder fork springs or rear shocks (which add nothing to the resale value down at the dealership at trade in time). My Knox back protector also has a kidney belt and the back protector adds support to the upper back too.

I've also mentioned a few times that wearing Lycra type boxer shorts with no seams in the butt area to cause pressure points and hot spots is a more cost effective solution to seat discomfort than buying a Airhawk cushion or a custom seat. They don't absorb perspiration like cotton does and they can be washed and dried in a couple of hours when you're touring.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 12:16 pm

Coincidentally, I tried wearing a kidney belt yesterday on a 140 mile trip. It does seem to help, so will persevere with that.

Old Limey, a Goldwing isn't a step-through machine and arthritic hips and knees would be under pressure to cope. A rider plus pillion could easily be over 25 stone so the weight isn't a problem. I too had a prolapsed disc operation in 1990 so my back can be sensitive to seating/poor suspension. The rear shock units on the Silverwing look to be very cheaply made things.

Design and build my own? Much cheaper to modify a production model. A trike?? I don't see the point in those things. They've sacrificed the benefits of using two wheels. I'd rather have a sports car.

Seat discomfort isn't the reason for the cushion. It's to increase seat height and also clearance for my knees with the handlebars/dashboard - something that was particularly bad for me on the Burgman 650 and 400.

I reckon to spend around £300 on suspension upgrades (I usually do my own work). If it works, I'll also rebuild the seat properly. If it doesn't work, I'd return the bike to standard, sell it, and sell all the pricier upgrade parts on flea bay... get more back that way.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 4:31 pm

Flyingpanman wrote:
... snipped ... A trike?? I don't see the point in those things. They've sacrificed the benefits of using two wheels. I'd rather have a sports car.

Well, perhaps this true story explains why a trike. About 10 years ago our local scooter club was holding a ride day open to all scooterists in the hope of attracting new members.

During this open ride day, I witnessed an exchange between two, previously unseen prospects. One, perhaps in his early 30's rode a 250cc Vespa and the other, an older fella rode a converted Burgman trike. When the Vespa rider saw the trike, he snickered out loud and proclaimed for all to hear ... "hey everybody, look ... a scooter with training wheels". My heart dropped when I saw the look on the face of the older trike rider.

You see, earlier I chatted with him and his story was that at age 72, he no longer felt confident on two wheels. He told me after over 50 years of riding, he still loved the feel of riding, the smells and feel of the wind on his face. He said for him, the trike was a way to extend his "riding career" for at least a few more years until the time he had to hang up his helmet.

After the Vespa rider made his remark, I went over to the trike rider and told him to forget the stupid remark the Vespa rider made. I told him something that a custom Harley chopper fabricator said to me after he learned I rode a 22 year old Honda Elite. He said, "it doesn't matter what you ride ... as long as you are out there doing it!" That really made the trike rider's face light up ... just like mine did when it was first said to me. He simply smiled and said thanks. That moment stands as one of my riding highlights ... and it happened as we were standing in a parking lot.
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 5:18 pm

flying panman, thers a set of hyper pro springs on ebay at 45 quid, was going to get them but not sure if mines has them as the forks are pretty, solid.As for rear shocks being cheap, had mine 2 years and at 8 year old its still on originals. yamaha majestys ive owned would be on their third or fourth set by now.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 6:41 pm

If man never strived to make improvements to make things better, be it for comfort, efficiency, or durability, we could still be cave men. We as humans all have it in us to question, and try to improve everything. Be cars, airplanes, electronics, and yes our Silverwings. Just think where  we would be if the wheel was never invented. No clocks, windmills, automobiles, and a whole bunch of things we use everyday. Just because some member makes changes to his bike, does not mean that everyone should do it. It only matters to him if he likes/enjoys the change. These posts help others in researching similar wants. I have done a lot of changes to my 2013 Swing. All of my changes I read about on forums like this. There are a lot of modifications riders have done that I have not felt the need to do, but I like to read about them and their impressions after the mod. Anyway that is my long 2¢'s worth. Be good and ride safe.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 7:48 pm

My Goldwing sits in the garage. Let's face it, the Silverwing isn't a Goldwing. Nor is it as heavy and unwieldy to maneuver at slow speeds. There are drawbacks and benefits to each bike. A nicer ride comes at a price.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 8:14 pm

Easyrider wrote:
... snipped ... If man never strived to make improvements to make things better, be it for comfort, efficiency, or durability, we could still be cave men. We as humans all have it in us to question, and try to improve everything.

thumbs up ... and to each their own.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 8:58 pm

phils a winger wrote:
flying panman, thers a set of hyper pro springs on ebay at 45 quid, was going to get them but not sure if mines has them as the forks are pretty, solid.As for rear shocks being cheap, had mine 2 years and at 8 year old its still on originals. yamaha majestys ive owned would be on their third or fourth set by now.

These being the used HyperPro springs on eBay UK that the Seller's Description says they 'definitely firm up the front suspension to a more motorcycle feel'.

Now doesn't this sum up exactly what I said earlier about this constant quest by some to try and turn a maxi scooter into a motorcycle? Smile
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 8:59 am

Meldrew said - Now doesn't this sum up exactly what I said earlier about this constant quest by some to try and turn a maxi scooter into a motorcycle?

You say that as though there is something wrong with improving the front suspension (and safety) of the Silverwing. While there are many very positive characteristics about the design of the Siverwing, (comfort, convenience, storage, etc.), what could possibly be wrong with improving one of the few negative aspects of the machine? Get over it!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 9:46 am

Don't talk rubbish, I haven't said anything is wrong with the front suspension of the Silver Wing, there isn't. Evidently other riders do, hence this obsession with fitting HyperPro fork springs. I suppose you could enlighten me about what is unsafe though, because I've been riding round on my Silver Wing since November 2010 completely unaware of it.

While I'm not Rocky Mountain High like you, most of my riding in the UK is in Northern England or the Border counties of Scotland where the majority of roads aren't arrow straight and wide, so 'the twisties' are just plain roads and I've never had a problem ever.

I regularly go to the Harz Mountains in Germany and I'm always the lone maxi scooter at my usual biker hotel where everyone else is on big adventure bikes, tourers, or sports bikes. I'm not out of my league in this bikers playground on my bog standard Silver Wing, or the bog standard 650 Burgman, 400 Burgman, and 250 Helix I've also taken there. There's the usual bit of banter (piss taking) about going there on amaxi scooter, but the same riders go quiet when I suit up and go off up in them thar' hills when a bit of rain or fog has them scurrying back to town to sit in a sports bar.

I've ridden some of the same roads with the added weight of my wife and our touring kit as well as solo, and not once has the front or rear suspension caused me any unease or discomfort. How come I can do all this on a basically standard Silver Wing completely oblivious of the negative aspects of the machine, how can I get over it?

Maybe I should buy a HyperPro sticker/decal off eBay, put in on my Airflow and pretend I'm one of the cool kids.

Last edited by Meldrew on Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Simply A Clash of B.elief S.ystems    Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 10:29 am

I think the real issue here is B.S. clash.  We all have our own B.S.  That doesn't make our B.S. right or wrong, it's just our B.S. ... and that's OK as long as it doesn't bring harm or foul to someone else.

Troubles start when we try to superimpose our B.S. onto someone else.  You see, most of us are pretty happy with our B.S. and aren't looking to trade it for someone else's B.S. ... unless we want to of course.  And, the harder one tries to superimpose their B.S on someone else, the more push back and friction there is.  Wars are fought over clashing B.S.'

If some believe their OE ride is just fine as is then that's their B.S. and to each their own.  However, others with their own B.S. say the O.E. ride can be improved ... and that's OK too because to each their own.  Both B.S.' are legitimate to those individuals and are OK to embrace ... as long as they keep it their own B.S. and do not try to shovel their B.S. down someone else's throat.    

You see, the more you try to shovel (or superimpose) your B.S. onto an unreceptive person with a contrary B.S., the more push back you'll get and friction you'll create.  That's just the nature of shoveling B.S.'  

My father shared a saying from his country and loosely translated it goes something like ... "a smart person wouldn't say anything and the ignorant one doesn't know any better".
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 10:48 am

This is a forum mate, you know discussion and all that. What would you rather read about and discuss in the topics, the 'iconic Silver Wing' as one of these new fangled Facebook groups are calling it? Or maybe we could all play Kurt's Korner and pull a joke off the internet and post for the lollers instead. :lol!:

Just like in Game of Thrones, 'winter is coming'  in a few short months, and when winter is here and the laughingly called 'riding season'  Smile is over, you'll be happy to read any kind of BS.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 11:13 am

Lively dialogue, differing opinions, sharing practical information and intelligent, respectful debate all make for a great forum. Member's who constant push their personal B.elief S.ystem onto others as if it is the one and only truth makes for boring and irritating reading.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 11:52 am

I'm not pushing anything mate, it's just my take on things. No one is twisting your arm to read or reply to any topic on here. How come on this side of the Pond we're happy to change the OE screen, maybe add a top box, a pair of mirror extenders, maybe a bit of Dr Pulley stuff if you're that way inclined, and away we go.

Buy a Silver Wing on your side, it's change the screen, then the fork springs, rear shocks, a load of Dr Pulley, a Power Commander, headlight modulator, cup holder, aftermarket silencer, and all the other stuff that is so essential, even if you don't or won't venture out in the rain. One upmanship is levering on an obscure rear car tyre so you can call yourself a Darksider. Only when all these toys are fitted is it deemed safe to go out and play.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 1:48 pm

Meldrew:
So sorry to get you worked up into such a froth, but you completely missed my point. I didn't say or even suggest that you said there was anything was wrong with the front suspension on the Silverwing. If you had taken the time to comprehend my post you would have understood that the point I was making was that there is nothing wrong with trying to correct one of the few deficiencies with the machine. Perhaps in stock form it works well for you. I am very pleased if that is the case. However, with my 6'5", 17 stone frame on it, the OEM front suspension had far too much dive when I would brake into a sharp corner, and on a couple of occasions the front tire chattered around a curve when I hit a bump. Now you may not mind this sort of handling, but I prefer to have my tires maintain constant contact with the tarmac, so to correct this issue I installed HyperPro springs on the front. Since then I have not had any issues with the handling, other than an occasional flex of the frame when I hit a bump on a high speed sweeper. In the end I am not concerned if you approve of my decision to install the HyperPro springs, or my riding style. It is my bike and I will do what I deem appropriate to make it what I want/need - Just like any decisions you make concerning your bike are yours...

Oh, yes, I do have some thoughts on how to help you "get over it", but I won't share them here...
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 3:51 pm

So who has hagons on the back and does it help?
I find if I hit a bump two up the back end bounces up and down for while before settling down. On the straight bits thats not a big problem, in a corner its not so clever.
Mostly I'm riding round the problem by slowing down a bit, but if £180s worth of hagon will improve the matter Im tempted.
Mind you two up we'll be at the recommended weight limit I guess.
Back to top Go down
Toolman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: They're Here!!!   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2016 11:21 pm

Too Bouncy Dscn0710
Too Bouncy Dscn0724
Too Bouncy Dscn0711
Too Bouncy Dscn0712
Too Bouncy Dscn0714
Too Bouncy Dscn0713
Too Bouncy Dscn0718
Too Bouncy Dscn0719
Too Bouncy Dscn0723
Too Bouncy Dscn0722
Too Bouncy Dscn0720
Too Bouncy Dscn0721
Too Bouncy Dscn0725
Too Bouncy Dscn0715
Too Bouncy Dscn0716
Too Bouncy Dscn0726
Too Bouncy Dscn0717
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Too Bouncy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Bouncy   Too Bouncy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Too Bouncy
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Accessories & Modifications-
Jump to: