Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Need more info from an old post

Go down 
+7
oldwingguy
DennisB
tinman
GHM-PM
JeffR
Mike from NS
docjones
11 posters
AuthorMessage
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-10-12

Need more info from an old post Empty
PostSubject: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 6:49 pm

I was reading with great interest about something that DennisB had posted about someone else's post. It had to do with using synthetic oil in an 08 Swing. DennisB stated that the Swing burned the synthetic oil which fouled the plugs and the exhaust gas sensor. I'm paraphrasing here so please don't call me out on what was written. Can anyone shed any light on this? Is anyone else's using synthetic oil with no problems? The original post never went into the above post by DennisB. I understand he is an authority on this site.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 8:25 pm

A friend of mine uses nothing but synthetic oil in his 2006 Silverwing. He has never mentioned anything of problems this brought on. I must remember to ask him about this the next time I see him.

Mike
Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 8:35 pm

Please note Mike from NS this was reported on an 08 Silverwing. I'm pretty sure that was the first year of the exhaust gas sensor. I have since read a lot of riders are using synthetic oil. Hope to hear more from DennisB the rider that posted that problem.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 10:21 pm

I used synthetic with my 07 SWing and had no problem whatsoever. It could have been something else that caused this as well. Many people here use synthetic.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 11:06 pm

I have used full synthetic, dino and synthetic blends in my SWing. No problems with any of them. Just changed my SWing oil with Rotella T5 synthetic blend, my Goldwing loves this stuff (cover your eyes Meldrew) so decided to try same in both Wings.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 7:14 am

I have been using full synthetic oil since my first oil change .75 k kl with same iridium plugs .Plugs look's new,looses one cup of oil (6 0z)lost at every 12 k kl oil change ,and now at 100 k kl +,and no loss of oil, no better ,no worst. Change oil seal drive clutch and drive face plate at 30 k .  My friend has his 650 Burgman in the dealers shop since the last week of June with drive belt failure only to brake down again with bearing failure.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 10:52 am

Hello, I would like to say that I'm no authority on this sight or any other. And I would like to say...If it works good...Don't mess with it....

I started using a Wal-Mart synthetic brand oil in my SWing after brake in. This oil fouled my mixture sensor in the exhaust pipe and caused my mixture electronics to push more gas to be pumped into the combustion chamber. Because of the mixture sensor being mess-up the plugs got more fouled. I changed the plugs, cleaned the mixture sensor tip, and changed the filter and oil back to the type of oil that came in the scooter when it was new. For the short amount of time that I owned this scooter, it worked fine after changing back to dino oil.

AGAIN...If it's not broke...Please, don't try to fix it...Have a nice day.

P.S. Wal-Mart synthetic brand oil was the only synthetic oil I could afford at the time and lost the 08 scooter in bankruptcy a short time later.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 12:19 pm

Walmart motor oil, Quaker State supplied it last I looked. I never use the blended as there is no industry standard as to percentage of dino to synthetic. Another catch if you want to call it that it depends whether it's true synthetic or a dino derived synthetic.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 12:47 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
Walmart motor oil, Quaker State supplied it last I looked.  I never use the blended as there is no industry standard as to percentage of dino to synthetic.  Another catch if you want to call it that it depends whether it's true synthetic or a dino derived synthetic.  

So which is true synthetic and which is dino-derived, and which would have contributed to an O2 sensor failure?

Jeez, I never had these kind of problems when ran 2 cans of STP in my '53 Plymouth.

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 1:38 pm

YES I COPIED AND PASTED THIS. -----------------------------------------------------------------

There are only two Real Synthetic Oils in America
So you think that all these "Synthetic" oils available for sale in the various stores around the US are true PAO based Motor Oils. Think again. PAO or Polyalphaolefin is the main lab produced synthetic base for Group IV stock Synthetic Oils. Base I, II & III are all dino oils. I'm being really concise on this as it can be researched elsewhere, I'm just posting it to get the point out to the masses.

Since a 1997 court case brought on by Mobil against Castrol (in the US), and subsequently won by Castrol granted anyone to produce their non-PAO Group III base oil and sell it as a full synthetic, again, ONLY in the United States because anything can be bought or decided by the wrong people (courts, not scientists) in the US. So, since 1997 there has really only been one true synthetic oil available for sale in the United States, Mobil 1.

Well, I'm letting everyone in on a little secret. Castrol DOES sell a true synthetic in the US, it just doesn't make it here (which is fine by me). Autozone sells Castrol 0w30 "European Formula" Syntec. Look for the "Made in Germany" on the back of the bottle. See, in Europe the BS that is allowed to fly in the US isn't worth squat before a real set of government standards groups as in Europe. This is one of those few. Castrol SLX (now Castrol Edge). Note again, there are no other versions of Castrol or any other brand you can buy in a store on any given day other than Mobil 1 which are true synthetics.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 2:38 pm

I've always thought there's a lot of tosh and brand snobbery about oils. As long as you buy the correct viscosity, JASO, API, SG etc recommended by Honda, doe it really matter if it's fully synthetic, semi-synthetic, budget or big name, as long as you change oil and the oil filter regularly. In between changes,  check the oil level, and top it up as necessary.

The only minus for me is having that to contend with that delicate alloy tappet cover instead a steel drain plug. Then I'd be able to change it for one with a magnetic drain plug.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 2:47 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I've always thought there's a lot of tosh talked about oils on biker forums, as long as you buy the correct viscosity, JASO, API, SG etc recommended by Honda, doe it really matter if it's fully synthetic, semi-synthetic, budget or big name, as long as you change oil and the oil filter regularly. In between changes,  check the oil level, and top it up as necessary.

The only minus for me is having that to contend with that delicate alloy tappet cover instead a steel drain plug. Then I'd be able to change it for one with a magnetic drain plug.

I agree with Meldrew on this one. The SWing is not a race machine so any good oil and filter will work for us but of course we all have our favorites! I had heard the story about Mobil 1 being the only true synthetic, but hesitated to mention it as the rabid Amsoil dealers tend to go a bit over-the-top. Not sure where Amsoil fits in all of this but since I do not use it...
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2016 12:48 am

Personally I don't think synthetic oil is worth the price. For starters the engines in most Hondas including the Silverwing aren't high performance types. They are fairly low compression slow turning types built for reliability rather than high power. The SW like a lot of larger Hondas is water cooled and has a dry clutch and an external transmission. Those reasons ae why you don't need motorcycle oils. Lower temperature operation, no transmission beating down viscostity, no wet clutch preventing reduced friction oils.
My preference is dino oil for price and perfectly adequate performance. To make any sense of using synthetic oil you need to extend oil change intervals. I prefer to change more often depending on season and weather with the cheaper stuff.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2016 6:23 am

exdavid that's true and what some folks believe as I've heard is it lasts longer, however reading the bottle instructions one finds change oil per mfg instructions, and from previous readings of persons habits many change WAY earlier then recommended. That said there are some engines that state specifically use synthetic only but they are few in numbers.
Back to top Go down
wingjammer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2016-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2016 6:57 pm

hi I think semi synthetic oil is quit all right in silver wing as it has a dry clutch & no gears (as gears which run the the engine oil has a shearing affect on the oil & not just as a lubricant) I have read lots of other threads with this same theory .... sorry for butting in ...and I know this is not answering your query
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need more info from an old post   Need more info from an old post I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need more info from an old post
Page 1 of 1