Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Road salt corrosion

Go down 
+12
john grinsel
NWSSC
steve_h80
Old Limey
MikeO
Bash On!
Crustycrutch
Winger61
dspevack
Meldrew
exavid
Cosmic_Jumper
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Road salt corrosion Empty
PostSubject: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 2:09 pm

"The Silverwing radiator and oil filter can corrode badly when subjected to winter road salt and it is strongly recommended to thoroughly clean these components weekly when conditions are bad. I would also recommend changing the oil filter with every 4000 mile oil change particularly before the start of winter."

While road salt corrosion doesn't seem to be as much of an issue here as it is in the UK, this excerpt from Phils-a-Winger's post to the "Oil leak under bike" topic suggests that it would be advisable to, not only use ACF 50 on the engine & belt case, but also add a mudflap to the front fender to protect the radiator.

Does anyone have a link or mudflap pattern for a S'Wing which can be copied. There doesn't appear to be too much clearance between the tire and the fender. So how is the best way to attach a DIY mudflap?

Tim
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 2:20 pm

Use a pan head screw with the nut on the outside of the fender for more clearance. Cut the screw to the right length and you can use a chrome acorn nut which looks nicer. On a friend's SW I used a piece of inner tube rubber, attached it to the outside of the fender and cut a thin piece of aluminum to cover the flab where it was overlaying the fender. Rounded edges on the aluminum and flap on top and a couple of arcs cut on the lower side gave it a nice finished look. Unfortunately he doesn't have the bike any more so I can't get a picture.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Being a tight git, for years now I've made my own mud flaps from pieces cut from a black plastic flower pot because it's already pre-curved. Also a tip I picked up from a Dutch push bike shop in York, you can use a piece cut from a roll of black plastic/PVC damp-proof course. It's cheap and available from builders merchants/supply or DIY centres.

Who wants or needs to drill holes in expensive mudguard/fenders when you can do the job with double sided adhesive pads and a schmear of black silicone sealant.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 4:58 pm

While not as bad, it is also important to maintain the Silverwing against salt if you park near salt water bodies.
I live on a saltwater lake just off of the intracoastal waterway on Miami Beach.
When I had a skiing accident I couldn't ride for a year and the Silverwing sat there 100 feet from the salt water in an underground garage.  
When it was time to start riding again my wing had corroded so badly it was totaled.
That was the end of the Silverwing era for me.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 5:44 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Does anyone have a link or mudflap pattern for a S'Wing which can be copied. There doesn't appear to be too much clearance between the tire and the fender. So how is the best way to attach a DIY mudflap?

Tim

Probably not a viable option for your side of the pond, but I bought a Honda logo'd mudflap, large size, from www.Wemoto.co.uk. They still sell the large size, but not with the Honda logo, just a plain black job. Fixed it like exavid suggests, work fine, keeps the rad clear of road crud.
(Just about visible in my album)
Graham.
Back to top Go down
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2016-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 11:54 am

I'm with Meldrew - rubber car mat from the pound shop, judicious use of a Stanley knife and three m5 nylock nuts/screws. Job done - all for a quid!
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 2:31 pm

Old plastic gallon milk jug cut up, with lots of duct tape.  Don't know how much a quid is so can't tell you if it's less or more than one. I'm guessing less. Wink
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 5:10 pm

'Quid' is slang for £1.00
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 5:28 pm

MikeO wrote:

£1.00=.453 kilogram$....wait.....what?

I find it humorous that a country on the metric system has its monetary system in pounds (based on the value of a pound of silver) even though pounds do not exist in the metric system.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 6:33 pm

dspevack wrote:
MikeO wrote:

£1.00=.453 kilogram$....wait.....what?

I find it humorous that a country on the metric system has its monetary system in pounds (based on the value of a pound of silver) even though pounds do not exist in the metric system.

I find it humorous that you thing our £ sterling is based on the value of a pound of silver. It isn't and there's a page on Wikipedia that explains the origin of the £ pound sterling far better than I can.

Our currency went metric in 1971, before that we had pounds, shillings, and pence. 240 pennies to the pound, or 20 shillings to the pound, and there was 12 pennies in a shilling. We also had different coins like crowns, half crowns, two shillings, shillings, sixpences, three penny bits, pennies, and half pennies (ha"pennies).

We generally don't like metric weights, it was foisted on us by the EU. We buy fuel in litres but still think in gallons, that's proper Imperial gallons not US gallons.

At least with our metric money we pay the marked price and that's it, there's no State sales tax added at the cash register. So we don't clutter our pockets with a pile of useless pocket shrapnel 1 cent and 2 cent coins.

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 7:11 pm

£ = money pounds
lb = weight pounds

Are the denominations of American paper money all the same colour still?

Wink
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 8:02 pm

Meldrew,

The pound of silver comment actually came from a Wikipedia page (I researched the comment there before making it. It was referring to the original source of the backing), and we haven't had 2 cent coins in over 50 years.

Mike, They have added some color to various bills.

Gentlemen, I mentioned this with the intention of highlighting the humor in metric/pounds.
No offense was intended.

I now return you to your original topic of salt corrosion.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 4:20 am

Just a little note on money system, I was brought up on the Pound system, and did not like ,and do not like, the metric system. I still measure in feet and inches and calculate in Gallons. I doubt we will revert to the old system once we are out of the EU. I do as Meldrew suggested some time ago for mudguard extension although, after riding in winter I usually hose down my bike before garaging it.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 10:15 am

No matter how inconvenient, I always make the effort to hose down the scooter after riding on salted roads in winter. Anti-corrosion sprays are fine, but neutralising road salt on alloy and paintwork with cold water before putting the scooter away is very effective.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Back go the metric / imperial stuff. Im in the construction trade and cry is often heard of "1.8 metres of 2x2". We've never fully adapted :-)
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 4:04 pm

And Meldrew right, hose it down after a salty ride.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion    Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 11:28 pm

For what it is worth the September 2016 issue of Rider Magazine has a article on a anti-Corrosion product on page 82.Also here is a link on there product. http://www.learchem.com/industry/motorcycle.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2016 2:21 am

ACF-50 has been around for years, it's been a popular and highly rated  though expensive anti-corrosion treatment over here in the UK for years. I've never used it because I have a good supply of anti-corrosion products made by Motorex, and S Doc 100 that I'm happy with.

I still wouldn't trust these products alone over a winter, and neutralise the effects of salt by hosing it off with cold water after riding on any roads that have been gritted.

I remember all too well how the silver alloy on my Helix went to grey suede within a day after putting a cleaning session off

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2016 8:00 pm

Having lived and ridden in heavy salted Germany for over 20 years.....and tried almost everything spray on/brush on ... plain water at end of ride works as good as anything. Another point learned, modern bikes are not really designed to be ridden in foul weather......just look at their fenders, etc., or ability to resist corroding.
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 7:06 am

ACF50 works if you stick it on clean dry surface and leave it there,and it just hoses off when you want it off.But agree a good hose down with just water best remedy for salt in winter
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 9:32 am

I spent 2 decades working in aviation maintenance in South Florida, where corrosion is king.  
ACF50 was developed for aircraft use because of the problem of galvanic corrosion, mostly between steel and aluminum and it worked quite well, interrupting the electrochemical reaction. I also used it for avionics and electrical connectors.

It was "fogged" into all the spaces between the skin, ribs, stringers and spars, and would seep out through every joint and rivet! The planes look like crap for a couple of weeks, then you're good for another year. I used it quite extensively and it worked better that anything else available.

However, I'm not convinced that it's the way to go on a M/C or scoot. It only really functions when it seeps in between the dissimilar metals where contact leads to galvanic corrosion, it never was much good for surface oxidation as the layer it left was easily disrupted and smeared when anything came in contact with it.
A clean, primed and painted surface, without any unprotected metal, will work far better then spraying any kind of corrosion inhibitor on it.

The biggest offender is paint being chaffed off by wire harnesses, hoses and clamps or plastic covers in contact with the frame and allowing it to rust/corrode.
Keep this from happening, repair what has happened and keep the bike clean.

Flush the underside, radiator and brake assemblies with plain water to remove salt....even if you don't ride in winter the salt is still on the road for weeks/months after the last salting.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 1:22 pm

dspevack wrote:
Meldrew,

...It was referring to the original source of the backing), and we haven't had 2 cent coins in over 50 years..
Dan

Two cent coins were only minted in the US 1864-1873. Technically you are correct. It's been more than fifty years ago.
Back to top Go down
Mr Blobby
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Blobby

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2016 5:54 pm

I have used Scottoil FS365 spray for the past 12 years. Bikes look like new even though I ride 12 months of the year.
Brilliant stuff, spray it on everything, frame, engine wheels then use the bike for a week or so then wash it off and re-apply.
Give it a try, you might be surprised just how well it works. seems to build up a skin that protects through the worst of the British winter.
thumbs up
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2016 1:57 am

I used to protect the float fittings and all external steel parts on my float planes in SE Alaska with Par-al-ketone. If they still make it the same way it's kind of like cosmoline that the military used to pack rifles in for storage. Long term storage. It wouldn't look to good on exposed parts of a scooter because it's kind of a brown waxy grease like stuff. But it did keep rust off my truck's undercarriage and off the exposed steel parts of my airplanes that were operated off saltwater.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/paralketone.php
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2016 6:30 am

I remember cosmoline, used it in the 50's for chrome bumpers and other parts during the winter, it went on good if cut with kerosene a bit, a coat or two and it looked like you had golden plated chrome Smile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2016 2:14 pm

I never tried thinning paralketone, just heated it up a bit. In 1963 I bought a 1903 Springfield rifle from Montgomery Wards. It arrived in the mail in a wooden box that it was crated in back in 1915. When I pried off the top of the box all I could see was a solidly filled box of cosmoline. It took a week of evening work getting that rifle out of the cosmoline and cleaning it up. The stuff did it's work though, that rifle was in perfect condition after being stored for nearly fifty years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Road salt corrosion   Road salt corrosion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Road salt corrosion
Page 1 of 1