Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tire pumps, pressures & gauges

Go down 
+2
Meldrew
Tom G
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tom G

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-09-10

Tire pumps, pressures & gauges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire pumps, pressures & gauges   Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 7:56 am

Yes, I also agree about checking and filling tires, especially the rear tire. I am in the market for a gauge that is easier to use that the typical "pencil type" that sells for $2.00 or less everywhere.

What do you, or anyone, think about the dial indicator type shown at this site?

https://www.amazon.com/TireTek-Flexi-Pro-Pressure-Gauge-Motorcycle/dp/B01B1MQS7O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1468410611&sr=8-7&keywords=best+tire+gauge

Is there a better, more reliable one like this?

Response form anyone appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Tire pumps, pressures & gauges   Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 8:19 am

You can make checking tyre pressures a lot easier by installing racing tyre valves next time you have new tyres fitted. I had Ariete angled tyre valve fitted recently when I had a set of Continental ContiMove 365 all season tyres fitted. I've used Bridgestone Hoops for the last 20 years on five maxi scooters and was ready for a change.

The Ariete valves are angled and sit lower on the wheels than the OE valves. They're made out of that metal you Yanks pronounce "al-oo-min-um" Smile and are silver just like the wheels.  The tyre bloke found the best way to fit the rear valve in that special bit of the rear wheel was on the exhaust side, and slightly off centre.

I initially thought it would be awkward to get a pencil type tyre pressure gauge on the valve but it isn't, it's easy and a lot less faffing about with the OE tyre valves on the Silver Wing and previous maxi scooters. The front is dead easy too, no losing tyre pressure attempting to get an accurate readings.

As my Michelin foot pump has a screw on connection instead of a push on connector, it's now a straightforward job and the pump also has a tyre pressure gauge on it too.

These alloy angled valves aren't cheap but they're a lot better investment than a TPMS set up, and you spent less time trying to check, inflate, and adjust tyre pressures crawling about on the ground.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tom G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tom G

PostSubject: Re: Tire pumps, pressures & gauges   Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 8:50 am

Thanks you, Mr. Meldrew, As you know, the rear tire valve (at least on my 2013 & on my 2002) is slanted at 90º. So that is not the problem. I just don't enjoy the getting up & down to do the filling and checking. Although, I might have the front valve changed when I install a new Tire (Tyre to you).

And, while I have a small garage compressor, which I always use, I also have a very reliable Foot Pump. Maybe I'll try the foot pump next time because it has a gauge and is easy to connect. Again, as you know, we, in the colonies, invented shorts cuts and laziness.

Tom G
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Tire pumps, pressures & gauges   Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 8:52 am

First  I agree the angled valves are the best, had them on my last G'Wing.

Second I us an Accu-gage with the flex hose, very handy.

One thing I do regardless of pressures is to activate the air compressor have the hose and Gage handy  when I get down there to check pressures, one trip down one up finished Smile
Back to top Go down
Tom G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tom G

PostSubject: Tire pumps, pressures & gauges   Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 9:04 am

Accu-gage sounds like just what I am looking for. I looked at it on-line. And, the price is "Right" too.

Thanks,

Tom G
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Tire pumps, pressures & gauges   Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 1:45 am

I'd recommend not using one with a long hose like that. Each time you read pressure with that type it drains a fair amount of air out of the tire to fill and pressurize the hose. Scooter tires are pretty small and it doesn't take much air loss like that to reduce the tire pressure. I find a round dial gauge with a 45 degree fixed chuck works well on the SW. Also some of the electronic tire gauges are handy and easy to get onto the tire valve. Also they don't cause much air loss at all since they don't even have a bourdon tube gauge that takes air to operate.

I use one similar to this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200338592_200338592?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Compressors%20%3E%20Air%20Compressor%20Piping%20Accessories&utm_campaign=Northern%20Tool%20and%20Equipment&utm_content=2544004&gclid=CKyFy4eg8s0CFUI9gQodLO8MCw
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Tire pumps, pressures & gauges   Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 4:24 am

I have used these on all my vehicles for two years now with no problems. Using them on the scooter makes it much easier to keep an eye on the pressures.

Tyre pressure monitor valve caps
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Tire pumps, pressures & gauges   Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 2:39 pm

Flyingpanman wrote:
I have used these on all my vehicles for two years now with no problems. Using them on the scooter makes it much easier to keep an eye on the pressures.

Tyre pressure monitor valve caps

I have heard that these caps have a tendency to pop the top of the cap off.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: Tire pumps, pressures & gauges   Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 5:00 pm

[quote="Easyrider
I have heard that these caps have a tendency to pop the top of the cap off.[/quote]

Mine are okay but maybe some cheap ones have. I think if it did happen the tyre would still stay pressurised as the top holds the valve open. If it goes, then the valve will just close?

I've tested them for accuracy and they're fine. I'm happy to use them on the S Wing.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Tire pumps, pressures & gauges   Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 11:46 am

I bought my branded TPM valve caps from a bike shop, but I notice there's stacks of them for sale on eBay and I wouldn't have a clue which were the real deal or lookee-likees as they're all about the same price. I have no idea why the top part of the valve cap on my rear tyre popped off, but it did and the tyre pressure was very low. So obviously the valve didn't close.

Now this happened when the Silver Wing was parked up in my garage, I was very lucky it didn't happen on a motorway, a rural road, at night, or indeed anywhere I'd be either flattened or stranded.

Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: Tire pumps, pressures & gauges   Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 1:37 pm

I bought all my pressure monitoring valve caps from PunctureSafe, and/or their reseller in my link above on ebay (three bikes and a car). I think the higher pressures are a slightly different design? I'll check when I get a chance.

I carry a small 12volt tyre inflator in all my bikes after a small but jagged rear puncture gave me problems on the motorway last year. Despite having PunctureSafe fluid in the tyre, the only way to get home was to insert a large self-tapping screw (quicker than the AA breakdown).

Later, I tested the PunctureSafe fluid on the (now wrecked) tyre. It works fine on nice smooth nail punctures but not jagged screw holes... unless you put a screw in it Laughing

Edited:- Just to say that I looked again at my ebay link and the reseller has two body styles simply to cover a larger range of pressures. So my theory above about one style for higher pressures is bunkum Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tire pumps, pressures & gauges   Tire pumps, pressures & gauges I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tire pumps, pressures & gauges
Page 1 of 1