Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

LED rear lights questions

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
the_mad_rshn
6 posters
AuthorMessage
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2016-03-11

LED rear lights questions Empty
PostSubject: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 11:02 am

Hey all,

I have been trying to install rear turn signals and running/brake lights LED's for some time now. I have two problems now. Any help is greatly appreciated:

1. I have installed a 6 Ohm, 50 Watt resistors in parallel for the turn signals and made sure the connectivity is there, but the LED lights still do not blink. I have tested the bulbs on a 12V source and they light up with no problems that way.

2. Anyone can suggest a good source of the running/brake LEDs. I bought two sets of lights separately using different part numbers both of the times from Ebay and in both cases the bulbs have the plastic base vs the glass base the regular bulb has and it does not fit properly into the socket.

Thank you.
Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 1:36 pm

Do the normal turn signal bulbs flash? Will the LEDs hyper flash if the resistor is not in the circuit?

The normal bulbs are 1156 and single contact bulbs, 1157 bulbs are dual contact base bulbs and will not fit in the 1156 base because the pin configuration is different.

If the LEDs will hyper flash but wont flash with the resistor perhaps the resistor is too much for the flasher in the Combination Meter board.

Tim
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 1:59 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Do the normal turn signal bulbs flash? Will the LEDs hyper flash if the resistor is not in the circuit?

The normal bulbs are 1156 and single contact bulbs, 1157 bulbs are dual contact base bulbs and will not fit in the 1156 base because the pin configuration is different.

If the LEDs will hyper flash but wont flash with the resistor perhaps the resistor is too much for the flasher in the Combination Meter board.

Tim

I am not sure if those bulbs are 1156. The 1156's have 180 degree contact placement where on the SWing those are at 150 degrees. Anyway. When I install the OEM bulb with the resistor in place it flashes normally. The LED does not flash at all, with or without the resistor.

Thank you.
Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 3:51 pm

Not quite sure what you mean by 180° vs 150° contacts but this picture might explain the pin and contact placement of 1156 vs 1157.

https://www.google.com/search?sclient=tablet-gws&site=&source=hp&q=1156+vs+1157&oq=1156+vs+1157&gs_l=tablet-gws.3..0l3.4938.17020.0.19112.14.13.1.0.0.0.299.1785.0j10j2.12.0....0...1.1.64.tablet-gws..1.13.1789.ZRTzKaHXxP8#imgrc=OKU9mVG-k3rG-M%3A
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Worst case scenario; you'll need to bypass the flasher relay in the combination meter board. Here is a link to a "how-to" from the Singapore Silverwing forum. Sure it's for an Asian FJS 400 model, but the wire color codes and procedure should be the same.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/325894-lt-Info-gt-Silverwing-400cc-600cc-Tech-Corner?p=7638707&viewfull=1#post7638707

If the link doesn't take you directly to the flasher relay post it is post #226.

Hope this helps

Tim
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 5:05 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Worst case scenario; you'll need to bypass the flasher relay in the combination meter board. Here is a link to a "how-to" from the Singapore Silverwing forum. Sure it's for an Asian FJS 400 model, but the wire color codes and procedure should be the same.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/325894-lt-Info-gt-Silverwing-400cc-600cc-Tech-Corner?p=7638707&viewfull=1#post7638707

If the link doesn't take you directly to the flasher relay post it is post #226.

Hope this helps

Tim

Tim,

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I was looking for. I ordered a solid state flasher and hope it will work for me.

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 7:28 pm

Never mind
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 11:53 am

Hey Mad,

This is what I'm using for my brake/tail lights...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2D3W0A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are bright enough, where all the other LED replacement bulbs I've tried have not been.
Also, they work fine with my brake light modulator.

Are you replacing the amber turn bulbs with LED's or adding additional lighting?
I've never been able to find an amber LED that has enough output for a turn signal, and in the past went the other way...high output halogen!

If you find an amber LED that's as bright as the stock bulb please share the link!

My additional LED's are just paralleled to the rear harness, no difference in rate of flash.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 1:57 pm

Some time ago I replaced the rear turn signal bulb sockets to a double filament socket. This allowed me to be more visible from the rear.The sockets
are the bayonet(twist and turn) and are quite common. They come with short pig tales to wire in. They can be purchased at O'Reilly's or most any auto parts store. The best one to use have metal fingers to hold them in the housing. I then spliced in a lead from the tail lite.This gives me a extra tail lite.
The double filament bulb is a 1157. At first the only bulb I could find was more amber than red. After a year or so they came out with a LED that
was a true red and much brighter.The LED bulb use less amps and blink much faster,this I like. I did not have to make any adjustments to the brake or running (diode-resister)  lite circuit in any way. I have noticed a distinct difference in the way the cages back off from my derriere after this modification. rabbit        Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 2:15 pm

My question=why? Standard stuff works fine----meets regs. If worried about being hit from behind, much better to work on riding skills.....how about High Vis jacket/white helmet.....and proper positioning in traffic.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 4:59 pm

Sidewinder Pilot wrote:
Hey Mad,

This is what I'm using for my brake/tail lights...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2D3W0A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are bright enough, where all the other LED replacement bulbs I've tried have not been.
Also, they work fine with my brake light modulator.

Are you replacing the amber turn bulbs with LED's or adding additional lighting?
I've never been able to find an amber LED that has enough output for a turn signal, and in the past went the other way...high output halogen!

If you find an amber LED that's as bright as the stock bulb please share the link!

My additional LED's are just paralleled to the rear harness, no difference in rate of flash.

Curiously those Philips 7443 LEDs don't indicate that they are applicable for turn signals or turn signal / running lights.

I suspect that the reason that your LEDs don't alter the rate of flash is because the OEM 1156 amber bulbs are supplying the required circuit load.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

PostSubject: Re: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 8:38 pm

The 7443LED's are in the brake/tail position, the turn LED's are a Kisan Vectra license plate frame and a pair of side reflectors with internal LED's.
These are wired to the stock turn bulbs, which is why I have no issues with rapid flash.
If someone ever produces amber LED's that have an output greater then the stock 1156/1157 I will switch over to all LED.

I'm thinking of adding a pair of the LED driving lights to the rear like the ones I have up front, but will add an amber beehive lens to them to make an ultra powerful turn signal!
I'm going to mount them under the rear box, facing forward angled about 45 degrees.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 9:20 pm

The correct part number for red LED double filament bulbs from Auto Zone
is 301734. When I made the rear turn signal to a ruining lite and turn signal combination the only socket available was the bayonet type.Although of a older design they are less problematic to loose connections. As stated I am pleased with the performance of the LED's. When I can coral one of my 12 year old  grandsons I will show the operation on site. Howard

https://youtu.be/ymVUA48TYSU

Last edited by NWSSC on Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

PostSubject: Re: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 10:43 am

The link I posted is for the latest generation Phillips bulb, not the old style SMD5050 types that they sell at Autozone, Advance, Walmart and others.

This new bulb has just come out this year, It's red and bright as a stock incandescent 7443.

I've done the LED "Full Monty" on two other bikes and was not able to match the output of the stock tail light bulbs until now.

Since we have so many bikes/cars with good LED's from the OEM's we know it can be done, it's just waiting for the "good" emitters to "filter down" to the replacement bulb market.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 9:53 pm

Mad,

How did you get on with your LED tail light problem?

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LED rear lights questions   LED rear lights questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LED rear lights questions
Page 1 of 1