Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Center Handlebar RAM Mount

Go down 
+12
Jolly Bodger
Blzrmike
2wheelgal
Bash On!
jeffinpittsburgh
exavid
vader1701
GHM-PM
bicyclenut
Cosmic_Jumper
hankster
chazman
16 posters
AuthorMessage
chazman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2016-05-07

Center Handlebar RAM Mount Empty
PostSubject: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 11:40 am

Hi,
I know from the forum that DennisB used to make a bracket from which to attach a RAM ball and subsequently any device (ie, cup holder, GPS, etc.) you want from the center of the handlebars using the two main bolt holes near the center area. Is anyone making/selling these, or can someone direct me to a good source? I'd prefer to avoid cobbling together some ugly contraption in such a visible space.
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 7:43 pm

You could use something like this. http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-252U

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-252U

Center Handlebar RAM Mount RAM-B-252U

Center Handlebar RAM Mount RAM-B-252UIU4
Back to top Go down
chazman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2016-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks hankster, but I was looking for a solution that attaches to the center of the yoke between the handlebars, not from the right or left side.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 10:42 pm

I've made my own mount using 3/16" aluminum flat stock, a couple of short pieces of M6 all-thread, a couple of M6 joiner nuts as spacers, some washers and a couple of M6 lock nuts. You can either add a Ram Ball at the center of the plate or bolt on an offset Ram Ball as shown above.

Tim

A tight budget is the mother of invention
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 3:58 am

You can make one with a flat piece of aluminum available on Amazon, cut it to size, round off or finish the edges with a sander and drill 2 holes to match the spacing on the handlebars.  Get some metric hex bolts and some spacers and a RAM mount ball and drill the aluminum for the RAM mount. Attach your selected RAM mount for the GPS.

Center Handlebar RAM Mount Img_9710
Center Handlebar RAM Mount Img_9711
Center Handlebar RAM Mount Img_9810
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 8:05 am

chazman wrote:
Thanks hankster, but I was looking for a solution that attaches to the center of the yoke between the handlebars, not from the right or left side.

You can mount it there. You will just need a spacer to clear the plastic cover and a longer M5 bolt.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 8:56 am

bicyclenut wrote:
You can make one with a flat piece of aluminum available on Amazon, cut it to size, round off or finish the edges with a sander and drill 2 holes to match the spacing on the handlebars.  Get some metric hex bolts and some spacers and a RAM mount ball and drill the aluminum for the RAM mount. Attach your selected RAM mount for the GPS.

Center Handlebar RAM Mount Img_9710
Center Handlebar RAM Mount Img_9711
Center Handlebar RAM Mount Img_9810

This is similar to the units Dennis B used to sell on here! I bought one several years ago and still love it!
Back to top Go down
vader1701
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
vader1701

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 4:24 pm

Now I like that idea, I am going to do the same thing, I was thinking about making a mod to the cover etc....This is much simpler, do you remember what size metric screws were used?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 4:25 pm

M6
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 8:28 pm

bicyclenut's mount is the same as the one I used on my SW. The only difference was the piece of scrap aluminum I used was a bit thinner. I didn't use a ram mount either since I had a bracket that my GPS mounted directly onto.
I really prefer a centerline mount like that because one tends to go in the direction you're looking. With the GPS mounted on the centerline it's less likely one will veer in either direction when looking at the thing. Side mounted equipment can cause a person to go off track toward the side you're looking at.
Back to top Go down
jeffinpittsburgh
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 10:12 am

this would be to much of a challenge for me to make, however, I'd gladly pay for one... if there is an extra laying around or if someone fabricates them.... please let me know
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 10:32 am

I have mine available, removed from Silverwing when I recently sold it. Would be willing to sell. Just need to know if you want RAM ball mount or just bracket. Photo in this thread or in my album shows the mount.

Established seller on eBay and Offer Up with all Positive and 100s of sales.

Mark
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 10:33 am

I also have a spare mount for driving lights that can be mounted under cowling, see photos in album.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 10:38 am

PM sent, Mark

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
vader1701
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
vader1701

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 11:48 am

When I make one I will post some pics. Really like this idea
Back to top Go down
jeffinpittsburgh
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2016 11:41 pm

hi from Pgh....
still looking for one of these mounts.
Back to top Go down
vader1701
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
vader1701

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2016 6:16 am

I am in the process of making one of these and if they turn out I will post if anyone is interested. Just haven't had much time...
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2016 10:34 am

I am very interested Vader1701. If you make an extra I would gladly pay your for time and material. PM me if you are interested in doing this. As a side note, my oldest daughter and family lived near Auburn Hills, then moved to the Indianapolis area a couple years ago. Her hubby worked at the Chrysler Tech Center when they lived in MI.
Back to top Go down
jeffinpittsburgh
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2016 12:28 am

thanks vader1701....
keep me informed please
Back to top Go down
vader1701
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
vader1701

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2016 9:35 pm

Ok here are 2 videos that I posted on my YT channel, these are showing the process that I went through making this mount. I also put all the stuff along with some pics of the GPS and RAM mount info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz4y2k6KVx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl9Sy6qU4GQ

Hope these are helpful for anyone that wants to make them, I am interested in making these for anyone that wants one. I only include the bracket and spacers and screws. PM me if interested and I will give you the price to make these not including shipping.

Back to top Go down
jeffinpittsburgh
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 11:10 pm

welp, i can't "PM" ya vader1701 as I'm a newbie here....
but id like to know the cost of the bracket without the ram ball. i have a ram ball and lots of m5's.
so, i need the spacers and the plate. can you respond here? i watched all the videos today too.....
Back to top Go down
vader1701
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
vader1701

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 11:26 pm

Welcome aboard, Ya I don't furnish anything except the bracket and the spacers. I know and it's been said that you can buy the spacers at a hardware store but I have the tools to make em so I did. This was just a fun little project to do.

You can email me at imthepcguy@gmail.com for more info

Thank you for watching by the way.

Back to top Go down
Blzrmike
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-08-31

PostSubject: Making parts   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2016 12:52 pm

vader1701 wrote:
Welcome aboard, Ya I don't furnish anything except the bracket and the spacers. I know and it's been said that you can buy the spacers at a hardware store but I have the tools to make em so I did. This was just a fun little project to do.

You can email me at imthepcguy@gmail.com for more info

Thank you for watching by the way.

Yeah, I made a comment on your Youtube video about the spacers. Ever since I retired and lost access to the company machine shop I've gotten on a first name basis with the guys at the local Ace Hardware. I miss the fabricating part. Laughing
Back to top Go down
vader1701
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
vader1701

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2016 6:26 pm

Thank you Blzrmike for watching, yes I was just having fun using the tools, I am learning machining and this was a perfect test.

Here is the final video

It's DONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcDlcRAdmFI

Back to top Go down
vader1701
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
vader1701

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2016 5:25 pm

I wanted to post some pics and an email sent to me for making the GPS/Phone bracket, really nice lady here.

Hi Bob,

Just got the bracket you made for me installed this morning. I finally found the bolts I wanted to use to attach the ball mount to the bracket yesterday. The cradle for my Zumo and the parts to attach that arrived Saturday so finally have that project completed. I don't have the cradle wired into the electrical system yet, you can see the wires wrapped around the bracket and arm. One of the guys in my Goldwing chapter here is going to help me with that when he gets a little time. I can use the GPS on battery power until we get that done. New tires are next on the list, even though the '09 SWing only has 5200 miles, the tires are 7 years old so will put new on both front and back.

It would be great if you posted the attached pictures, you need to take credit for the nice work you do!!

Take care,

Jane

Center Handlebar RAM Mount Bracket%201_zpsgscscd3x

Center Handlebar RAM Mount Bracket2_zpsafgisowy

Center Handlebar RAM Mount Bracket%204_zpszcnglbkd

Center Handlebar RAM Mount Bracket%203_zpsmmpwbyu0

Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2016 11:48 am

I am in the process of making a centre bracket (similar to DennisB but my own design) to take a Ram Mount Ball to mount a Garmin GPS.

If there is enough interest I will make more. It will come complete with spacers and screws to fit the Swing and drilled and tapped to fit the Ram Mount. Not sure of cost yet but it would be interesting to know what you would be prepared to pay for this.

I'll post pics as soon as I've finished it.

JB
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2016 3:44 pm

Jolly Bodger, I'd be interested in one - if you can export it to Morecambe Smile

Not totally sure I'd want the Ram mount drill and tapping as have a different mounting, but similar.
Back to top Go down
SilverFeather
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2014-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2016 10:57 am

I use the following mount, Just screws into the Brake reservoir lid. i then safety lanyard my phone to the surrounding mirror/ steering bar incase my phone holder were to ever fail

Been using it for the past year and on the motorway with no issues. Just google ram mount brake reservoir and should come up.

Center Handlebar RAM Mount RAM-B-346UIU3
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2016 2:56 pm

I fitted the same brake reservoir RAM mount on my Silver Wing last year (isn't that a BMW in the photo?) just before a trip to Germany, and I wasn't impressed with it at all. The combined weight of sat nav, locking sat nav holder, and lockable large RAM arm were too much for the threads of the four extended screws that came supplied with the fitting kit and kept slackening off and loosening the lid of the brake fluid reservoir.

They started working loose before I reached the ferry terminal at Hull, and at the end of the next day after regularly retightening the screws out on the road, I cobbled together a temporary repair with electrical tape and cable/zip ties that held until I got back home. l later removed the reservoir mount.

I'm back now to using the centre handlebar RAM mount, as there is a lot of weight on the RAM ball, I now use a thin elastic bungee slung between each side of the handlebars to support the weight of the sat nav and arm.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Centre handlebar Ram mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2016 10:03 am

The Motorcycle  Larry  mount replaces the reservoir cover and is a good fit .  I had mine on the Swing and prior to that on a Deauville and a Pan and had no problems with it loosening off over several years.
Back to top Go down
SilverFeather
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2014-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2016 2:21 pm

Never had any issues with brake reservoir mount, had it for a while and survived long motorway journeys,. will keep an eye out on it though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Center Handlebar RAM Mount   Center Handlebar RAM Mount I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Center Handlebar RAM Mount
Page 1 of 1