Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Seal Mate repair of fork seals.

Go down 
+4
oldwingguy
Easyrider
ScottO
GHM-PM
8 posters
AuthorMessage
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Seal Mate repair of fork seals. Empty
PostSubject: Seal Mate repair of fork seals.   Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 9:41 pm

http://www.sealmate.net/

I ordered one of these kits for my Goldwing but ended up replacing seals instead.  Anyway a week or so  my SWing dripped a small amount of ATF out of right fork leg.  Anyway, I dug out the Seal Mate and watched the video and gave it a shot.  Goldwing seals cost over $250.00 USD at a reputable shop.  I followed the directions as stated in the video and was amazed at how EASY it was.  With over 70 miles on it since the service it is not leaking!!!  Must have had a little something stuck in the seal.  I only have 4 years and 18K on my scoot and figured the seals should last longer than that.  VERY happy camper.

For less than 10 bucks US I would heartily recommend this BEFORE investing in new seals!!!
Back to top Go down
ScottO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ScottO

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Seal Mate repair of fork seals.   Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 11:32 pm

I suspect that my fork has a small leak (17100 miles 2012) Is the ATF pinkish? Thanks for this timely post, doing a search on leaky forks was on my list.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Seal Mate repair of fork seals.   Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 8:04 am

Yes the fluid is pinkish; which is why I assumed it is ATF or something close! For the price it is sure worth a shot! I intend to carry the Seal Mate in my tool kit for use on trips!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Seal Mate repair of fork seals.   Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 3:41 am

How is the seatmate applied? Sounds like you did not have to remove the forks.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Seal Mate repair of fork seals.   Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 7:17 am

Seal Mate is a tool, some make one out of an old credit card. Not wanting to do that is one reason I use a set of fork gaiters on my S'Wwing, removable / cleanable cheap insurance.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Seal Mate repair of fork seals.   Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 8:03 am

Check out the video I posted above... Very specific and easy to do. And I try and keep my forks as clean as I can.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Seal Mate repair of fork seals.   Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 8:24 am

UPDATE: It is September 14 now and the repair has 2500 miles on it with still no leaks!!! For the price I would certainly recommend trying this product. The worse thing that could happen is you are out 5-10 bucks and it doesn't work... In my case it probably saved me hundreds. I thought it was "snake oil" but not so. Smile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Seal Mate repair of fork seals.   Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 12:43 pm

It's easy to make a seal scraper out of an old milk jug. I prefer them over thicker plastic because it doesn't pry the seal away from the fork tube as much.

Replacing seals that are shot isn't a difficult job. I've replaced the fork seals in all models of the Goldwing except the 1800 in my old shop. Takes about an hour if you've done it before and have the tools on hand. I haven't tried it on a SW yet but it shouldn't be difficult. Just a bit messy due to the dirty old oil in the sliders. It's always worth running a finger around the fork tubes just above the sliders to see if there's any oil on them. That way you can catch a leak before it gets bad.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2016-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Seal Mate repair of fork seals.   Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2016 6:27 pm

The best thing I've found to make this tool is a 2 liter soda bottle. It's already curved and nice and think. I've fixed several leaking forks this way.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Seal Mate repair of fork seals.   Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2016 11:42 pm

I just ordered two of these Sealmates. One for each bike. Cheap fix in my opinion. I don't have any leaking forks now but you never can tell.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2016-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Seal Mate repair of fork seals.   Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2016 11:45 pm

Good deal, but you only need one. The tool is reusable pretty much indefinitely.
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2016-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Seal Mate repair of fork seals.   Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2016 11:02 am

Some people us film negative the same way this tool is being used. I suppose one could cut the negative in the same shape. The negative is strong and thin.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Seal Mate repair of fork seals.   Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2016 11:56 am

That should work just fine, except what is film negative? I just have batteries in my camera. Wink
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Seal Mate repair of fork seals.   Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2016 1:10 pm

Reg wrote:
Some people us film negative the same way this tool is being used. I suppose one could cut the negative in the same shape. The negative is strong and thin.

I tried this and my old film negative was too brittle. Old being key word here, not many folks would have fresh film around Smile

One thing I tried is a piece of plastic cut off a cheap window blind. Can be cut to proper size and works fine (I tested it).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seal Mate repair of fork seals.   Seal Mate repair of fork seals. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seal Mate repair of fork seals.
Page 1 of 1