Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Using synthetic oil

Go down 
+5
john grinsel
bicyclenut
NWSSC
oldwingguy
the_mad_rshn
9 posters
AuthorMessage
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2016-03-11

Using synthetic oil Empty
PostSubject: Using synthetic oil   Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 11:57 am

Hi gents,

I have a question. I noticed that our manual specifically warns us against using any oil that has the "energy conserving" markings. Here is what it states:
Do not use API SH or higher oils
displaying a circular API ‘‘energy
conserving’’ service label on the
container. They may affect lubrication
and clutch performance.

I know that with a wet clutch extra slippery oil means slipping clutch, but I thought that our scooters have a dry clutch. So I am confused. Anybody can explain what I am missing here?
Thank you so much
Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Using synthetic oil   Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 1:26 pm

Fair question as the S'Wing "clutch " is the drive belt. My SWAG is because that's what the engine was designed to use. Being water cooled and not necessarily a " performance " engine requires a bit less on oil spec. Remember today's oil is better than the oils of ole days, that perhaps that's the another reason. Castrol or Shell has worked well for me.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Using synthetic oil    Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 1:37 pm

Synthetic oil is not necessary in the S/W and a added expense. If it makes you feel good,its your money and will not cause any harm.
Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Using synthetic oil   Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 3:12 pm

Rotella T6 is a full synthetic oil that even though you need not worry about a wet clutch it is JASO-MA certified (for motorcycles) and is not API Energy Conserving labeled.  It is pretty economical in price compared to Mobil1 for motorcycles and other motorcycle approved synthetic oils. You can usually even buy it at Wal-Mart,...just make sure its the Rotella T6 in a blue bottle, its labeled as for diesel use and being a 5W-40 it will work well in cold and extreme heat.  Many a motorcyclist uses it due to its JASO-MA certification and lower cost.

Using synthetic oil 91jxw610
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Using synthetic oil   Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 3:25 pm

Added expense for anything is right answer.  To include 9 new scooters, one new Miata, one used one, several new bikes including BMW/Suzuki/Honda-----WalMart house brand 10-40 has worked for me for over 500,000 miles.....and will do so for my next purchase.
Back to top Go down
andyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Using synthetic oil   Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 7:15 pm

I choose to run synthetic oil in my scooter. On a high rpm engine I feel that it does a better job protecting and not breaking down. I also have peace of mind starting the bike after months of storage knowing that synthetic oils will coat the engine components better over time. With only 2.3 quarts of oil in the bike it's not much of an expense either.
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Using synthetic oil   Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2016 10:03 am

Thanks, gents! Just what I expected. I realized only after my post that the interavals of the oil change are so long. 8K miles or once a year. WOW!

Thanks again.
Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2537
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Using synthetic oil   Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 9:05 am

I have been using 10W-30 and 10W-40 dino oil for years in the Silver Wing and it seems fine. SWing did not like Rotella T 15W-40 tho. Only time I used that it actually burned a little oil. I bought a gallon of Rotella T5 10W-30 (semi-syn) for my Goldwing as the shifting was a bit rough with other oils. Since making this change the big Wing shifts very smoothly from change to drain. Amazing, and reasonable at Walmart too. This time around the SWing is getting T5 as well. Will simplify, using same oil in both! YMMV
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Using synthetic oil   Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 10:46 pm

Since the Swing is CVT/dry-clutch, you can use pretty much whatever you like for engine oil.
Also, without a gearbox transmission you aren't exposing the oil to the extreme shear loads that meshing gears do, hence the extended OCI.

It appears the oil requirements in the manual are cut & paste Honda text, just like in all of their smallish engined products (plus, it helps steer you to the oil shelf in the dealerships)

As John said, Walmart oil is fine, it is likely made by Texaco or some other major brand, and conforms to the API standards listed. At $2.75/qt with Purolator filter you can get away for 15 bucks!
But, if it gives you a feeling of security, use a premium oil.

I have used of the above and I've gone synthetic, mostly because of the perceived lubricity and viscosity remaining at change time, it just "feels" better in my fingers, even after putting 10,000 hard and hot miles on it. It stays clean longer, does not leave deposits on internal engine components and the engine does not consume ANY oil.

I use Mobile 1 Extended Performance 15,000mi 10w30 and a Bosch synthetic filter.

Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Using synthetic oil   Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 11:16 pm

Here is a link to Walmart's MSDS search page.

If you look up the Super Tech Motor Oil you will find it is made by Delfin, a respected producer of the Spectrol brand motor oils.

Here is the sheet for the 20W-50 I generally use.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Using synthetic oil   Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 11:49 pm

Exactly! I've never seen a Walmart oil refinery......

I made my choice of oil due to my "tactile perception" that it has fully serviceable lubricity, viscosity and dispersion at a greater then recommended OCI, and that gives me peace of mind that I have full protection at the 8k to 10k miles. Safety factor you could call it.

Most riders will find Walmart oil, changed once a year, at the end of the riding season, will give you a long and healthy life.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using synthetic oil   Using synthetic oil I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using synthetic oil
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: