Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Considering A SilverWing

Go down 
+11
Mech 1 twa
Art
exavid
PastorRN
Easyrider
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
Bash On!
Greysilver
bikerbill
kramnalap
15 posters
AuthorMessage
kramnalap
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kramnalap

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2016-05-09

Considering A SilverWing Empty
PostSubject: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 10:08 am

I am new to the forum, presently working in Thailand but considering purchasing a SilverWing in the Niagara Falls area of the US to have some leisure riding on my trips back home. Looking forward to learning more about them through this forum. Presently I have a PCX here in Thailand, which is plenty big enough for Bangkok riding.
Back to top Go down
bikerbill
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2015-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 10:28 am

Welcome kramnalap to the site! A lot of friendly and knowledgeable folks here. I had a SYM HD200 before I bought a SWing. The HD was great for town, bought the SWing to cruise the highways.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 11:15 am

Swing weigh 550 pounds and are a little cumbersome when being pushed or at slow speed. Maybe look at a Forza. Remember, when you sell you will need another person to agree they too need a large, fast scooter in slow traffic.
Back to top Go down
kramnalap
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kramnalap

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 11:23 am

Greysilver wrote:
Swing weigh 550 pounds and  are a little cumbersome when being pushed or at slow speed. Maybe look at a Forza. Remember, when you sell you will need another person to agree they too need a large, fast scooter in slow traffic.
Thanks for the input. The SWing will be for when I am on vacation in the US. My US home is at the edge of the city and have miles and miles of open road through the countryside, so slow speed shouldn't be an issue.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 1:35 pm

Hey, I know you, kramnalap!  Welcome to this forum.

I use regularly use a SW in city traffic as well as a PCX and have absolutely no issue with either in stop-and-go traffic.  Heck, lots of folks use much heavier bikes in such traffic--I did: a Harley Road King and Kawasaki KZ1000P.  

It's not the slow traffic that's the issue, anyway, it's when the traffic opens up a little and you want something nimble to weave through the cars.  Even then, any bike is better than the smallest car.

I think a SW will be great for your intended use.  And, sorry, in response to your question in the PCX forum, mine's not for sale.  Sad
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 2:18 pm

Welcome to the forum Kramnalap. I'm sure that you'll find the Silverwing more than adequate for any task you put to it.

Unless you have a specific Silverwing available in the Western New York area look for a 2008 or newer model. They seem to be a bit more fuel efficient. That said, if you are only going to be using it for a short period of time then selling or storing it the model year won't make a difference.  

You might want to keep an eye on Craigslist (the offerings change frequently) for the Western NY area https://buffalo.craigslist.org/search/mca for availability and asking prices on previously owned Silverwings.

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 3:54 pm

My 05 is suiting me fine and I went from a GL1500 G'Wing. No intentions of long super slab runs and carrying mucho weight or pulling a trailer. I'm happy with mine Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 7:51 pm

In addition to looking for a 2008 or newer, look for an ABS Swing.
Back to top Go down
kramnalap
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kramnalap

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 8:56 pm

Bash On! wrote:
Hey, I know you, kramnalap!  .... It's not the slow traffic that's the issue, anyway, it's when the traffic opens up a little and you want something nimble to weave through the cars.  Even then, any bike is better than the smallest car ... And, sorry, in response to your question in the PCX forum, mine's not for sale.(

Hey, I know you too. Small world.

I am not concerned about slow traffic as the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area is not congested. Here in Bangkok, where I ride my PCX, it is a different story. Shocked

Even if your SWing was for sale, the ride from your place to mine would be very looooong ... but fun! Wink As I mentioned in the other forum, I am sure the Forza would be good, but for some reason they are very hard to find them in my area.

Last edited by kramnalap on Tue May 10, 2016 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kramnalap
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kramnalap

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 9:02 pm

Easyrider wrote:
In addition to looking for a 2008 or newer, look for an ABS Swing.

Thanks for the info. I am only just starting to look. Presently, I am considering a 2002 with 23K for $2,350 and a 2012 with 2.5K for $5,900. Sounds like the 2012 would be the better choice. From what I hearing about bikes, ABS is a big difference.
Back to top Go down
PastorRN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2016-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 11:06 pm

There is 2013 SW for sale at a shop in Bessemer, AL for $4995. I think it has somewhere in the 3000 mile range on it. I traded a 2009 Goldwing for a new 2013 SW due to some health issues. Going from roughly a 950 pound bike to a 550 pound bike which also requires no shifting has been great. The SW is so much easier to control in all the situations I ride in that it makes me glad that I still have a a 2 wheeled option.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 12:22 am

ABS is very worthwhile. I've owned a lot of bikes over the past 60 years and if I ever buy another it will be with ABs just like the last three I've had.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 12:28 am

Ex I agree, ABS is worth every cent. I wont have another bike with out it.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 1:27 am

ABS is specially good for those with A.G.E.
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 10:41 am

I've yet to trigger the ABS on my S wing, but then I'm captain slow :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 11:21 am

Art wrote:

It suppose to work behind the scene. Not sure if you can feel the brake handle vibrate. I feel that it saved my butt twice so far. Some idiot decided he needed to exit the freeway and switched three lanes and cut in front of me, entering the off ramp in the striped area. Missed me by four feet. I pulled hard on the brake handle.I am sure I would have rear ended him, or done down if not for ABS.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 3:06 pm

The two SWs I had didn't have ABS but I've had a GL1800 that did as well as two BMW K1100LTs and my current BMW C650GT. The GW and LTs had more of a pulsating feel when the ABS was triggered while my GT has more of a buzz. I've triggered the ABS on a couple of times by making a very tight turn and applying the rear brake a little harder than necessary. Apparently the difference in front and rear wheel speeds in such a short radius turn fooled the ABS. It didn't cause a problem just a bit of a surprise. I much prefer the newer system with its 'buzz' in the brake lever because the faster braking and releasing of the system feels smoother when making a maximum effort stop.

It took me a while to work up the courage to try to lock up both wheels at a slow speed on the first ABS bike I ever rode (my brother's) but after doing it and with all of them I've owned I've gained a lot more respect for the system. Worth every added penny of the cost.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 7:29 pm

I love riding my SW. only have 1100 miles, recent purchase. 12/18/2015
Dealer in central PA. Track and Trail has new 2013 SW for sale. Bought mine there.
$ 5300 out the door. Plus tax title of course. No other fees.
4 hour drive ???. Best price I could find.
Weight not an issue. Fast enough, handles great.

Back to top Go down
kramnalap
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kramnalap

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2016 11:48 am

Mech 1 twa wrote:
I love riding my SW. only have 1100 miles, recent purchase. 12/18/2015
Dealer in central PA. Track and Trail has new 2013 SW for sale. Bought mine there.
$ 5300 out the door. Plus tax title of course. No other fees.
4 hour drive ???.  Best price I could find.
Weight not an issue. Fast enough, handles great.

Thanks. I may check this out on my next trip back to the US at the end of July.
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 10:33 am

Easyrider wrote:
Art wrote:

It suppose to work behind the scene. Not sure if you can feel the brake handle vibrate. I feel that it saved my butt twice so far. Some idiot decided he needed to exit the freeway and switched three lanes and cut in front of me, entering the off ramp in the striped area. Missed me by four feet. I pulled hard on the brake handle.I am sure I would have rear ended him, or done down if not for ABS.
there's a light on the dash that is supposed to illuminate to tell you ABS is operant, and I doubt the ABS triggers with no tactile sensation, judging from other vehicles with ABS I've owned
I'm dead positive I haven't triggered mine
Now in your case you were in the middle of an OMG moment and might not have noticed a buzz, pulse, or light in that extreme panic, I haven't had a near miss like that yet on this bike
I do know no other bike I ever had had ABS and they all stopped harder than you'd expect in an emergency situation, but I seem to modulate well even when I'm frightened
Back to top Go down
kramnalap
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kramnalap

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2016 8:53 pm

I am giving this a bump.

I will be back in the area in a month and would be great to have something to ride on in the open air.

If you know of any shops with a Silverwing in stock (preferably used), let me know.
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 4:50 am

I'm new to SW ownership had my 2002 none ABS a month now,I think it's great and suits my needs perfectly.I ride fastish for UK roads but not at hi end (80-85 tops)returning around 50 mpg which I'm happy with.Had to stop pretty quick other day on a dry road (lack of concentration lol)and I was pleased with the linked brakes pulling me up fast and in control lol.Heavy to manhandle round me garage but surprisingly nimble for a big old beast on the road.Looking forward to a long for me trip soon down to Cornwall have a Givi box so plenty of room for tent/sleep bag/air bed etc. Buying the SW was to see if I like it enough to buy a new one in couple years,we'll see but so far so good
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 4:13 pm

Welcome to the forum Kramnalap. I own a 125 as well as my 600cc Silverwing, NON ABS.

Given a choice, I would pick the ABS every time, as my Goldwing was selected for it being ABS.

I do wish to point out as we discuss ABS on the Silverwing. The NON ABS Silverwing does have linked brakes. When you activate one brake handle, it does operate both brakes. I am not sure how all of that works, but it does.

ABS was a $1000 additional feature when new. I don't think the feature would be $1000 more in a used environment. Had I not got my used Silverwing for $900, I would still be shopping for an ABS model.

MY 2011 PCX 125 has 34,000 miles and counting. The Silverwing has 8800. My 2002 ABS has 72,000.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 5:00 pm

Mine's abs, as have been my last 3 bikes, I don't think I'd buy a bike without it now.  I even like the way the brakes link; right lever front only, left back and a bit of front. I'd usually prefer it the other way round (like the tenere) and keep back as back only, but it seems to work on the sw!
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 6:28 am

I think the back brake can be used a bit more on a scooter.
There seems to be more weight on the back and less weight transference forward under braking.
Probably because of the upright feet forward position the the long wheelbase.

I stand to be corrected on all of that but it's just how it seems to me.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 4:58 pm

Cookie wrote:
I think the back brake can be used a bit more on a scooter.
There seems to be more weight on the back and less weight transference forward under braking.
Probably because of the upright feet forward position the the long wheelbase.

I stand to be corrected on all of that but it's just how it seems to me.

The majority of your stopping power is from your front wheels. When activating the brakes, a lot of the weight of bike and rider is shifted to the front wheels. That is why the front of the bike dips when activating the brakes. Too much rear wheel brake can lead to the bike sliding sideways and your rear wheels will end up being in front of the bike. I had this happen a lot of times in the rain with my older non-linked non-ABS bikes. That is why I will only purchase bikes with ABS. Actually I sold my 2002 non-ABS Swing for a 2013. Not sure what year ABS was made standard on the Swing.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2016 12:52 am

As with all rwo wheelers the back brake is all about control, the front all about speed reduction.
Back to top Go down
kramnalap
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kramnalap

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2016 1:36 am

Great comments on ABS and braking ... but does anyone know of a SilverWing (or possibly a Forza) available in Western New York (USA)?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Considering A SilverWing   Considering A SilverWing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Considering A SilverWing
Page 1 of 1