Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

No longer a SW rider

Go down 
+4
Art
Cosmic_Jumper
oldwingguy
gremlin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

No longer a SW rider Empty
PostSubject: No longer a SW rider   No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 7:42 am

I was just enjoying the start of my second year on the SW, but today a grandmother rammed me as she was exiting a round about and now I am left with a sorry looking scoot that will be towed to the loss assessors tomorrow. There is panel damage everywhere on the right side and underneath and broken mudguard. Luckily I got away with damaged helmet, boots and trousers, a few bruises and swollen leg.
Police came, but were not interested and the insurance companies here do not back you up at all. To save money they arrange with the other party's insurance to attribute guilt 50:50, so you get covered ( minus excess ) and you loose your no claim bonus. You are always part guilty, unless you take the matter to court at your own expense.

For starters I can already foresee they will not be able to fix my SW for less than the sum insured: Aus $ 7400 for a 2007 model. Seeing that there is only a few dozen of these in the country, I don't think they will get the panels here in Oz. Handlebar is bend and brakes are dragging, Givi Box damaged and what else the experts will find.
The real problem is that if they pay me out, there is only 3 used Silverwings for sale in Oz ( new ones have not been sold for at least 6 years) and only one with low kms that I would be interested in.
On the upside I might be able to buy the damaged scoot very cheap from the insurers, because what else are they going to do with it? So If I buy another SW, I might end up with a nearly full set of spares, apart from right hand side panels.
I always wanted one in a different colour, but as Johnny Cash said: if a man could have half his wishes, he would double his troubles 🚬
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: No longer a SW rider   No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 7:54 am

Sorry to hear that at least you weren't seriously hurt. We have a no fault law here in o-HI-o, I call it the lazy LEO law and have dealt with it personally. Insurance however has been more than fair to me with the money end. Buy back here is complicated by the fact salvage yards have a prearranged deal with the insurance companies, the DON'T WANT TO BOTHER dealing with the customer comes into play there. Going to court here can pay if you have a decent lawyer and are patient.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: No longer a SW rider   No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 9:08 am

Hmm...Be careful. Bent handlebars could also indicate a twisted front end. How available are spare parts in OZ? Little use in having an "unrepairable" Silverwing on your hands.

Sorry to hear of your accident, but glad that you didn't suffer any more serious personal injury.
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

PostSubject: Re: No longer a SW rider   No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 10:42 am

sorry to hear that, here we have LEOs who are supposed to asses fault, but sometimes get lazy like that
good you weren't hurt worse though
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: No longer a SW rider   No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 11:11 am

You walked away. That is batting .400 in this game.
Back to top Go down
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

PostSubject: Re: No longer a SW rider   No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 12:03 pm

There are several traffic circles where I live. I like the efficiency that they provide but at the same time my experience has been that they also are the site of close encounters. It seems to be more of a risk if one is "two wheeling". It also seems that many folks think that right of way rules don't apply to motorcycles. I am aggravated in your cause Mr. Gremlin.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: No longer a SW rider   No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 1:50 pm

It's different here in the US, I'm sure, but I've found that with a little prodding one's insurance company can sometimes be persuaded to be a little more proactive.

A guy was racing in a parking lot and hit my car.  He claimed he wasn't speeding but I knew he was.  My insurance company was going to let it drop when the other driver's insurance wanted to assign liability to both drivers.  That meant I'd have to pay a $500 deductible.  

However, I kept after my insurance, doing legal research on liability for parking lot collisions and prodded the adjuster to get security video from the business in front of which the accident occurred.  My insurance company ended up taking the other company to arbitration, where the other driver was found fully at fault.  I got my $500 back.  I also avoided having an at-fault accident on my record (i.e., no insurance rate hike). Smile
Back to top Go down
Sebastiono
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Sebastiono

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2016-12-19

PostSubject: Re: No longer a SW rider   No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2017 1:18 pm

I know it is an older thread- but it would be possible to buy the parts in Europe at ebay- or salvage dealers.
From Germany shipping to Australia is I would say affordable.

German Mail (DHL) to Australia:
DHL Paket International
min. 15 x 11 x 1 cm
max. 120 x 60 x 60 cm
Transportversicherung bis 500 EUR inklusive
bis 5 kg 45,99
bis 10 kg 61,99
bis 20 kg 100,99
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No longer a SW rider   No longer a SW rider I_icon_minitime