Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Returned from Trip

Go down 
+3
JeffR
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Returned from Trip Empty
PostSubject: Returned from Trip   Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 9:16 pm

Returned yesterday, after noon from Friend's funeral in WI. Took in Michigan UP on return to look at property in Ironwood. Ride done without electric opening seat/computer/GPS. Bike with stock drive train and suspension. WalMart oil/reg Gas.

total miles---2600

SilverWing trouble=zero

MPG=a strong 55 plus for trip, a couple of tanks at 60 mpg.made attempt on first day to hold revs down....second day on just rode.

Rain--last half of first day--

Snow----on Sides of road northern WI/UP and finally ended about 100 miles north of Detroit

Temps----cold, but sunshine, except for rainy time

US road conditions=horrible, broken surface//bumpy. Third world!!

Wind---lots from all directions

Clothes---always trying different combo's----Darien Jacket, using new leather jacket with vest under, as liner. Darien Pants//weather proof but do not seem to be comfortable for me Got cold a couple of times=my fault. Based on previous cold experience.....nothing beats 2 piece JOE Rocket rainsuit with pants pulled up to nipple level---feather jacket, plus feather vest if real cold. My Joe Rocket jacket wore out,so will get another this season. Did use Aerostich heated bib about half of time. Plug in under seat. Wolverine Waterproof Wellington boots worked fine.

Helmet----took the wrong one---Vega open face=too heavy, at about 400 miles pain to ears became unbearable (ear plugs or helmet design?) Built in face shield, works fine.....if you like them.

Rear Tire-Bridgestone has about 5,000 miles now wearing square. Probably 3,000 miles of wear left

Luggage---two Ortlieb rubber bags, E45 GIVI box.

Took GIVI hump bag....and then used only one day.....too hard to get on bike.

Old age....I will be 77 in May----not a problem if you dress for ride----feet forward riding position is hard on spine....I get off every 50 miles or so.

Control: ruff roads/bumps regular motorcycle allows better/safer control. Scooter requires constant attention with no foot pegs to stand on/tank to grip with knees.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Returned from Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Returned from Trip   Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Happy to hear that you had a safe trip, Mr Grinsel.

How'd ya like crossing that Big Mac bridge? For me it's one of my worse nightmares. Been across it 4 times --never on the paved surface, always on the open grate lane. Thankfully it was never in rain. Don't know what I'd do if I was faced with that. Probably have to book a motel and wait it out, or bite the bullet, do the ride then stop at McD's to change my underware.

I do enjoy the pasties and smoked lake fish in the UP though.

Tim
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Returned from Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Returned from Trip   Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 9:40 pm

John,

Nice report and glad you made it back ok, and sorry to hear about your friend. Do you have any other trips planned for this year? And when you decide to buy another scooter have you thought about buying a scooter with larger tires? I think the Kymco has a couple of scooters with 16" tires. I have to say....you do ride the heck of your scooters.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Returned from Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Returned from Trip   Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 10:04 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Happy to hear that you had a safe trip, Mr Grinsel.

How'd ya like crossing that Big Mac bridge? For me it's one of my worse nightmares. Been across it 4 times --never on the paved surface, always on the open grate lane. Thankfully it was never in rain. Don't know what I'd do if I was faced with that. Probably have to book a motel and wait it out, or bite the bullet, do the ride then stop at McD's to change my underware.

Tim

Tim,  I hear you on the Big Mac bridge. I went over it 3 times back in 2011. Had to ride the steel grate side the cement side was under construction.  Thank God it wasn't raining or too windy.  It was my first season riding.  A newbie I was.  Pretty views if you had a chance to look.

John, condolences on the loss of your friend. Glad you had a safe trip.

Cathy
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Returned from Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Returned from Trip   Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2016 7:11 am

The bridge this time early morning, both lanes going my way open so was able to ride on normal pavement-------Note I find over the years, motorcycle (not cruiser) allows more relaxed riding on metal mesh-----me, SilverWing not that well handling, unbalanced, luggage, top box can be handfull on metal mesh....if you don't relax!
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

Returned from Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Returned from Trip   Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2016 10:23 am

Sounds like a great trip other than the occasion. Sorry to hear that you lost a friend. I appreciate the details of the ride and identifying your equipment under varying circumstances. Hope of hear a lot more from you. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Returned from Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Returned from Trip   Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2016 12:05 pm

No 16 inch wheel scooters for me----looked at Kymco 300 with 16 inchers----local dealer appears not interested in stocking them. on a stupid move might try another Vespa==no dealers nation wide, Italian parts service....owned 4 in past----can provide buffet free ride with right shield, front luggage rack nice, tiny gas tank sucks and requires lifting seat to fuel....imagine doing that 4-5 times a day with luggage behind you.
Back to top Go down
kench
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-06-10

Returned from Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Returned from Trip   Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 1:37 am

John, I have read several of your posts and respecting your experience, I have some questions for you. I bought a silver wing 6 weeks ago and I have had an NT 700v for two years. Since I bought the silver wing I have been switching back and forth between the two, taking 2 day trips of 500 to 800 miles. I like both. I am 72 years old and find the scooter is better on my shoulder and neck and the NT is better on my back . There are other things I like about each but I would like to hear what your thoughts are on each as I read you had an NT among your many bikes and scooters.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Returned from Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Returned from Trip   Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 6:53 am

Hello Kench. It is customary to introduce yourself before posting a reply or new topic. That'd go in the Forum > Introductions section on the toolbar.

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Returned from Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Returned from Trip   Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 7:48 am

I had new NT700 V=fine and reliable motorcycle---left alone, free of buffeting up to 60-70 mph, heavy, only add on needed Givi top box and rack, nice and proper riding position.

Two new SilverWings, now maybe 70,000 miles total. Reliable, not buffet free in spite of after market windshields, heavy/top heavy feeling to me @77. Belt change every 16,000 miles, pain in butt and expense----feet forward riding position hard on body, seems to work best on Honda recommended tires. Most dealers know little about them. Bottom has fallen out of maxiscooter market in US=low used prices

Based on 61 years and over 1.5 million miles of riding----neck pain, comes from too heavy a helmet/holding on to bars too hard. Scooter has no tank to hold onto with legs=tiring riding position. Shoulder Pain---probably related to holding bars too tightly

Scooter appeal to me--step thru, underseat storage----Motorcycle--better riding position/probably safer due to better handling.

Next bike for me, probably SR400 Yamaha, had new SR500 '78--next scooter?? Want easy to remove wheels/no buffeting.
Back to top Go down
kench
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-06-10

Returned from Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Returned from Trip   Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks for your take on the NT and Silver Wing John, sounds right on to me. I know I grip the bars too hard, continuously remind myself not too. Good luck with next bike search. Maybe something new will come out for 2017.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Returned from Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Returned from Trip   Returned from Trip I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 8:03 pm

A lot of riders get tense while riding. I know I did. That can cause your shoulders, and neck to ache. To check, try drooping or relaxing your shoulders while you ride. If that make your arms drop, you're riding tense. Another odd way to check which works on motorcycles with tanks is to squeeze the tank with your knees. If your elbows drop when you do that, you're tense. Force your body to relax, just let your self sag a bit to loosen up a bit and your ride will be a lot less tiring and painful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Returned from Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Returned from Trip   Returned from Trip I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Returned from Trip
Page 1 of 1