Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Idle speed adjustment

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Idle speed adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Idle speed adjustment   Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 8:20 pm

Greetings. Lately, I've noticed that my SWing's idle speed has crept up to about 1500-1600 rpm. The service manual says that 1300 is correct and it shows that there is an access port to the idle adjustment screw under the seat.

I found the port, but cannot raise the seat high enough to look in and find the screw adjuster. Also can't feel it.

Anybody done this before and figured out a way to do it without disconnecting the seat support strut?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Idle speed adjustment   Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 9:46 pm

Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Idle speed adjustment   Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 12:55 am

Thank you, Jeff. Still a bit of a puzzle to me, as I have to do it by feel and I'm not sure I'm in the right place.

I'll try it again tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Idle speed adjustment   Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 2:37 pm

Jinglebob wrote:
Thank you, Jeff.  Still a bit of a puzzle to me, as I have to do it by feel and I'm not sure I'm in the right place.

I'll try it again tomorrow.

Jinglebob,
I would disconnect the seat support before trying to adjust the idle. There are vacum adjuster screws on either side of the idle set screw and you do not want to mess with the vacum adjuster screws. By diconnecting the seat support you can raise the seat to see into the access hole to get to the idle screw. It is located in the middle, but under some hose. You should get a service manual before attempting any maintenance to your bike.
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Idle speed adjustment   Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 8:43 pm

Thanks, Easyrider. As noted above, I have the service manual and have consulted it on this and many other maintenance subjects. It's a very good manual for most things, but on this subject, it's not too good.

I think you're right...I'm going to have to disconnect the strut so I can see where the idle adjust screw is. I'm not feeling up to it at the moment, but I'll probably get to it next week some time.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Idle speed adjustment   Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 10:39 pm

To 'un-do' the strut, all you have to do is remove the very small cotter pin. Just be careful that you don't drop it since it is very small. Once you remove it you can just get a bungy cord and hook the seat to the handlebar to keep the seat up. It only takes about 10 seconds with a pair of needle-nose pliers.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Idle speed adjustment   Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 11:03 pm

Yes, I remember from when I changed the stock seat out to a Corbin seat. I lost at least one cotter pin on that little transaction and that's why I'm trying to avoid it for this... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Idle speed adjustment   Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 9:48 am

Hold a magnet (the larger the better) under that cotter pin as you are removing it. Hopefully that magnet will catch the in if it slips your grip.

I've taken to adding a twist tie to the loop end of the pin before reinstalling. Even though it's only a few inches long, it gives you something to grasp when removing the pin, but also makes the pin much more noticeable if it does go awry.

Those little buggers do share DNA with feral parakeets and will join the mysterious flock of feral budgie pins flying about given the slightest opportunity.

Tim
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Idle speed adjustment   Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 2:32 pm

I call them Jesus pins. That's what I say when I lose them Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Idle speed adjustment   Idle speed adjustment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Idle speed adjustment
Page 1 of 1