Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Battery Removal

Go down 
+5
Art
Chilliwing
Meldrew
HORNBLOWER
MikeO
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 5:16 pm

I'm having a 'lack of confidence' moment.

I want to take the battery out but can't find if there's a strap or whatever holding it in.

Pathetic really but please will someone tell me.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Once you remove the cover it just pulls out. Mine was a very tight fit. I now put a couple of very big cable ties round mine to help pulling it out.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 5:39 pm

According to my virgin clean unsullied Honda Service Manual there's no strap, you just remove the special bolt and battery box cover. As the battery is on it's side, with the ignition switch 'OFF', disconnect the negative (-) cable first, then remove the terminal cover and disconnect the positive (+) terminal.

Installation is in the reverse order of removal.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 5:46 am

Thank you both very much.

I am very grateful.
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 11:53 am

Mike I recently took my battery out , it was dead and in need of a charge. It is a tight fit for sure. I took the opportunity of installing battery charging pigtails so I can trickle charge the battery without removing stuff and the battery cover in the under seat compartment.
I routed the pigtail through a very tight opening visible in the battery compartment. Seems to work well!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 12:35 pm

Thank you for the tip.

Unfortunately, I have no access to a power point within reach of the bike; I live in a first-floor (UK)/second-floor(US) flat/apartment so will have to bring the battery indoors.

I'm not complaining; I'm fortunate to have a cosy place to live. Smile

Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 12:53 pm

no safe way to run an extension cord?
I'd trade my current living quarters for a cosy apartment, even a 2nd floor one
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Not permanently, no.

In what are you living at the moment?
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 2:40 pm

16x8 travel trailer, which would be better if it was a 'coach' design rather than a 'bunkhouse'
Also if it weren't built in 1985 Laughing
waiting for delivery of a portable building to be converted to living space over time
I wasn't thinking permanently, just running the pigtail and dropping an extension cord down when needed rather than pulling the battery
Of course, it's not like it's a big ol' car battery so mot really a big deal Laughing
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 3:18 pm

Solar powered chargers can be useful if you have no access to mains power, depending on how secure your storage is and of course the need for some daylight !!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 3:47 pm

I see; I hope your new 'house' arrives soon.

Not too happy about leaving the charger unattended outside but I take your point.

In fact I do have a solar-charger connected but I caned the battery a few weeks ago (just before Christmas) as the bike got very wet and wouldn't fire.

I used my jump-starter and the battery held some charge for a while but the battery didn't get a good boost.

I'll take it off and give it a good charge then see what happens; it may be that it's worn out, in which case I'll replace it.

Thanks again for all the advice/support.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 10:15 pm

I took the battery out of a friend's SW last spring so he could get a new one. Shortly after he called me and said he couldn't get the new battery in the battery box. I stopped by and he told me the thing was just too big to go in. I took a look and slipped it right in. He was very embarrassed because he'd been trying to put it in sitting upright. Embarrassed because he used to be a heavy equipment mechanic and had installed a lot of car, truck and heavy equipment batteries over the years. He said this was the first time he'd ever seen a battery mounted on its side.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 12:28 am

A strip of  plastic parcel strapping placed under the battery before installing can help with lifting it out if space is tight
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 12:44 am

exavid wrote:
I took the battery out of a friend's SW last spring so he could get a new one. Shortly after he called me and said he couldn't get the new battery in the battery box. I stopped by and he told me the thing was just too big to go in. I took a look and slipped it right in. He was very embarrassed because he'd been trying to put it in sitting upright. Embarrassed because he used to be a heavy equipment mechanic and had installed a lot of car, truck and heavy equipment batteries over the years. He said this was the first time he'd ever seen a battery mounted on its side.

Did you notice if your friend got the correct battery? You would not want to install a battery that will leak acid if placed on it's side. Makes a mess. Smile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 1:05 am

No danger of that. My buddy has been in the business for many years. He's had a lot of motorcycles as well but never saw a battery in a bike mounted with the battery on its side.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 10:47 am

I won't go into detail; suffice it to say, the battery slipped out as if on rails, I had some puzzlement over what it was doing when on charge, it started the bike just now as if it was on 24 volts and I want to thank Meldrew especially, along with a couple of X9OC friends and some here, for all his support - I mean it!

Whether the battery will hold its charge overnight remains to be seen but I've stopped worrying!
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 11:41 pm

good you got it done, and I take your point about chargers left outside, I've lived in places I wouldn't leave a greasy rag outside
thanks for the well wishes re my portable, so far the weather's been too wet
Someone forgot to remind mother nature this is Texas Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Battery Removal 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 3:53 pm

cheers Glad you got it sorted and you're right about people willing to help on this forum. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Battery Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Removal   Battery Removal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery Removal
Page 1 of 1