Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Homemade variator tool

Go down 
+18
Dale N.
bikerboy
oldwingguy
Dave Weller
MadDog
CnR
Kenjj50
Easyrider
"Hi Yo"
MikeO
Meldrew
gremlin
Cosmic_Jumper
micbusathens
Silver Dave K
Art
ScottO
hankster
22 posters
AuthorMessage
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

Homemade variator tool Empty
PostSubject: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 4:35 pm

I know this has been talked about a lot but I just changed my belt today (and 26g Dr. Pulley sliders) so had to made a variator tool. Just used a 1/2" piece of plywood, a couple 1/4" bolts 1-1/4" long, fender washers and blind nuts on the back side. Thought I'd share a pic of the tool to maybe give someone else an idea of how it can be done.

Homemade variator tool Tool
Back to top Go down
ScottO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ScottO

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 6:29 pm

That looks like a great tool. Glad I saw this, I'll be changing my belt in a couple thousand miles.
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 11:22 am

Lot simpler than the metal version using angle
how does a fella know when his sliders need replacing? (assuming sliders are what Honda stuck in there, I've also heard reference to rollers)
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 12:27 pm

Art, Honda puts in rollers...... Dave
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 2:53 pm

Change to Dr Pulley sliders and you will never have to change again.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 4:29 pm

micbusathens wrote:
Change to Dr Pulley sliders and you will never have to change again.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I used Dr Pulley 28gm Sliders on my 2003 SW for well over 50,000 miles with absolutely no signs of wear. If I had been able to swap out the Dr Pullley Sliders for old OEM Rollers before the salvage company hauled away my '03 I would be using that same set of Sliders in my 2009 SW.

The OEM Rollers get a flat spot on them after awhile, so you should check those rollers everytime you change the belt. Or, like Micbuathens says, just go with Dr Pulleys and be done with it.

Tim
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 11:14 pm

Art wrote:
Lot simpler than the metal version using angle

Not by much in my opinion ( took me less than 10 minutes ) and the tool made from flat steel can easily be carried along with a spare belt if you go for a long trip.
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 11:28 pm

A lot more people have scrap wood laying around than scrap flat steel pieces. For me, if I was going on a long trip I'd make sure the belt was in good condition before I left. Could the belt fail even if there should have been a lot of life left in it? Sure, but unlikely. I would be much more worried about a tire blowing than a belt breaking. Not sure many carry a couple spare tires and all the tools it would take to change them. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 12:59 am

If you're not confident about going a long trip without carrying  a spare belt and lengths of scrap wood or metal along 'just in case', you shouldn't really be riding a maxi scooter. As long as the belt is changed within the recommended mileage you'll be fine.

Do you think cautious 650 Burgman owners are carting round a complete new transmission, a cabinet full of tools, a  workshop manual, a portable shelter, work lights, and a factory trained Suzuki bike mechanic on the back seat 'just in case' they might have terminal transmission failure when they go out on a long trip.

It would be far more useful if someone who had the details of how to make the the late Leroy Beal's homemade Silver Wing variator holding tool shared that on the forum.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 7:11 am

Still hoping you'll 'share' your home-made device for retaining the top part of the Givi adjustable screen.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 12:08 pm

I no longer have that retainer on my Airflow, it was a quick fix I put together as a knee jerk reaction to losing a second top screen and fitting it's replacement and retainer a couple of days before I went off touring in Thüringia in Germany as I didn't want to lose that one.

I removed the M.A.R.S. the 'Meldrew Airflow Retention System' as I jokingly called it a few months later as it wasn't needed. If I thought it was essential I wouldn't have spent another £80 on a Wunderlich wind deflector that's been fitted to the top of my Airflow top screen for the last 18 months or so.

Since I haven't read on here or other maxi forums about Airflow users losing top screens you could say I went a bit over the top with my M.A.R.S. Of course some users reading of my experiences of losing two top screens were worried that this was going to happen to them and wanted details of the bodge I cobbled up in my garage.

I didn't 'share' anything back then because there was nothing to share, it was a problem I alone had back then and no longer have. I alerted members here and the Muppets forum about the potential problem and dangers of losing their top screens, and you're all still riding around with your Airflows intact are you not?

Let's not have the paranoia about top screens like there is about 650 Burgman transmissions. Replacement top screens are reasonably priced and easily available, and if I can dream something up as a temporary solution I'm sure anyone can.

Then of course I haven't forgotten that not sharing this info about my bodge made with a few bits of junk in my garage to the forum is one of the reasons/excuses you used to ban me from this forum during your short tenure as site owner of silverwing600.com .

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 12:49 pm

so are the 28 or 26g sliders preferable? considering I like the performance pretty well stock
I'm guessing it's a tradeoff of some sort
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 3:22 pm

Art wrote:
so are the 28 or 26g sliders preferable? considering I like the performance pretty well stock

28gm Sliders are the same weight as the OEM Rollers yet are a marked improvement over stock. 26gm Sliders will give noticeable accelleration improvement over stock. Accelleration with 21gm sliders will be pretty dramatic.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 6:47 pm

Thanks Tim, good to know
She accelerates pretty well already if you ask her to
I got a solid 0-80 run last night rolling on the throttle 80-100 was a bit slower. but why would I want to go that fast anyway? Laughing
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 10:20 pm

Art wrote:
I just changed from stock 28g rollers to the 26g sliders. To me, the difference is not that noticeable. A little bit better accel but nothing to brag about. Maybe later I'll give some 22s a try.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 5:50 am

Yes indeed.
I apologise unreservedly.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Homemade variator tool 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 4:24 pm

Art wrote:

I got a solid 0-80 run last night rolling on the throttle 80-100 was a bit slower. but why would I want to go that fast anyway? Laughing

To keep from getting rear ended. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 1:10 am

hankster wrote:

I just changed from stock 28g rollers to the 26g sliders. To me, the difference is not that noticeable. A little bit better accel but nothing to brag about. Maybe later I'll give some 22s a try.

I changed the OEM rollers to 24g sliders when I serviced my Swing at 5K miles. The change was impressive. You will notice the improvement in the acceleration. My gas mileage has not changed much. I would caution you on using the 22g sliders. Members report higher RPMs hence less MPG. That is if MPG matters to you. Just my 2cents.
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 12:08 am

Hi Yo wrote:
Art wrote:

To keep from getting rear ended.      :lol!:
well, you got a point, it IS Texas Laughing
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 9:53 am

Kind of off the subject of the homemade variator tool!
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 10:20 am

Not too far off the subject since we were discussing sliders vs rollers in the variator! I have no idea how fast my '02 Swing gets from 0-80, I never timed it, but it's certainly fast enough to pass anything I've tried to pass! From 80 to 100 may have taken longer, but I was holding on too tight to check a stopwatch!!
Back to top Go down
CnR
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2014-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 5:24 pm

Those two holes, with the two 1/4" bolts..... Any idea what the diameter is of those 2 holes?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 5:36 pm

CnR wrote:
Those two holes, with the two 1/4" bolts..... Any idea what the diameter is of those 2 holes?

scratch Um, you wanna know what diameter those 1/4" bolts are? Lemme think about this.
Back to top Go down
CnR
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 5:40 pm

No silly, lol, the diameter between the 2 bolts...
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 8:36 pm

The distance between the two bolts is: 100mm
Back to top Go down
CnR
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 8:39 pm

Thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
MadDog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2016-07-11

PostSubject: Variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi I'd be grateful for the measurements of the variator home made tool metal and wood Getting near to belt change and intend fitting sliders also [looking for better consumption figures].Is there a pictorial for Belt change ?
Mad dog
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 09, 2017 6:46 am

I did not have enough hands to use a holding tool and put pressure to release the bolt, so resorted to a cheap 12v Aldi inpact gun I brought years ago for about £10, it worked a treat. It is a simple job, so glad I got a Silverwing, (when I owned a Burgman 650 I always thought the transmission would one day bite me).
I'm sure a belt would last a very long time, it was like new after 15,000 mile and so were the fishing weights.
Back to top Go down
MadDog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: More information   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 09, 2017 8:57 am

May I should be posting else where
Information on Dr pulley rollers Part No and where to obtain them
thanks guys
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 09, 2017 10:24 am

Somewhere on here are the all PDF's made by the late Leroy Beal for the Silver Wing, including the materials needed and dimensions for the variator holding tool.

Leroy Beal's website was taken down a few years ago to the dismay of a lot of Silver Wing owners who'd used his back rest and variator holding tool mods. All this info was generally thought to be lost forever, but before this a forum member whose name escapes me had the good sense to downloaded all the relevant PDF's. He later made them all available to us on here, but what topic, post, or title they're under I've no idea.

Maybe mentioning this will jog someone's memory. Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 09, 2017 12:09 pm

Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 09, 2017 7:57 pm

3/4" plywood piece 4.0" wide and 30 inches long worked very well for me.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 10, 2017 9:38 am

There is on fleabay a Bergen motorcycle clutch/flywheel tool which appears to be a copy of the Honda tool. It costs £7-89 with free postage. It's hardly worth the bother of making your own !
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 10, 2017 12:54 pm

I made mine out of a couple of scrap pieces of steel I had laying around. Didn't cost me anything but my time.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Ditto to "oldwingguy" (that's what I did and it worked great)... Dale's method looks pretty good too (just didn't have the materials layin' around to try it)...
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Homemade variator tool 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 10, 2017 7:08 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Somewhere on here are the all PDF's made by the late Leroy Beal for the Silver Wing, including the materials needed and dimensions for the variator holding tool.

Leroy Beal's website was taken down a few years ago to the dismay of a lot of Silver Wing owners who'd used his back rest and variator holding tool mods. All this info was generally thought to be lost forever, but before this a forum member whose name escapes me had the good sense to downloaded all the relevant PDF's. He later made them all available to us on here, but what topic, post, or title they're under I've no idea.

Maybe mentioning this will jog someone's memory. Smile

I think it was posted by bicyclenut. If you look under pictorials on the main forum page, you should find them.
Back to top Go down
MadDog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 11, 2017 3:50 am

Thanks Bikerboy ordered one yesterday from ebay saves a lot bother
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 13, 2017 9:03 am

On 9th August I posted a link to a thread with both pictures of and dimensions for the tool.
I don't think I'll bother in future. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 13, 2017 1:59 pm

MikeO wrote:
On 9th August I posted a link to a thread with both pictures of and dimensions for the tool.
I don't think I'll bother in future. Crying or Very sad

Don't be upset Mike. It's not your fault that people don't read posts properly. Your effort and input is always appreciated Cool
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 13, 2017 2:10 pm

No good deed goes unpunished !!!

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 13, 2017 2:41 pm

terrier wrote:

Don't be upset Mike.  It's not your fault that people don't read posts properly.  Your effort and input is always appreciated Cool

Thanks, both of you; I appreciate your support very much indeed.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 11:31 am

hankster wrote:
I know this has been talked about a lot but I just changed my belt today (and 26g Dr. Pulley sliders) so had to made a variator tool. Just used a 1/2" piece of plywood, a couple 1/4" bolts 1-1/4" long, fender washers and blind nuts on the back side. Thought I'd share a pic of the tool to maybe give someone else an idea of how it can be done.

Homemade variator tool Tool

Hi Hankster, I am about to change my first V-belt and would like to have a look at the tool you had used. For whatever reason, the link above states "image not found." Would you mind uploading your V-belt changing tool for me to see if I can reproduce it?

I am now at 16,150 miles and the dashboard light went on as promised at 16,000. I will be replacing it next month when I'll likely be at about 16,300. From everything I read, this won't make much difference but want to check with you and others if I'm pushing it too far.

Thanks in advance!
Steve

I'm riding a 2013 Honda Silver Wing/ABS that I love to ride every day!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Here is a link to Bruce Koehler's excellent variator holding tool: https://xa.yimg.com/df/hondareflexowners/Variator+Pulley+Tool.pdf?token=cHagJQQ5JRVe0n3Ynn4UXKmY33_hrpE-qWEsTIPE-J2nHCxDl2foQoyJruTRj9KY8vzF4nbWkp4cBp2oash6enzGmvs95zmRPb5EdCCsdTW6Mq-rYvgZ7Xo4IA&type=download  While the plywood tool is functional, it is bulky and certainly awkward to store. The "Y" tool is easily made, takes little space and folds & stores much easier. In fact, I carry one along when I travel, along with my old belt. Just in case...

Actually, here is a link to Leroy Beale's plywood variator tool: https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0B-lQ7Ifo_iuqZVhweE0zclBNYm8?usp=sharing

Tim
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 3:56 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Here is a link to Bruce Koehler's excellent variator holding tool: https://xa.yimg.com/df/hondareflexowners/Variator+Pulley+Tool.pdf?token=cHagJQQ5JRVe0n3Ynn4UXKmY33_hrpE-qWEsTIPE-J2nHCxDl2foQoyJruTRj9KY8vzF4nbWkp4cBp2oash6enzGmvs95zmRPb5EdCCsdTW6Mq-rYvgZ7Xo4IA&type=download  While the plywood tool is functional, it is bulky and certainly awkward to store. The "Y" tool is easily made, takes little space and folds & stores much easier. In fact, I carry one along when I travel, along with my old belt. Just in case...

Actually, here is a link to Leroy Beale's plywood variator tool: https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0B-lQ7Ifo_iuqZVhweE0zclBNYm8?usp=sharing

Tim

Thanks, Tim! Much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 4:39 pm

I used HF's "torque sticks" and a pneumatic impact wrench for tightening both the driven pulley/crankshaft and drive pulley/clutch nuts for at least ten sessions over 5 years and 45k miles working on my '03 Burgman 400, and two or three cycles on the '06 S'Wing--no need for a holding tool and never a problem.

Using a 65 lb·ft rated stick on the Burgman 400 driven pulley:
Homemade variator tool K3400ClutchTorque-01

A set of 10 in various calibrations is $55, $44 if you have one of their ubiquitous 20% off coupons:

A set of 10 in various calibrations is $55
Homemade variator tool TorqueSticks-01

Torque sticks are torsion springs that within reason¹ absorb applied torque in excess of their target rating. The best analogy most can relate to is attempting to bang a nail into an extended cantilevered end of a board--at a point it matters not how hard or how big a hammer you swing--the nail will not penetrate any further. This is because the "springiness" of the board is absorbing the increased force of the hammer blow.

Torque sticks do the same in a rotary fashion, they "wind up" and absorb the excess applied torque..

Also, as magical as they may seem there is not one bit of wizardry, snake oil or rocket science involved in their design or production--just simple math and knowledge of the steel's modulus of elasticity. I tested the set I bought nearly 10 years ago against a known standard and found each to limit torque within ± 5% of their markings; easily equal to any "clicker" type torque wrench.

I have used torque sticks for 45+ years, in automotive repair and industrial applications; they mot only save time, they can often be more consistent than other methods...

--------------------------------------
¹ - "within reason". It is assumed that the impact driver used with a given torque stick can deliver 150% or more of the stick's rating, and that once the fastener being tightened stops turning (I.e. the stick's rated torque has been applied) the operator stops the wrench. Continued hammering away once the fastener is tight could result in over-torquing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homemade variator tool   Homemade variator tool I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homemade variator tool
Page 1 of 1