Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring

Go down 
+5
gremlin
dspevack
Old Limey
john grinsel
bicyclenut
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring Empty
PostSubject: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 11:02 am

Anyone using these on their Silverwing? Just purchased a set for about $90 at Amazon, will be installing Tuesday.  Good reviews on Amazon and a number of reviews on YouTube and web. Guy with trike has 6 months of use and says they are great.  I know Garmin has a similar product but you need their $600 GPS unit and 2-$70 sensors.  $90 and a Android or Apple Smartphone. Sure beats checking pressure all the time if it works as advertised and reviewed.

FOBO Bike

FOBO Bike at Amazon

Review after using FOBO Bike TPMS for 6 months
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 12:39 pm

NO! Better to do checking/filling yourself----if one cannot feel tire going down.....probably should not be one 2 wheels.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 1:51 pm

A Monitor to check your tyre pressures! you must be joking. If you cannot spend the 2-3 minutes needed to check your pressures, well, I better not say what I think. Shocked
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 2:53 pm

I've actually been researching these for a while.
The only problem that I have with this one, is that you have to remember to check it manually,
And it won't alert you to a change in pressure immediately, because your phone probably isn't visible while riding.
The criteria for me was that there be a display mounted on the bike that I can look at a glance any time.
Here are some I found:
http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=421  (Good reviews)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013V80MPA?psc=1  (Solar Powered)

http://www.amazon.com/Steelmate-Motorcycle-Monitoring-Waterproof-Dustproof/dp/B0147W88XM/ref=lp_2601303011_1_5?srs=2601303011&ie=UTF8&qid=1444069995&sr=8-5 (Compact display)
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 3:22 pm

I don't think I would be using these in a hurry.  They are not recommended without the use of the metal t-stems ( according to their own and reviewer's comments), which would need for both wheels to be removed. Then you have a fair bit of extra weight (t-stem & Fobo) which needs balancing. If anything goes wrong, you have to remove the wheel to get rid of the T-piece.  I would no trust a sophisticated electronic device to bounce and spin around for too many thousand miles on a scooter wheel. If something goes wrong you might get a new one under warranty, but is it really worth the hazzles it would create?
Also they obviously will only work whilst they are in bluetooth contact with your smartphone. I for one do not want to have my smartphone draining battery just to monitor my tire pressure. No
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 11:58 pm

Old Limey wrote:
A Monitor to check your tyre pressures! you must be joking. If you cannot spend the 2-3 minutes needed to check your pressures, well, I better not say what I think. Shocked

I never thought they'd be worth it but my GT has the built in TPM system and I do like it. Same thing with the oil monitor that tells me that the oil level is correct. I never had a bike that had these features before and though they'd be useless but now I check my tire pressure every time I ride.

What I really like is when I hit a big bump or a rock makes a pop when I run over it I can check to make sure the tire wasn't losing air without stopping.

True all this computerized stuff isn't necessary but then fuel injection and ABS aren't necessary but I really appreciate both.
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 12:15 am

Wow, I guess not many adopters of new technology here.  I have over 30 years experience in automobile service and I have seen the evolution and benefits of TPMS in vehicles since they first appeared in the early 2000’s.  It’s actually hard to believe TPMS technology has not been mandated or integrated into more motorcycles than there are due to the critical nature of correct tire pressure in cycles.

I do check my tires regularly with a digital tire pressure gauge, but realistically commuting to and from work 5 days a week, maybe a lunch break or 2 and riding on the weekends, that is 14+ times per week if done before each ride.  A simple check of your phone before riding off and correcting with a gauge if needed is a more likely scenario for most riders.  I have found the accuracy of electronic TPMS systems with pressure readings to be consistent and accurate.

I can tell when a tire is sufficiently low or going down, but why not have a warning of a slow pressure loss of a tire before it becomes a major loss or a catastrophic failure. I have my phone mounted with power and a headset in my helmet so it would send a warning before things get worse. From my daily experience with customers, most cannot visually tell or feel a slightly low tire or determine a slight loss of air before it becomes more severe. I have had many a customer tell me a tire looks and feels low only to find it is 30psi overinflated.  These sensors also have temperature monitors that would allow you to monitor and adjust for temperature more precisely which would affect tire pressure and be difficult to do with a conventional gauge.

There is some debate over using these and other sensors with rubber stems but I have metal replacements that were installed when I put new tires on. The manufacturers T-Stems are not required, just an option if you want a second port to fill the tires without removing the sensor.

I see this as an added aid and tool in monitoring tire pressure in addition to regular inspections and maintenance of tires and components of the scooter. To each his own. I’m going to give them a try as an addition to my normal pre-ride checks.

Additional Web Review
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 1:39 am

yes, it does not look like there is too much enthusiasm for the FOBO. Might have something to do with the fact that there is a lot of older members like myself. I do like the idea of an integrated monitoring system, but the FOBO just does not convince me. Purchase price inclusive installation with metal stems, which requires removal of wheels is too much for me for what it does. The fact that you have to unlock them every time you inflate tires and that they require bluetooth connection to a smartphone puts me off. And have they really been proven to be reliable and durable? Maybe in a couple of years I would get something like that, once it has been refined and there is enough feedback available. I do respect the fact that you go out there and try these innovations; through your trade background you have obviously accumulated enough experience to make a sound judgement.
I will be keeping an eye on tire pressure monitors; having bought a lot of crap in the electronic and digital revolution I have slowed down adopting these gadgets now elephant I sure appreciate the insight you have given us.
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 12:42 am

After using the FOBO TPMS system for 2 days, I've found it to be accurate and reliable so far. I've been monitoring and comparing the provided reading from the TPMS vs. my digital tire gauge and the pressures have been within a 1/2PSI considering my gauge reads to the 1/2PSI and the TPMS reads to the tenth PSI. I've checked cold pressure pre-ride after sitting overnight and post-ride after commuting to work and TPMS and gauge are in agreement.

Besides using the unlock tool to release the sensor, a half turn or so, not much more than removing a valve cap to manually check pressure and add air if needed. Just need to be sure to keep tool on bike to be able to remove TPMS sensor. I've not noticed any affect on the wheel balance since adding these and I've been at speeds up to 60MPH.  I will be installing new tires this or next week and I'll go ahead and balance the tires with the sensors installed to be sure.

Cold pressure before riding and after sitting overnight, manual gauge read 27PSI Front, 36PSI Rear; TPMS readings below
TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring Img_3910

After about an hour of riding into work at 40-55MPH, manual gauge read 29.5PSI Front, 40PSI Rear; TPMS readings below
TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring Img_3911

Only running program in background during riding, will send an alert if outside of set MIN and MAX pressures.

After sitting for over 3 hours in garage tonight, rechecked manual pressure - 26.5PSI front and 36PSI rear - TPMS readings...
TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring Img_3912

Will continue to verify and check accuracy frequently but will likely do so less often once I've established that the TPMS readings are accurate and consistent over time, then I will probably check manually less often or when needing to add or reduce air pressure.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 12:52 am

The display is awesome! That sure beats getting down on your knees to try finding the valves in the right position. If you are having a good run with this I might have to get a set myself, despite my reluctance to adopt new technology scratch
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 1:05 am

Gremlin,

I actually pulled the last TPMS readings standing in the hallway inside the house near the garage before I went out and had to get down and do things the old fashioned way to check accuracy.

I have a strong tech background so I've done quite a bit of hardware and software beta testing through the years so I'll put these through the grinder and keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 1:32 am

Well, you have me beat bicyclenut. I have to ride my bike a hundred feet or more before the motion switches in the wheels turn on the TPMS readings on my instrument panel.

It's terrible I have to do all that work just to check tire pressures. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
vader1701
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
vader1701

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2015 10:45 am

I'm going to jump in here, I am with bicyclenut I have been looking at these for some time. I don't see these as a lazy way out of keeping track of tire pressure. I do the normal on your knee check before I ride every time but if technology can help me just a little why not! I did not know that you need the metal stems though, not really a deal breaker in my eyes, heck I spend dollars unnecessarily all the time on mine. Keep us posted by the way I like the phone check display also...Soon our life will be run by an APP
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 1:51 am

So after a week of using the FOBO Bike TPMS system I have had no issues and I have checked the pressure and accuracy of these to death. In general, I would say the pressure readings from the sensors are the same as the digital gauge I use, the only difference is that when you remove the sensors to take a manual reading you can loose some air depending on how fast you remove them, about 0.5-1.0psi. When I have filled the tires I compensate for this and between the gauge check and screwing on the sensor, it is usually dead on or within 0.5psi.

When I installed new tires this weekend I put some new chrome stems on and in balancing the wheels, the sensors only made about 1/4 oz difference. I'm thinking now I should have switched the rear tire valve stem around to be accessed from the left side as it would be easier to get to and with a metal stem, I don't really need the rim valve holder that is on the right side of the valve.

For the techie geeks (like me) you can even get low tire notifications on your Apple Watch relayed from your phone so if your phone is in your pocket or charging in the glove box or under the seat, it will be sent to the Apple Watch. They just released a Watch version for the car TPMS monitor that allows you to see tire pressure readings on your Watch and I understand the FOBO Bike version is coming soon.

At this point I'm going to move to checking the pressures from the TPMS sensors each time before riding and only verify manually when I need to add air or probably once a week or so to confirm. The pressure readings have been accurate and the temperature readings as well.  Tonight there was only a 4 degrees difference between the temperature from the sensors after sitting in the garage for 4 hours and my thermometer in the garage and the wheels are sitting on the cold concrete and the thermometer is near the house door on the wall, so I would expect a difference in readings.

TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring Fullsi10

TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring Fullsi11
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 7:46 am

I must admit to liking the idea of these but they are quite expensive especially when you include the price of the stems. They do seem a bit big as well.
Back to top Go down
vader1701
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
vader1701

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 8:33 am

Great information, if you look around the internet there really isn't much information on these, basically no one has really taken the time to review these. I am interested, as far as the phone monitor I do like that, I don't use my phone while riding but I do stop randomly and I would check this easier then dropping to the ground each time. I would think you would build a pattern eventually and this could become useful info.

Nice write up and thank you for taking the time
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 9:26 am

Vader,

Thanks. I've seen your YouTube videos on your mods and that was some good information.

Know of any good rides in central or western Michigan? Have a cousin near Indy and a friend in Columbus and we are thinking of meeting up for a 2-3 days ride next summer. Seems like Michigan would be one of the the central locations to meet up at and ride.

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
vader1701
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
vader1701

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 9:50 am

Yes the Sleeping bear dunes, Traverse city there are some nice roads to ride and some very beautiful scenery there. Michigan Traverse Bay is a beautiful ride, the western side of the state has some real nice roads to ride. Interlochen, Michigan is another really nice riding area.

Thank you for watching my video's. I am looking at doing my SW seat with better padding. It will involve some upholstery work etc...not in my wheel house with that part but I did do some of that on my Yamaha Majesty and actually had fun doing it so I figure what the heck.

Not a YT know it all that's for sure but doing some of this stuff I have learned a lot and I am having fun doing it too. If your interested there is a small but largely involved group of us that frequent a Yahoo group called The Michigan Scooter Club, your more than welcome to join in. I know you live in Chicago but your practically next door so stop on by and say hello. There are a couple of other guys that I ride mainly with that also have SW's and this was one of my reason's for buying mine...

Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 4:55 pm

Just a follow up on the FOBO TPMS sensors that was the topic of this thread now that I have been using them for about 2 months.  They have worked perfectly and been dead on accurate when checked manually with my digital tire gauge.  Have not had any issues with them coming off or becoming loose when using the safety/security nut. Have learned to add 1-2lbs additional air when filling and checking with manual gauge as some air bleeds off when tightening down until sealed and can always bleed off additional until at exact pressure desired. Have not had any pressure loss with them on besides that due to the temperatures dropping as would be expected. In fact, Silverwing was put in semi-winter storage due to winter weather around here and when I walked near my garage with scooter inside my phone alerted me to low tire pressure due to the 30-40 degree temperature drop we had since I last rode her. Luckily we have had some warmer weather in past week so I have been able to ride a couple days and enjoy the ride before the snow hits the streets. Reliable and accurate, I would recommend these and would buy again.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2022 11:55 pm

I have been using the FOBO TPMS system for just over 10 years on my two bikes. I really liked them, but lately FOBO does not support the newer Android phones. Following is an email response I received from FOBO support regarding my problem connecting to my FOBO sensors.

My question to FOBO support:
Does the Android OS still work? I am not able to synchronize my front tire. It starts by locating my sender, then starts syncing and fails in the middle of the sync. My rear tire never fell out of sync. but I had to disable/enable it to update my rear tire pressure.

Their response:
Thank you for contacting FOBO and we are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

According to our data, Your FOBO Bike’s account have migrated to FOBO Bike 2 App successfully, but your bike profile ""2013 FSC600"” is with Sync status for Front tire sensor and both sensors are with outdated Firmware.

Kindly note that users with older version of Sensors will encounter compatibility issue with Android devices with OS version of 7 and above.( Your device with android 9)

This will cause instability in connection and problem on making any changes to the Sensor (Disable, Enable, Install, Sync).

We would strongly suggest to upgrade the Sensors' Firmware.

To upgrade the sensors' firmware, you will need to have access to iOS devices such as iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. Otherwise, you may return the units to us for us to help you with the upgrade procedures (at your own costs).

Please refer to the below link for how to upgrade Sensors Firmware in FOBO Bike 2 App.

Android compatibility issue

Should you have any issue arise, you may revert to us for further assistance.

Your kind understanding and consideration is highly appreciated.

Best Regards
Amir Bayati
FOBO Support Team

Why do I have to use an IOS phone to upgrade my sensors? OR send my four sensors to them, at my cost, to get them updated. That is their product that they sold go me. Why not write the Android software to do the same thing? Fix the problem of communicating to the newer Android devices.

Can no longer recommend them to anyone. Back to laying down on my garage floor to check my tires.

Thanks, I needed to vent.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring   TPMS - FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FOBO TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring
Page 1 of 1