Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Today at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Yesterday at 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Honda three wheeler

Go down 
+5
Bash On!
bandito2
Tourezrick
bikerboy
AldusFran
9 posters
AuthorMessage
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2015-06-13

New Honda three wheeler Empty
PostSubject: New Honda three wheeler   New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 11:02 am

I just read an article on the new Honda Neowing and it seems pretty impressive. It will run on both fuel through a four cylinder engine and electric motors. Just wondering if they will be marketed in the US and at what price.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: New Honda three wheeler   New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 4:30 pm

It's only a concept at the moment and I'm not sure that I want the complication of the hybrid power.  Honda have already patented the three wheeler front suspension which I would think would be a good alternative to my trike.  The Piaggio MP3 seems to work well enough from what I can see but the engine is a bit too small for my liking !
Back to top Go down
Tourezrick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2014-09-12

PostSubject: Price of Honda 3 wheeler hybrid vs Elio   New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 9:22 pm

So, I was wondering how Elio Motors can produce a vehicle, admittedly not a motorcycle OR a performance vehicle, but so close to being a bike that is weatherproof, heated, air conditioned, ABS, hybrid for $7,450!
Designed for commuting, but capable of the ton. Not neck snapping acceleration, but, my sWing isn’t a Hayabusa either.
So, the Question is how can Elio produce such a vehicle for under $7,500, and have 65,000 paid pre-orders, but our motorcycle manufacturers are stuck on producing overpriced products, with many based on “ancient” technology?

I don’t see it being an apples/oranges comparison, particularly when comparing the Elio to a CanAm, but more a question of why modern bikes are priced so outrageously, economies of scale be damned.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: New Honda three wheeler   New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2017 4:02 am

Tourezrick wrote:
So, I was wondering how Elio Motors can produce a vehicle, admittedly not a motorcycle OR a performance vehicle, but so close to being a bike that is weatherproof, heated, air conditioned, ABS, hybrid for $7,450!

They haven't produced a vehicle... I think many if not most states in the USA classify a 3 wheel vehicle as a motorcycle or "autocycle". I honestly don't think anyone (except for the Chinese perhaps) can produce a vehicle and sell it at that "suggested starting price" without losing $$ on it.

Tourezrick wrote:

Designed for commuting, but capable of the ton. Not neck snapping acceleration, but, my sWing isn’t a Hayabusa either.
So, the Question is how can Elio produce such a vehicle for under $7,500, and have 65,000 paid pre-orders, but our motorcycle manufacturers are stuck on producing overpriced products, with many based on “ancient” technology?

Same as above... they can't, they have not and they probably never  will... Have you not been following the whole Elio fiasco? They are about to run into some serious legal troubles concerning all this money they have been taking in, failing to secure the manufacturing facility and not actually getting anywhere near to beginning to build any production vehicles. They've been dicking around with "test vehicles" and keep pushing back production start up date. Many think (and rightfully so) that the whole thing is looking more and more like an elaborate scam. Many of the small individual "investors" are getting pissed off... The natives are getting restless if you know what I mean.

Tourezrick wrote:

I don’t see it being an apples/oranges comparison, particularly when comparing the Elio to a CanAm, but more a question of why modern bikes are priced so outrageously, economies of scale be damned.
It's called capitalism... people will pay what the market can bear. I think the Chinese are beginning to understand the concept of "quality of materials and workmanship" There are some things they have actually put more effort into with those concepts in mind and finding that they can get more  money for a better product.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: New Honda three wheeler   New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2017 8:58 am

"So, I was wondering how Elio Motors can produce a vehicle, admittedly not a motorcycle OR a performance vehicle, but so close to being a bike that is weatherproof, heated, air conditioned, ABS, hybrid for $7,450!"

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: New Honda three wheeler   New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Bash On! wrote:
"So, I was wondering how Elio Motors can produce a vehicle, admittedly not a motorcycle OR a performance vehicle, but so close to being a bike that is weatherproof, heated, air conditioned, ABS, hybrid for $7,450!"

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Though it seems like an unrealized dream, I would like to see it happen.

At 84 mpg, why do I need a hybrid? Bring on the competition.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: New Honda three wheeler   New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2017 8:09 pm

...Wishing for something will not make it so.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: New Honda three wheeler   New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Sidewinder Pilot wrote:
...Wishing for something will not make it so.

Duh?
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: New Honda three wheeler   New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2017 4:36 am

FWIW Florida defines motorcycle as follows:

F.S. 320.01(27) "Motorcycle" means:

(27)…any motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor or a moped.

I had not realised the Elio Motors was still around. They have been promising their "fantastic"¹ vehicle for nearly (over?) eight years, and "real soon now" since 2012.

At 1500 lbs (with a driver) and 55 flywheel HP it promises to a be a real dog if and when they actually make one.

According to this article as of 12/31/2016 they had $123 million in liabilities and $101,317 in cash, and now claim 2018 as their "target year"...

----------------------------
¹ - Three elderly women are seated on the porch at a home talking about their youth.

One says she attended the finest schools, married a successful business mogul and lived a life of luxury; the second say "That's wonderful!", the third "That's fantastic!"

The second woman tells of her being a debutante, marrying a Count, travelling the world and living in a luxury villa in the South of France. The first woman says "That's wonderful!", the third "That's fantastic!"

They turn to the third and ask about her youth. She says "We were dirt poor and I lived with my grandmother in a run-down shack, she taught me to say 'fantastic' instead of 'bullshìt'".

That Elio sure is fantastic...
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: New Honda three wheeler   New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 1:44 am

cliffyk wrote:

(27)…any motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor or a moped.

Would a Silverwing with the Voyager trike kit (four tires in contact with the ground) not be considered as a motorcycle in Florida?
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: New Honda three wheeler   New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 8:19 am

Easyrider wrote:
cliffyk wrote:

(27)…any motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for thevern use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor or a moped.

Would a Silverwing with the Voyager trike kit (four tires in contact with the ground) not be considered as a motorcycle in Florida?

Technically no, however as there is no vehicle inspection requirement in Florida you can just register it as a bike and no one would really care. I suppose insurance could be an issue in tye event of a crash?

I see a few of those on the road now and then...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Honda three wheeler   New Honda three wheeler I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Honda three wheeler
Page 1 of 1