Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» She's Gone!
by Jolly Bodger Today at 12:20

» Just returned from 36-37 day trip
by cornishtrailsloth Today at 11:06

» air filter after a dusty ride
by cornishtrailsloth Today at 10:57

» Noise on Acceleration
by Cosmic_Jumper Today at 08:42

» Butt rest adjustment
by oldwingguy Today at 08:02

» The Silver Wing is TOO good
by dekare Today at 07:45

» Hello from the western suburbs of Chicago
by DodgetheRog Today at 04:30

» Rattling/clattering from PAIR valve...
by cliffyk Yesterday at 19:01

» Givi Monolock Top Case Mounting
by steve_h80 Yesterday at 14:42

» Cardo G4 Scalla Rider
by johnd Yesterday at 09:47

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Disappointed in high speed hiway travel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2034
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Thu 15 Oct 2015, 22:56

All of the CVT scooters have the freewheeling at very low speeds. It doesn't bother me because a short blip of the throttle will reengage the clutch. It does take more braking on longer or steeper downgrades but I've never overheated the brakes of any of the three different maxis I've owned. These scooters have a lot of brake surface for their weight which helps with brake wear.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Fri 16 Oct 2015, 08:07

exdavid true that and I'll start a new thread with my next question about the down hill free wheeling.
Back to top Go down
westgl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2014-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Thu 14 Apr 2016, 23:15

When riding any bike it's better loosen your grip and relax tightening up and really griping the bike will make it a less comfortable ride make sure the rear shocks are set right for the freeway and the rest will work it self out
Back to top Go down
westgl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2014-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Thu 14 Apr 2016, 23:22

Going to a car tire help make the ride more comfortable

Last edited by westgl on Sat 16 Apr 2016, 18:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Fri 15 Apr 2016, 02:56

westgl wrote:
Going to a car tire help make the ride more comfortable
I put in about 2 - 4 ounces of ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) in the gas tank as it cleans as good as seafoam. BUT  ATF also LUBES as it cleans like the fuel pump injectors valves rings pistons the engine vibes really smooth out the vibes you normally feel through the bars grips seat floor boards is noticeably reduced

yes, I have a few ounces of it from time to time, lubricates the throat, lines the stomach, helps digestion and works even better further down. geek geek

I am glad you put this on the forum as a personal habit and not a recommendation for others to follow. I have read a lot of good advice on this forum, but i don't think this is based on any science and I pity anyone who will replicate your fuel mixture.

Sorry mate, I honestly did not know whether to laugh or cry when I read that.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2608
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Fri 15 Apr 2016, 05:21

If you read up about adding ATF to gasoline/petrol there's differences of opinion whether it does any good or is an old wives tale, depending on who you believe. I read a few comments saying it knackers O2 sensors, not a problem on the OP's ’05 Silver Wing as it won't have one. But the '08 onwards models do and that helps improve fuel efficiency, so you might eventually lose up to 10mpg and increased fuel bills for adding that slug of ATF. Then if your exhaust is tested for emissions like ours are in the UK annual MOT Test you could get an Advisory or even a Failure.

Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2015-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Fri 15 Apr 2016, 07:11

I use a squirt of Marvel Mystery oil in my fuel which is speculated on the web to be transmission fluid and oil of clove to make it smell purty. I can see a small amount of ATF being used similarly. ATF and acetone is supposed to be a fantastic penetrating fluid so I don't see how it would clog anything, but I've never pulled an engine apart.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Fri 15 Apr 2016, 07:57

I suppose there will always be those who know better than the manufacturers of their vehicles, tires, oils and fuels, despite the billions those guys invest in research. Some believe in conspiracies and others just think they are smarter. Takes all sort to make the world spin! Myself I have found that if I follow the manufacturers instructions and use good oils and fuels, my cars and bikes/scooters have always fared well.
I certainly respect anyone's right to do with their gear as they like, but I reserve the right not to believe until I have seen proof.

( I have a friend who puts a shot of Bundaberg Rum in his fuel, because he thinks it's better than Ethanol. I think he is right; but only for drinking)
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Fri 15 Apr 2016, 10:30

I use elixir of horned toad, stewed slowly in an iron pot over an open fire while reciting incantations from the shop manual.  Only works, though, if you're dressed in black robes leathers.  Oh, and only if done when the moon is full--so you have to plan ahead if you run low.

Last edited by Bash On! on Fri 15 Apr 2016, 16:32; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Fri 15 Apr 2016, 13:46

Reminds me of a time in the 60's, when, coming home from Wales in a car I ran out of petrol,( in those days petrol stations were not open twenty four hours). I was about four miles away from home and it was two o'clock in the morning. Nearby was some road works again, in those days, they used to put paraffin lamps around the works. I poured some Paraffin into my tank, from the lamps, and it got me home. Nobody ever believes me but that is what happened. Needless to say that was a one off.Smile
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Sat 16 Apr 2016, 05:21

I use to pour ATF down the carburetor throat(s) while running the motor at a high RPM to unstuck hydrolic lifters. This was done on cars and trucks.
Back to top Go down

Disappointed in high speed hiway travel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3