Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure

Go down 
+2
oldgwingguy
Lazyfox
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lazyfox
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2015-04-07

LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure Empty
PostSubject: LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure   LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 3:56 am

As we all know well the Silverwing suspension is not, how to say gently, the best in the world. I have HyperPro front springs installed which improved handling quite a bit. But still the weight ratio front/rear is probably 30/70.
So I am considering the LeoVince muffler (http://www.leovince.com/en/catalog-honda/terminale_lv_one_omologato_evo_ii_passaggio_standard_silver_wing_600_i_e_2002_2010/14670) with claimed weight savings of 7kg ( 15.4lbs). This weight reduction would be nice especially that the muffler is placed at the very end of the bike.

Does it make sense? I would like to hear from people who have non OEM muffler installed on their Silverwings

Yes, I know that I could buy Yamaha T-Max, but I am not giving up on Silverwing yet.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure   LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 7:39 am

Only one thing to say about non OEM mufflers having ridden BEHIND a Burgman with one, get in front of it ASAP, the same for any loud bike. My previous 91 G'Wing Smile little known is one can remover the downturn tips and slide a nice looking chromed straight pipe over the OEM muffler, gives it a nice Porsche rumble which after 15 or 20 min. becomes less Porsche and more of a PITA. Remembering we have no insulating cage around us to help deaden the noise. If there's one thing the general public doesn't like about bikes is the noise. Will the non OEM muffler make that much difference in balance?
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure   LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 9:19 am

Had a Leo Vince on my Burgman 400 when I bought it - nearly drove me mad! Couldn't wait to get rid of it and go back to OEM.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure   LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 9:28 am

Perhaps the way to address the 30/70 weight bias and the and 'non gentle' suspension is to replace the rear shocks with something like Hagon's.

When I ride I want to be in the moment, not be in the noise

Tim
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure   LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 9:56 am

Who are you kidding? A weight reduction measure? HAHAHAHAHA
Did the little lady buy that excuse?
Its okay. We're family here. We can keep a secret.

Having had the leoVince 4road exhaust on my Silverwing from 2004-2012ish I can tell you that there is a baffle (doing this from memory) that can be taken out by unscrewing the two screws in the rear or the muffler. If you take this out the volume will increase noticeably. If you do not, there is little increase in the muffler volume.
You can also expect an improvement of a few HP, which is a nice bonus.

15lbs on a bike that weighs over 500lbs...probably over 700lbs with the average rider is a
weight reduction of 2%. That's important if your racing, but its not going to fix your problem.
Considering the amt of money you will spend on an exhaust, if your goal truly is weight reduction,
then as Cosmic Jumper stated, you are better off spending the money on new rear shocks.
Hagon Shocks are the GOTO shocks for Silverwing. Its a much more cost-effective purchase.

Dan

Back to top Go down
Lazyfox
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure   LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 11:51 am

dspevack wrote:
Who are you kidding? A weight reduction measure? HAHAHAHAHA
Did the little lady buy that excuse?
Its okay. We're family here. We can keep a secret.

Having had the leoVince 4road exhaust on my Silverwing from 2004-2012ish I can tell you that there is a baffle (doing this from memory) that can be taken out by unscrewing the two screws in the rear or the muffler. If you take this out the volume will increase noticeably. If you do not, there is little increase in the muffler volume.
You can also expect an improvement of a few HP, which is a nice bonus.

15lbs on a bike that weighs over 500lbs...probably over 700lbs with the average rider is a
weight reduction of 2%. That's important if your racing, but its not going to fix your problem.
Considering the amt of money you will spend on an exhaust, if your goal truly is weight reduction,
then as Cosmic Jumper stated, you are better off spending the money on new rear shocks.
Hagon Shocks are the GOTO shocks for Silverwing. Its a much more cost-effective purchase.

Dan

It is not much, but located at the "wrong" end of the bike (of course it has to be there).

Hagon website does not show any shocks for Silverwing any more unfortunately.

Did you have a chance to use them?
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure   LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Me personally I did not have need for the Hagon Shocks.
Hagon does a lot of custom work.
They have the Silverwing specs.
Even if its not on their website anymore, which may simply be a function of website space, and lack of popularity anymore, email them and ask.
I bet they are still available.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Tone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tone

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure   LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 2:31 pm

Hagon shocks for Silverwing on UK E-Bay £80.00 plus postage (not new but hardly used).
Back to top Go down
Lazyfox
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure   LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 1:18 am

Tone wrote:
Hagon shocks for Silverwing on UK E-Bay £80.00 plus postage (not new but hardly used).

Thanks. This seller doesn't offer international postage, but there are new Hagon shocks for sale as well.

Are Hagons  that much better than OEM?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure   LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LeoVince muffler as a weight reduction meassure
Page 1 of 1