Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Crash Protectors

Go down 
+10
"Hi Yo"
model28a
cerve137
Meldrew
MikeO
Graham G
DanB
dspevack
Cosmic_Jumper
jd70
14 posters
AuthorMessage
jd70
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jd70

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-09-02

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 11:20 am

I had Crash Bungs on my Deauville. Are there any instead of Crash bars for Silver-Wing 600
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 12:36 pm

Other than your knee caps, hips & elbows no.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 2:57 pm

The only protection that you can reasonably get, are rub rails.
This will protect the bike when you are maneuvering at little or no speed in a parking lot and misjudge weight shift and end up going over.  Happens to all of us.

You can purchase half round adhesive rubber rub rails and put them along the protruding edges of the bike.  It will save you from the scuffs you get in the above type accidents.

Here are some examples from my photo album on this site.  Link to my entire album is in my sig.

Crash Protectors Rubrai10
Back to top Go down

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 5:59 pm

dspevack wrote:
This will protect the bike when you are maneuvering at little or no speed in a parking lot and misjudge weight shift and end up going over.  Happens to all of us.

It never happened to me! Except those three times....

Last edited by DuggleBogey on Wed May 27, 2015 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jd70
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jd70

Number of posts : 24

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 3:27 am

Thanks all for your help
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 6:42 am

First scratch; OMG, I can't believe I did that
Second scratch; I hate it when this happens
3rd scratch; O gee, here we go again
4th scratch; Better dismount and call it a day
Back to top Go down
Graham G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-07-05

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 4:34 am

Hi,i know next to nothing about Silver Wings(or anything else for that matter)but i have recently seen pics of a SilverWing or two,with chrome bars,that looked like they might be supposed to be Protectors,if the O.P.is interested i'll look them up & TRY & attach them.
Cheers,Graham.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 5:44 am

They were made by Fehling's, in Germany, but are no longer listed - the ones for the new 600 are, though.

They are not really man enough to be crash-bars: more anti-scratch and bling!

Latterly, the chrome-plating was rather inferior and the bars tended to rust round the joints - I had the front mudguard one on my X9 and had to protect the joints with Vaseline.

Back to top Go down
Graham G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 6:20 am

See,i told you i knew next to nothing(just ask my wife).
But i do know we're going to test ride a used Silverwing 600,in the next few days Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 7:40 am

Then it's a bit premature to be asking about expensive imported Utopia back rests for the Silver Wing on another topic until you've bought one and put some miles in to see if fitting one is absolutely necessary. Another old boy on the Muppets briefly rode a Silver Wing and didn't get one as his wife found riding pillion 'too buzzy'. As they say "Happy wife, happy life!"  Smile
Back to top Go down
Graham G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Utopia Backrest ?   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 9:48 am

Meldrew wrote:
Then it's a bit premature to be asking about expensive imported Utopia back rests for the Silver Wing on another topic until you've bought one and put some miles in to see if fitting one is absolutely necessary. Another old boy on the Muppets briefly rode a Silver Wing and didn't get one as his wife found riding pillion 'too buzzy'. As they say "Happy wife, happy life!"  Smile

Hi,i'm not sure if this is directed at me,i know i'm old & can't remember much,but i don't remember asking about backrests & if i had it would be Passenger Backrests,but i still don't remember Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 11:10 am

That was my mistake mate, one of my senior moments... "Have I had me tea yet?" scratch
Back to top Go down
cerve137
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 6:30 pm

Twisted throttle.com has some crash protection for SW floorboards. The company is R&G.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 4:22 pm

cerve137 wrote:
Twisted throttle.com has some crash protection for SW floorboards. The company is R&G.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/r-g-racing-footboard-sliders-for-honda-silverwing-600-08-13

Nice looking piece of kit, but at $167.50 they'll still leave the upper side part of the front most vulnerable.

Tim
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 7:02 pm

I don't think they would save $167 damage if you went down. I wouldn't pay $67 for them much less $167. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Crash Protectors 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 7:50 pm

model28a wrote:
I don't think they would save $167 damage if you went down. I wouldn't pay $67 for them much less $167.  Rolling Eyes  

But those R & G decals look so cool. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 7:11 pm

jd70 wrote:
I had Crash Bungs on my Deauville. Are there any instead of Crash bars for Silver-Wing 600

I've managed to drop my GL1500 and GL1800 a few times, usually to the crashbars but a few times they went all the way down. I will admit that the most embarrassing occurance was when I pulled up to a convenience store and stepped off my bike. Unfortunately I'd failed to put the kick stand down.
Once with my wife on the pillion I pulled into a fast food joint where there were a few other riders standing around. I put my foot down in a patch of grease and down we went. I merely stepped off the bike, walked toward the entry door of the store and remarked in passing the others standing around that my kickstand was in the shop for repairs so I had to park that way.

So far I have had four different maxis, two SWs, a B650 and my current C650GT and haven't dropped any of them. I guess the practice with a 900lb. bike helped.

There are two kinds of bike riders, those who have dropped their bikes and those who lie about it.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2018-06-30

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2018 1:53 pm

I see that this is an old post.  But love the final phrase of exavid's statment, "those who lie about it."

My funniest drop was a very slow lay it down on its side maneuver.  Was leaving parking lot where I practice and wanted to work on my new skill of making a tight full lock turn onto the main road.   Well, I didn't observe the new stopping point for pulling out.  It was as a pretty good angle to the right, along with a rather large pile of sand where I put my foot down.

My foot slid and kept sliding.  I had a good grip on brakes but that didn't help, duh and wishful thinking!   I'm said, "no, no, no, no," as my foot lost  traction over and over until step off and put it down.   

A very nice gentleman stopped just as I let go of the bike.  He was kind enough to help me pick it back up.  I mentioned how embarassing this was and he promised that he wouldn't tell anyone.  So, did I drop my bike? I think I'll stick with a lie on this one Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2018 9:40 pm

Thank God I have a trike. But if it ever goes over it will most likely be history for the bike.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 6:54 am

Fact: SilverWing is easy to "dump" at slow speeds---and usally hurts plastic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Crash Protectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash Protectors   Crash Protectors I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crash Protectors
Page 1 of 1