Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Do you scoot in the rain?

Go down 
+39
Mike from NS
SCTLVR
kbcmdba
Daboo
ScottO
woodworker
wis-rider
DerrillW
trouble1100
lalee
bandito2
Old Limey
LN
Meldrew
Dramhunter
john grinsel
cotetoi
"Hi Yo"
GHM-PM
Winger61
midlandchip
Hammy
mitch
GaryL
Chinasaur
crahar
Biologist
The Scootist
rmh067
Dice01
DickO
dickie
exavid
jdeereanton
MikeO
Waspie
Cornishman
honda_silver
tankyuong
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 10:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

My bike is black and is a pain to keep clean after riding in the rain,plus it's more dangerous, also rain gear.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

PostSubject: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 9:07 pm

Only if it rains when I scoot
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2010-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 4:24 pm

Nope, no scooting in the rain!
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 am

DerrillW wrote:
Only if it rains when I scoot

Sounds about right.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 9:37 am

Me too derrill W  small moped
Back to top Go down
ScottO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ScottO

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 11:30 pm

As a novice rider with 800 miles on my Swing plus a few hundred on my 150 living in the rainy Pacific Northwest I had decided that I need to learn to scoot in the rain or not ride for 9 months of the year. This afternoons commute was the first ride in rain that wasn't just sprinkles. I paid attention to what I was doing and just remembered what I have learned from all your shared experiences. Just want to thank all you for this.
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 4:20 am

Were riding in the rain were riding in the rain ,what a glorious feeling were wet again .But were happy again cos were scooting in the rain ha .Fact of life we get wet guess that's why skin waterproof ride safe .  Smile   small moped
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 3:33 pm

In Seattle, if you don't ride in rain...you don't ride.

I like riding in rain. The crazy motorcyclists leave their bikes at home in the garage.

Chris
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 7:04 pm

Not at all, many, many miles in the rain on my Goldwing. Comfortable miles at that.
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 2:25 am

I commute so sometimes, I ride in the rain or I am stuck waiting it out. Riding in the rain should be avoided in my case when it just started raining (because water pushes oil up our of the roadway) or when I see standing water. That's one of my no-go conditions. The others are ice on the ground, lightning in the air, high winds or excessively obscured visibility (fog, smog). I don't feel comfortable riding below 10 degrees F but it's not a no-go. 0F is probably a no-go, however. A cab ride or rental car are a bunch cheaper than having to pay for repairs from dropping a bike let alone the medical bills likely to go with the fall.

KB
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 4:45 am

I think many people do not like to ride in rain because they lack proper gear....for me ride in rain requires proper professional quality jacket/pants, non flapping bright color! Rubber boots, even on scooter, either waterproof mitts or gloves and then please look over windshield so you can see where you are going. When I had to commute, below 40 Degrees F and Dark/wet I would wait until light outside....like to read road surface.

For me my present Darien (Aerostich) pants and jacket are at least 8-10 hours waterproof----old fashioned Wax Cotton (Barbour) worked for at least 8 hours in heavy rain.

I am not a real fan of electric jackets/liners-----have one stop working on trip, when that is all you have along to keep warm......mind changes. My jacket liner stopped working near Monterey MX and I almost froze-----caused expensive motel/hotel stay.----I do have electric Bib(Aerostich) works well with Burgman 400 as bike as standard cigar lighter plug in---something US model SilverWing does not and the Bib does feel good on wet days after a little water has run down your neck!! Day to Day not very handy as you are bound to bike with wires!!

Like rubber overboots--they not only keep you feet dry but add a layer of insulation/warmth. They can go on easy with a little Lemon Pledge sprayed inside.

One place for good Rain Gear in US is your local Harley dealer---stuff not cheap, but works.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 12:15 pm

John, I still use plastic bags like the ones we get our stuff in from Wal-Mart or grocery stores. Slide them over your shoes or boots and your rubber boots slip on with minimal effort. In a pinch I have used bread bags over my gloves to stop rain and it also stops some of the wind chill. Warning though, the ink will bleed off on your gloves and it is a bit clumsy using controls. And remember the days when we would resort to newspapers under our jackets or shirts to fight the chill? Nothing beats the proper riding gear but sometimes we get stuck out on the road without it.
Take care and keep those miles safe.
God Bless, Dick
Back to top Go down
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 7:01 pm

Only if caught out in it.  That's never happened, thankfully.  I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and had so many good racing days crushed by rain that I simply hate it.
Here in CA we are looking at draught conditions this year and we could use rain, but it's given us nearly perfect scooting conditions.  Three days of rain this fall/winter so far.
No rain!
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 7:09 pm

I probably won't haed out in a pouring rain, but if I am caught in the rain I won't be too bothered. My gear is in the trunk and I have new tyres. Our riding season is too short to wait for sunny weather every time I want to ride.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 8:06 pm

Fair weather rider here ... If rain is promised or looks like it ...no scooting for me. Not enough experience on the dry ground yet so not going to take on the wet ground.
Mike
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 11:14 pm

I don't prefer riding in the rain but if I get caught in it while riding there's not much I can do about it.
My wife and I took two trips to Pensacola, FL from MN on my motorcycles (1974 Honda CB750 first trip and 1980 Yamaha 850 Special second trip) and got caught in the rain both trips. But back then we were young enough to not really care about it unless it came down real hard. On the way home one of these trips it was so HOT that we didn't even stop to put on our rain gear. The highway turned into two ribbons of steam when the rain hit.
Now that I'm OLD I pick and choose my trips as best as I can and watch the weather a bit more. I'm no longer a cold weather rider either. These old bones just don't like it anymore.
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 12:16 am

I avoid riding in the rain unless caught out in it. Not because I am afraid of getting wet,as I carry wet weather gear, but because of the (suburban) roads becoming like ice rinks when wet. Particularly those white road markings and the accumulation of eng/gearbox,coolant drops at traffic light intersections. Plus, most drivers do not drive to suit conditions i.e slow down when appropriate and/or do not increase safe braking distance between vehicles. Country riding does not pose quite the same level of risks.
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 5:51 am

Forgot to ask. Can anyone recommend a rain repellant for plastic w/screens/visors that actually works?
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 8:41 am

ericclapham wrote:
Forgot to ask. Can anyone recommend a rain repellant for plastic w/screens/visors that actually works?
 frustrated  If you go to the search box and type in "rain repellent", your question will probably get answered without wandering off main topic. Or start a new thread, so any new products can be discussed.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 9:00 am

ericclapham wrote:

On the Clearview website they say I can use regular Rain-X. I put it on with an old T-Shirt that I cut up for a rag. Just make sure you put it on with care so as not to scratch the plastic. I use it on my pickup and love it.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 9:15 am

Without wandering off the main topic... Yes it's all part of the game in the UK. Why is riding in the rain such a big deal to US riders who only have mainly a six month riding season anyway? If you have suitable rain gear to wear then wet weather riding isn't really a problem.

I find the only hassles are occasional visor and spectacles misting problems, and washing and cleaning the inevitable mud and road crud off the scooter afterwards.

With decent rain gear, an Airflow screen, lower wind deflectors, and a mist free visor you can ride comfortably in the rain for hours.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks Dale. I'll give it a go. As for being flagged for a thread hijack ,to be fair, I do think that the question about repellEnt was quite relevAnt given the topic.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 2:38 pm

ericclapham, I believe the problem would be if a search was made for rain repellent it would be much easier to find if a new topic was started with the title "rain repellent". Yes both subjects go together but one probably wouldn't search for "do you scoot in the rain" to find out about rain repellent. I could be mistaken though.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 8:54 pm

ericclapham wrote:
    As for being flagged for a thread hijack ,to be fair, I do think that the question about repellEnt was quite relevAnt given the topic.
  I'm sorry if I offended you. I think Roger better stated the reasons for staying on the original topic.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 9:10 pm

Here in Hawaii it rains a lot. I do get caught a lot of times by rain and just continue with a lot more caution. I monitor the weather before going on the road. Some times I may wait up to an hour for the clouds to pass before I leave my work place. I slow down a lot when cornering on wet roads. I have this feeling that the bike is going to slide sideways from under me. Dry roads are no problem. I lean heavily while counter balancing. I wish that my bike had ABS brakes. Surely the next one will.
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 10:14 pm

Point taken. No biggie Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you scoot in the rain?   Do you scoot in the rain? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you scoot in the rain?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2