Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silver Wing Questions

Go down 
+7
oldgwingguy
hotwings
glencoeman
john grinsel
model28a
dspevack
SteveSilverWing
11 posters
AuthorMessage
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

Silver Wing Questions Empty
PostSubject: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi all,

Steve here -- the guy with the new 2013 Silver Wing ABS.  I've come across a few issues that I'm hoping you might have answers to.  Here they are:

1)  Scooter won't always start consistently.  I had read in the owner manual a slightly complicated few steps to do before trying to start it again.  If it doesn't start right away, wait 10 seconds for the battery to recharge,  then try again while on the center stand.  It usually does start on the center stand without any problem, but yesterday it did not.  I've sometimes been successful in starting it with no stand (side or center) at all, as long as the parking brake is engaged, but this usually does not work.  Why is it so inconsistent in starting.  95% of the time, it starts without issue on the center stand -- 50% with no stand and the parking brake on.

2)  Is it necessary to have a 300-mile check-up from the dealer where I had bought it?  I know that there is a 600-mile servicing that is due, and that is not problem.  The 300-mile check-up is my question.  Is it necessary?  
    Note: The dealer sold the bike to me with the rear shocks set differently -- left was set to position 1, the right set to position 2.  This caused me to doubt somewhat whether they knew what they were doing, or just as bad, didn't give a damn.  It could just have been a simple innocent oversight, but I wonder.

3)  The ABS light comes on when I first start the bike, then goes off once it warms up, or after a few seconds (can't remember which).  Is this normal?  Is it a case of the ABS light only coming on when you are heavily applying the brakes thereby using the feature?
    There again, from the note in question 2, I'm not sure if I trust the dealer and wonder if I even want them to touch the bike.

I can't imagine there is too much wrong with the bike overall since it only had 3 miles on the odometer when I rode it off the lot.

Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance you can offer!

Steve
Los Angeles
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Forgot to mention... I love riding the bike!!!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 6:56 pm

1. Be sure to pull the left break lever in tight when you start.
2. 300 not required. Not unusual to check on making sure all connections are tight after a few hundred miles but if the bike was put together properly should not be a problem.
3. As you suspected ABS goes off soon after you warm up or start moving.
Not a concern unless it stays on more than 30 seconds after you've started moving.

A common problem newbies have is not closing the seat completely.
The little light in the under seat compartment then stays on and drains the battery without you
knowing about it. To avoid this problem before it becomes one, either remove the bulb and keep a flashlight handy, or change the light fixture to one with its own switch (about $30 plug and play).
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 7:02 pm

Steve when you start your scooter, make sure the sidestand is up and the kill switch is set to run, turn the key on, wait until the computer finishes it's startup check,(watch the gages and lights you'll see when everything is done), pull left rear brake handle hard. Now you should be able to push the start switch and your scooter should start.
The ABS light will stay on until you are moving between 5-8 mph.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 7:06 pm

Thank you, Dan and Model28a!  That was very helpful and puts my mind at ease.  

Not sure what I'll do about the 300-mile check-up.  It's only at 189 miles right now.  I'll probably take it in and see what they say.  Problem is...they are about 60 miles away through awful Los Angeles traffic.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 7:09 pm

take it to selling dealer,they have some obligation to see that it works right.

Fuel injection on SilverWing, requires no touching of throttle to start

My experience with 2 new SilverWings-----dealers in US have little experience with bike and may screw up things----learn to do stuff yourself.

ABS lite comes on each time engine is started---30-50 feet of riding it goes off--if system is working right.
Back to top Go down
glencoeman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 3:52 am

The ABS light goes off when you first reach 6mph.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 6:40 am

SteveSilverWing wrote:
Hi all,

Steve here -- the guy with the new 2013 Silver Wing ABS.  I've come across a few issues that I'm hoping you might have answers to.  Here they are:

1)  Scooter won't always start consistently.  I had read in the owner manual a slightly complicated few steps to do before trying to start it again.  If it doesn't start right away, wait 10 seconds for the battery to recharge,  then try again while on the center stand.  It usually does start on the center stand without any problem, but yesterday it did not.  I've sometimes been successful in starting it with no stand (side or center) at all, as long as the parking brake is engaged, but this usually does not work.  Why is it so inconsistent in starting.  95% of the time, it starts without issue on the center stand -- 50% with no stand and the parking brake on

Steve
Los Angeles
Not sure what you mean by engine not starting!
1) If the engine is turning over but not starting i think you have a deeper issue. Dealer time.
2) If the engine is not turning over at all then I would think its just a safety switch left open i.e. Side stand down or not pulling the left brake lever HARD enough- you should hear two clicks from the lever switches before the engine will turn.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 7:53 am

Recheck battery connections, and maybe a load test would be in order.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 8:24 am

My dealer told me that 600 mile checkup was the first to do.  No mention of a 300.  Probably just a dealer wanting a bit more money from you!

To be real, at 600, I changed my oil and filter and just eyeballed everything and called it good.  My dealer is 50+ miles away so he does not see the scoot unless it is something I do not want (or can't) do.  Keep receipts so as to keep your warranty covered and go at it!

Refer to the pictorial section here on the forum, it is invaluable!!!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 9:41 am

When I start my 08 SWing I lift the side stand, turn on the key, wait for the dash to read mileage etc., pull the left brake lever hard then hit the starter. I've only had two times where the SWing wouldn't start. One was from not waiting for the dash to "boot up". The other was from not holding the left brake lever in tight enough. Other than that I have never had any problems with it starting.

My ABS light goes out in about 2 or 3 seconds as well as the "V" light before I start riding.

I also spray a little WD-40 on the side stand hinge about once a month or so just to make sure it's free moving and goes up all the way easily. I put it on the center stand and spray the hinge area then get on the bike and work the side stand up and down a few times. I also listen to whether or not it goes up nice and free. I can hear it sort of snap up then I know it's working freely.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 2:47 pm

You guys were right about not squeezing the left brake HARD.  Once I did that, it started (engine turned over) immediately.  I guess I was being a little soft on it.  Thanks, HotWings.

The ABS light does operate normally in that it goes off a few seconds after both the "V" and "ABS" lights go off.

I've taken note about the light under the seat, and so far and will be sure to close the seat compartment adequately.  Very good to know, though.

I am one to baby my bike, so just like when I had a car, I'll be making regular oil changes and other maintenance tasks like clockwork.  Until I get to know the bike better, I'll be asking questions of you guys, and I really appreciate your prompt responses.  The time will come soon enough when I'll be able to return the favor and help other new owners with their questions.

****!  I've had a cold for the past week.  Riding home with the new bike in the pouring rain last Saturday didn't help any either. pale  I've been a little reluctant to ride because of how I feel (tired and nasal-y), but today I will head out onto the road.  It's a beautiful day here in Southern California and I just can't stay away from riding any longer.

Thanks all!

Steve
Los Angeles
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 5:11 pm

I find it odd that some of you say your ABS light turns off before you start moving. Shocked
As I said above the ABS light is not supposed to turn off until you are moving between 5-8 mph.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 6:35 pm

I've owned three bikes with ABS all of them need to be moving for the ABS brake system to self check. Without the wheels moving there's no input from the two wheel sensors to tell the ABS that things are okay. Sometimes you can cause the ABS to activate once or twice in a very sharp U-turn there was enough difference in the front and rear wheel track to cause the ABS to cut in. In a real sharp handlebar to the stop using the rear brake to control speed and just a enough power on the throttle to keep the clutch engaged the sensors send slightly different frequencies to the ABS which thinks one wheel much be slipping. In my case because I had a bit of rear brake on to control the bike speed in the turn I could feel the buzz in the hand lever. The three bikes I've had with the system was one Silverwing and my current two a BMW C650 scooter and a BMW K1100LT. All work similarly. I for one won't have another bike without ABS. It works amazingly well I had a deer jump out in front of me last year going down hill on a gravel road. I didn't have time to do more than grab two handfuls of brakes and to my amazement the bike stayed steady and I could even steer on that loose gravel without going down. Missed the deer. I know well that I couldn't have done that with any of my past bikes that didn't have ABS.
There's a lot of riders who'll tell you they can brake better than an ABS system. Yeah, sure.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 6:32 am

SteveSilverWing wrote:
You guys were right about not squeezing the left brake HARD.  

Steve
Los Angeles
I think this is the greatest unknown and common non starting issue! When i got my new to me shiny black swing i rode it home and put it in the garage just to gaze upon it. After a while of petting it i decided to start it up just to hear it run. Sat on it, pulled the left lever, hit the starter button- nothing!!! Retried everything, wiggled and jiggled everything, switched everything, still nothing!!! Called the previous owner- he was baffled, said to get it to the dealer and he would foot the bill. Soooo as i sat there pondering how to get the bike to the dealer, i googled the problem and was directed to this site.......and the rest is history.
Back to top Go down
Lazyfox
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2015-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 7:02 am

SteveSilverWing wrote:
You guys were right about not squeezing the left brake HARD.  Once I did that, it started (engine turned over) immediately.  I guess I was being a little soft on it.  Thanks, HotWings.

There are two micro switches - you can hear them actually. So it means not necessary very hard, but to the point when both switches are on. The same system is also on my Honda SH300i
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 2:14 pm

Most bikes I've seen with CVT transmissions use a brake interlock. On a motorcycle you can start the bike out of gear in neutral, on a scooter there is no neutral so it's always in gear. The brake interlock prevents one from starting the bike with too much throttle that might cause it to lurch forward. Holding the brake means that can't happen.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 5:52 pm

model28a wrote:
I find it odd that some of you say your ABS light turns off before you start moving. Shocked
As I said above the ABS light is not supposed to turn off until you are moving between 5-8 mph.

Roger, you are right about the ABS light only going off after moving 5-8 mph. Since my bike is so new, I hadn't noticed that finer start-up detail. Now I feel much better that everything is fine with my new bike...no more issues or questions.

Thanks!
Steve
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Questions   Silver Wing Questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silver Wing Questions
Page 1 of 1