Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?

Go down 
+2
JeffR
DanB
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? Empty
PostSubject: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 4:37 pm

Dennis, are you still making a trailer hitch for the SW?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 4:44 pm

Dan,

Dennis has stopped coming here for some reason. He used to be a mod, and then a member, but stopped for some reason. I wish he would come back.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 6:57 pm

DanB wrote:
Dennis, are you still making a trailer hitch for the SW?
If you're a "hands on" type guy you could make your own like I have. 
Sorry tried to figure out how to post just the link to this post but couldn't figure it out, so I copied and pasted it...........:

hotwingsI finally got around to building myself a hitch and trailer! It was a fun project. I think the hardest part was getting the correct bends on the 1" pipe for the hitch. The pipe was heavy wall (1/8")
and took a lot of elbow grease to shape. I used a hand bender to mold it and yes there was nashing of teeth! The plate steel is 1/4" for the ball mount and side mounts.
DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? Img_1611
DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? Img_1612
I wanted the trailer to sit low so i made the hitch to sit below the shock center by around 3". I replaced the original shock bolts with 1/4" longer bolts to allow for the extra thickness of the hitch mount. I also replaced the front bolt with a hardened bolt because of the sheer pressure that may come on it!

DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? Img_1613
I originally painted the hitch black but the area around the ball was easily scratched so i found this self adhesive rubber mat at walmart to solve that problem.

DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? Img_1614
The trailer was originally a Harbor Freight 4'x4' trailer. I cut and welded the pieces to the appropriate size i needed. The box came from Lowes. The trailer came in red but i painted it semi gloss black to better match the bike. The trailer came with all the lights and wiring, nothing extra was required except the Lowes cargo box. I like that the box came with a locking lid plus the ability to use an extra lock if required.

DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? Img_1615
I swapped all the trailer bulbs for led bulbs so the electrical system wouldnt be stressed.

DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? Img_1617
The bike required a 5 to 4 adapter for the trailer hook up. The adapter cost around $5 and was easy to install. I soldered the wires to the appropriate colored wires for safety's sake. Theres even a small area to pass the wire through without cutting/drilling the bike!

COSTS:
Trailer= $190
Cargo box= $75
Hitch material= $25
LED bulbs= $15
Misc.= $20

Total= $325

TRAILER SPECS:
Total width= 31" (swing mirrors are 34")
Total length= 62"
Total weight empty= 128.6 lbs
Total tongue weight= 11.8 lbs

I road tested the trailer with my wife onboard for around 400klm's and i would say it pulls without effort! The only time i could feel it behind me was when making sharp turns i.e. traffic lights, parking lots etc. We took it on a road test fully loaded with two suitcases packed with 4 days clothing and footwear, plus a roadside emergency kit, plus two extra open face helmets in case the weather turned nice (cold and raining)......It didnt so we only overnighted and returned home the next day. We gave the trailer two thumbs up! excellent for touring around.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 7:17 pm

Hey Mike,

Sa-weet build! Can you please post close up photos of the right and left side hitch mounts.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Deno070
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-12-06

PostSubject: Re: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Really nice, what's the fastest you've done pulling it? Highway speeds?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 8:18 pm

That's one nice looking trailer, kudos to a job well done Mike. hotwings you can blame Tim for giving away your real name. Razz  That's not saying I'll remember it the next time I post.
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

PostSubject: Re: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 8:39 pm

Nice job hotwings. I'm a wood guy (carpenter 45 years) and don't have any experience welding and bending pipe. But you put me on building stairs or a hip roof and I'm a pro. However, my son is a welder and can probably build me one. Any reason you chose to bend a pipe rather than cut and weld? Like I said, I know wood so forgive what may seem like a dumb question. Also, do you think that the bends in the pipe are as strong or stronger than welded joints?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 10:42 pm

model28a wrote:
That's one nice looking trailer, kudos to a job well done Mike. hotwings you can blame Tim for giving away your real name. Razz  That's not saying I'll remember it the next time I post.

Considering that Hotwings has been posting here long enough to reach Expert status, and that he has signed some of his posts with his name on occasions, I didn't feel that I was violating any confidences.

However, my apology to hotwings if I've presumed too much familiarity.

Tim
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 11:22 pm

He may have been signing his name two or three time a month and I just don't remember. The only reason I have my name at the bottom of my posts is so I can remember who I am. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 6:40 am

I don't know where the name Mike came from Question . I have never signed anything with that name-unless the spell check on this ipad did something weird to me and I didn't notice!!!?? My name is Kevin. Anyways you can call me anything Laughing, however I will probably respond better to Kevin though Laughing.
 Im on the way out the door to work now and don't have time to answer any the above questions (just had time to clear my name LaughingLaughing Laughing Laughing ). Later I can post any answers and different photos that anyone needs of the build!
                               Thanks- KEVIN
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 10:04 am

Mike...Kevin, scratch  Sheesh! Now you've really confused the collective memory of The Gray Eminences.

But anyway, your posts have been very informative and helpful to us all, and my apology to you for getting your name wrong.

Tim

Psst...it was all Roger's fault.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 8:22 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Hey Mike,

Sa-weet build! Can you please post close up photos of the right and left side hitch mounts.

Tim

Sorry Tim, tried to upload pics from my iPad but it doesn't seem to work at the moment!?! Will keep trying.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 8:39 pm

Deno070 wrote:
Really nice, what's the fastest you've done pulling it? Highway speeds?
I think the fastest i have pulled it was around 115kph while overtaking a semi on interstate 81 with my wife as pillion. Don't really feel it behind me at hwy speeds!
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 8:56 pm

DanB wrote:
Nice job hotwings. I'm a wood guy (carpenter 45 years) and don't have any experience welding and bending pipe. But you put me on building stairs or a hip roof and I'm a pro. However, my son is a welder and can probably build me one. Any reason you chose to bend a pipe rather than cut and weld? Like I said, I know wood so forgive what may seem like a dumb question. Also, do you think that the bends in the pipe are as strong or stronger than welded joints?

I decided to bend the pipe rather than cut and weld because I think it looks a little more factory made rather than my bubblegum welds trying to connect pieces of pipe. If your son is a welder i think you would be fine welding the pipe, however an uncut pipe would be stronger. I bent my pipe with a manual rebar bender at work. The bender handles are 5 feet long and I still struggled to bend it. It was hard to get the pipe to stay on the same "plane", every bend would want to change the "flatness" of the hitch. With a little effort it can be done.
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

PostSubject: Re: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 7:29 am

Thanks hotwings. Again, great job. I towed a HF Tagalong trailer with my Goldwing and had to look in the mirror to know it was there as it was so light and hardly noticed it. Not sure yet if I need the extra space but would be nice to have if needed. I've got a friend with one on her SW but never see her tow so I may make her an offer on hers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?   DennisB SW trailer hitchnl? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DennisB SW trailer hitchnl?
Page 1 of 1