Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Trying to get back on the road

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kjrman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kjrman

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Trying to get back on the road Empty
PostSubject: Trying to get back on the road   Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Hello everyone,
I've had a 2005 silver Wing for a couple of years now, has been the most enjoyable bike I've ever owned.
I'm not mechanically inclined so I have a number of questions to attempt to get the Silver Wing back on the road.
Last summer it sounded like the belt was starting to slip, mostly starting up hill from a stop and more noticeable with
my wife on the back. Later it started losing power and heating up.
I plan to take it to a dealer here in WV who has worked on it a couple of years ago, I want to have the parts in hand to expedite
the process.
Assuming new belt,
New J Costa (if I can find one)
Does a new J Costa come with the pins I see mentioned in the treads?
Any other parts you would recommend I have in hand before taking it to dealer?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advise,
Kelly
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Trying to get back on the road   Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 5:19 pm

I know it's not polite to answer a question with a question but, what is the mileage of the scooter, when was the belt last changed, have you ever de-glazed the clutch pads if so how many miles ago.
After a little more information I may feel more confident to offer some advice.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Trying to get back on the road   Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 8:18 pm

I would say----take it to. genuine Honda dealer---let them locate problem---order OEM parts and for sure new belt OEM. Maybe needs very little. My experience belts will go little more than 20,000......and if original belt, age not miles may have timed it out
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Trying to get back on the road   Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 8:34 pm

Kelly,

I had the J. Costa, and it is a great product, but I needed to replace the pins about every 9,000 miles. The pins cost about $70 with shipping and I was putting almost 9,000 miles a year on it. I would just install 24 or 26 gram Dr Pulley sliders instead of the J. Costa. Just have the dealer order the OEM belt and hold it for you for when you take your bike in, and also have them install the Dr Pulley sliders. You may also want them to replace the spark plugs as well since it is in the shop. I have a pictorial on the plugs that is very easy to do and will only take maybe 30 mins if you do it yourself.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
kjrman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kjrman

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Trying to get back on the road   Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 9:39 pm

Sorry for the delay in my response and thanks for the advice.
To answer the questions asked;
The belt was changed at 16000.
The bike has 26342 miles on it.
I've never had the clutch deglazed.
It has been a very reliable bike, I've had it approximately 8 years with fluid changes, brakes, etc...
Just to let everyone know, I bought the J Costa used, off of this site if I remember correctly, so miles
on J Costa are unknown to me.
Do the Dr. Pulley sliders compare in performance to the J Costa? Seems like I read somewhere about
a performance oriented spring as well.
Thank you all for the feedback. Hoping to get it on the road for a military reunion in late May.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Trying to get back on the road   Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 11:04 pm

Dr Pulleys work very well. I don't know if the "new improved" J.Costa model is available here, but some one more familiar than I will undoubtedly chime in. A performance-oriented torque spring wont be anywhere near as impressive as changing the variator weights will --unless you are planning on racing your scoot. Let's face it, the SW is a Touring Class scooter, not a track-day machine.

FWIW I have a NOS set of 24gm Dr Pulley Roller weights available. PM me if you are interested.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trying to get back on the road   Trying to get back on the road I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trying to get back on the road
Page 1 of 1