Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Where to buy a Givi

Go down 
+11
GHM-PM
Jim McLaren
Meldrew
model28a
voce
Chilliwing
onbmw
"Hi Yo"
john grinsel
transam86
hotwings
15 posters
AuthorMessage
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Where to buy a Givi Empty
PostSubject: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 9:34 am

Looking to buy a Givi AF214. Anyone with suggestions on where to buy one in North America. Specifically Canada would be even better! Thanks
Back to top Go down
transam86
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
transam86

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 10:25 am

i got my givi stuff from twisted throttle
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 5:28 pm

TryGIVI direct.....they are on North Carolina.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 10:17 pm

Tried Twisted Throttle but it doesnt look like they offer the AF 214. Tried Givi direct- seems like they only sell to dealers!
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 6:19 am

I googled "where to buy a Givi" and ironically was directed back to a topic posted here awhile back! Members had a few links for sites with the windshield available. Jeeretons recommended site had em for $227 with free shipping. Will order one soon. Thanks guys and gals....
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Where to buy a Givi 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 7:06 am

cheers Good to hear that search box helped. A lot of people have helped find out about different products. Thanks to all of them. cheers
Back to top Go down
onbmw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2014-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 9:56 am

Ad Accessory International and Revzilla.com to your shopping list:
http://www.accessoryinternational.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc
http://www.revzilla.com
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 8:24 pm

Ordered mine through my local Honda dealer and I noticed he ordered from the Parts Unlimited Canada catalogue.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 9:11 pm

Thanks everyone. Chilliwing i will check with the dealer before ordering from the US. Although shipping is no longer an issue for me for anything from the US. I have a US postal box just over the border from me through a company called Kinek.
Back to top Go down
voce
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
voce

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2015-04-06

PostSubject: Revzilla is awesome   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 9:25 pm

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-af214-airflow-windscreen-honda-silverwing-600-2001-2011
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 10:15 pm

Anytime I need anything Givi I email
Kiwi Dave and tell him what I want. His site is for Burgmans but he sells anything Givi makes and does not charge shipping. I didn't mention him before because he can only sell in the US but if you have a US address I guess that's the same thing.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 6:01 am

I see on most of the sites that an installation kit is available for another $15. Is this kit absolutely necessary?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 6:31 am

The Givi Airflow AF214 comes complete with it's specific installation kit, and it's simply two metal brackets and a couple of screws or bolts you fit after drilling through the plastic to find the captured nuts. All the other fasteners are from the OE screen.

It's all there in Sir JeffR's very helpful Airflow Installation pictorial eh! Smile
Back to top Go down
Jim McLaren
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 10:34 pm

model28a wrote:
Anytime I need anything Givi I email
Kiwi Dave and tell him what I want. His site is for Burgmans but he sells anything Givi makes and does not charge shipping. I didn't mention him before because he can only sell in the US but if you have a US address I guess that's the same thing.
+1

I ordered an AF 214 two weeks ago from Kiwi Dave and got it in two days.  It comes with everything you need to install it.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 5:13 pm

Finally got the green light from the missus to order the Givi AF214 from a Canadian company thru eBay. It arrived today so in about a half hour I had it installed. Didn't bother with the brackets that came with it. The instructions say the brackets are for the 214D! Took the bike for a quick ride- happy with the results. I previously had the 214D that worked nicely as well at reducing the buffeting. I do like the look of the new AF214, seems to give the bike an updated modern look. The Givi is better than those cheap Kappa knockoffs  Razz .

The Givi AF214 measures from the keyhole:
Lowest setting 20 1/2"
Highest setting 24"

The Givi 214D is 26" high
Both screens are 23" wide
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 7:45 pm

Hotwings thank you for the specifications and your initial review of the AF214.
The Givi is better than the Kappa if you were advertising your scooter for sale. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 4:57 am

model28a wrote:
The Givi is better than the Kappa if you were advertising your scooter for sale. Rolling Eyes Laughing

How do you work that out? Until it was mentioned in a recent topic I'm sure the majority of forum members had no idea of the tie up between Givi and Kappa, or there was a Kappa branded version of the Givi Airflow available.

As for new buyers of used Silver Wings what would they know? Some have no idea how of the starting procedure for a maxi scooter and others don't know how to put the Silver Wing on it's main stand, so they're hardly going to be savvy about the advantages of the Airflow over that useless OE Honda screen in the first place. They won't be any wiser if an Airflow is branded Givi or Kappa.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 6:32 am

Meldrew wrote:
model28a wrote:

How do you work that out?

......by simply telling the buyer its a genuine Givi and not a cheap knockoff...........pretty basic really!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 7:34 am

Kappa is the sister line of Givi, owned by the same family as Givi and very likely manufactured in the same factory in Italy alongside Givi products. You can fit Kappa luggage on the Givi Monorack and Monokey rear carriers and also Givi pannier rails, just as you can fit Kappa hard luggage to Givi racks and rails.  Spares and replacement parts are available both product lines and the only difference is Givi is more aggressively marketed than Kappa as the premium product.

So how exactly is Kappa a cheap knock off version of Givi?

In Swiss wrist watches Tudor is the sister brand to Rolex they're made by the same watchmaker, still very expensive to buy though less well known. Owning one just doesn't have the same prestige as having the more well known Rolex on your wrist.

Last edited by Meldrew on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2537
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 8:50 am

I agree with Meldrew above. Some people are just way too hung up on the brand; in this case Givi. But if they want to spend more dosh just to have the sticker say "Givi" guess that is their right!!!

Laughing
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 11:17 am

Meldrew don't you have a Givi top Box? Why didn't you go with the Kappa?... Or better yet, a Bestem that comes with brake light, mounting plate, backrest for 1/4 the cost of the Givi!
For what it's worth the comparison to the Kappa in was post above was given in humor, hence the emoticon. No trolling required......
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 1:49 pm

I've had my Givi E52 top box for about 10 years, and my Givi E55 over 4 years simply because it was the biggest and best available when I bought it. The Givi Airflow I knew about before taking delivery of my Silver Wing and joining this forum, I bought my Airflow soon afterwards but it took me a couple of months to summon up the interest to fit it (using the brackets of course). As far as I'm aware Kappa didn't have their Airflow for the Silver Wing available back in 2010.

Why would I buy a Bestem? I don't want a top box with brake lights, and I'd get shafted for Import Duty and Value Added Tax taking delivery of any bike gear bought online from the U.S.

I wasn't trolling either, being on this side of the Atlantic I'm simply more clued up on European made bike gear and equipment than you are.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 3:51 pm

I am aware of Kappa---I believe sold in POLO stores in Germany

Fan of Givi---their stuff usually fits and works-----my E46 box now has over 500,000 miles and still functions. AND Givi never falls off!. Cheap top box=go to Home Depot, buy tool box and bolt directly to rear wing.

I have spent 60 years of my life buying/using motorcycle/scooter accessories that do not fit or work in the long run
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 7:19 pm

hotwings wrote:
Meldrew wrote:
model28a wrote:

How do you work that out?

......by simply telling the buyer its a genuine Givi and not a cheap knockoff...........pretty basic really!

This is basically what I meant, If you ran an ad to sell your scooter I believe Givi would be recognized by more people in the US and Canada.
I have no idea why people want to(whatever you want to call this drabble) over a joke and joke rebuttal. As hotwings said the emoticons show that we were just jesting. Wink
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 10:26 pm

I've installed Givi windscreens on three SWs so far, two 214Ds on friends bikes and one AF214 on a SW of mine. I'd urge using the reinforcement brackets. It makes for a lot more solid mount, less flexing and chance of plastic cracking. Both Givi screens are heavier than the OEM and need a bit of stiffening in mounting. Givi didn't come out with those reinforcing brackets just to milk a few more buck out of buyers. I wouldn't install either the Airflow or Adjustable without the brackets.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 4:35 am

The Airflow is the adjustable! The instruction sheet clearly stated that the brackets were for the 214D, so I'm thinking its to reinforce due to its height and also due to the fact that it (214D) is taking the full wind pressure except for the vent in the fairing. Whereas the airflow (AF214) is smaller and getting adequate back pressure from its two piece design. That being said the 214D from the previous owner that I removed did not have the reinforcing brackets either and that windscreen was used a million times, a lot of times at extreme speeds/wind. Conclusion imho:  toss the brackets for either Laughing .

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 9:55 am

I still have the mounting instructions that came with my Airflow back in 2010 and they're also labelled as Specific Fitting Kit for 214DT Honda Silver Wing 600 '01/’03.

I used Sir Jeff's Airflow pictorial to fit my Airflow and used the brackets or 'little plates' as Givi describe them as it took very little effort to make the extra holes and fit them. The alternative being chucking them in the box with all the other junk and spare bits left over from Universal Fitting Kits etc which I have a sad tendency to hang onto. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 1:19 pm

I didn't use the brackets myself, since I'm just a rebel, but I do think that others that installed them thought it did make the shield a bit more sturdy. But "Rebel Jeff" likes to play the odds !!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 7:06 pm

I have one with and one without, I'd have to the cover off to tell you which was which. I've never noticed any difference between them. Where to buy a Givi Dontknow
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Givi Airflo   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 9:17 am

I just found a good buy from Susie @ www.sportstour.com $62.00 and $ 10.00 for shipping here in California. Great person to deal with. She even responded twice during the Super weekend.
She only had one though and is getting ready to move the business. Ready for business again around May 2016. Tel. 513-761-0936.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 11:33 am

Domain at the link seems to have expired. Was that a Givi Air Flow AF214 for $62.00?

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 1:19 pm

I've installed both the Airflow and the adjustable Givi screens on two different SWs and can tell you it does make a difference whether you use the reinforcement brackets. I first mounted my adjustable without the brackets after hearing comments on the forum that they'd done the same with good results. There was some play in the windshield, not a lot but it was noticeable. I decided to try the brackets so reinstalled the windshield with the brackets. Much more solid mount. The windshield was solidly attached to the bike's frame with the brackets.
When installing a friends Airflow on his SW I put it in without the bracket and checked the play in the windshield by rocking it fore and aft. Then I put the brackets on and repeated the check for play. With the brackets there is very little play.
Now I'm not saying that if you don't put them in your windshield will fall off and the tires will explode, but it's obvious that Givi came up with the brackets as an engineering fix. In other words, I think they had some problems and came up with those reinforcements to correct that problem. the
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 2:48 pm

As I mentioned in my earlier post,

Meldrew wrote:
I still have the mounting instructions that came with my Airflow back in 2010 and they're also labelled as Specific Fitting Kit for 214DT Honda Silver Wing 600 '01/’03.

Who knows if the same brackets are also for the AF 214 Airflow, and if you've fitted them because the installation of an Airflow is by far the most popular topic on here, do you really care what others do?

Givi instructions are notoriously vague, I fitted the Givi CY25N cycle top box to the rear carrier on my Workcycles Gr8 yesterday, the instructions have a drawing of an electric drill pointing at 4 hole sites on the base of the box. In reality the base of the box has a honeycomb grid of holes to line up with the rails on the rear rack to push 4 M6 bolts through, and after installation the grid has a cover. I then spent time filing the double slots wider on the two support brackets so the bolts would go through them. Thanks Givi! Evil or Very Mad

You can't just stick your box anywhere on the rear carrier, I thought I'll mount it forward a few inches back from the seat so my butt doesn't touch the back of the box. That doesn't work unless you're a short arse with the seat right down, as the raised seat stops the lid being fully opened. I had to compromise with 3/4 opening as I've got a hub dynamo rear right fixed to the carrier.

It works well enough though and being able to lock away my Bell cycle helmet when cycling into York is very handy.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 4:50 pm

Who knows if the same brackets are also for the AF 214 Airflow, and if you've fitted them because the installation of an Airflow is by far the most popular topic on here, do you really care what others do?

Having had both types of windshield to install with the reinforcement brackets to go with them I can say they are indeed the same. The way they install it couldn't be any other way, the holes in the SW determine the braces' size and hole locations.

As for what others do, yes, I do care because I wouldn't like to buy a bike that had the windshield mounted in a way that wasn't as strong as it should have been. Givi doesn't recommend the brackets because they want to make a few extra bucks, someone at Givi thinks they serve a purpose. For the slight extra cost why not? Just because one was too lazy to do the best possible job?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy a Givi   Where to buy a Givi I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where to buy a Givi
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Accessories & Modifications-
Jump to: