Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
windshield height I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
windshield height I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
windshield height I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
windshield height I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
windshield height I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
windshield height I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
windshield height I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
windshield height I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
windshield height I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
windshield height I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

windshield height

Go down 
+4
JeffR
buddy19520
hotwings
dsmith
8 posters
AuthorMessage
dsmith
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-09-20

windshield height Empty
PostSubject: windshield height   windshield height I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 4:18 pm

hello all
i am 6 feet tall.my question is that i am looking for a replacement wind screen that i will be able to look over the top.i don't know what the standard wind screen on my 2012 sw measures.
i don't want the adjustable.i am looking for a fixed one.
thanks
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

windshield height Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshield height   windshield height I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 4:49 pm

I think most people look for a higher wind screen that covers most of the head to stop the wind from buffeting the helmet. I'm not sure if there is a lower than stock screen available. I've seen pics of stock screens cut down and it actually looks decent. At 6' I would think you would be looking over the stock screen!
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

windshield height Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshield height   windshield height I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 5:47 pm

At 6 feet tall, with no AirHawk cushion, you could probably get good results with a Laminar Lip (I've got a small universal on mine) attached to the regular windshield.

The stock screen is a bit narrow, and your hands and arms get cold during winter, but it will deflect air over your head with a Laminar Lip.

Most of the aftermarket screens are pretty tall and would probably need cutting down.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

windshield height Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshield height   windshield height I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 6:50 pm

The standard Givi would be a bit too tall for you.  I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and I had to cut about 1 1/2" off the top.  I also felt some backpressure against the back of my head with the standard Givi.  I also had the XL Clearview with the vent, and it was great, other than the flexing.  I think they fixed the flexing part of it though.  But they sell different height screens.  There is also the Cee Bailey where you can also order different screen heights.  I have the CB on my CTX700 and it works great but i didn't try it on my SWing.

Even though you don't want the Givi AF, it is the best screen for the SWing.  I had the Laminar Lip on my Givi when I had my Majesty and it works really and I have it on my CB on my CTX700 as well.  As Phillip said, the stock screen is narrow and doesn't offer hand protection.  The Lip is about $90 so you may want to check to see how much the shorter CB and Clearview screens are.  You may not pay much more for a nice screen.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/honda/silverwingws.html (only $100)

http://www.7jurock.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=282 (from $100 to $140)

Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
dsmith
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

windshield height Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshield height   windshield height I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 9:25 am

tanks to all.
i think i will try the cee baily
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

windshield height Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshield height   windshield height I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 11:20 am

Having myself wasted lots of money on maxiscooter windhields trying to overcome the head buffeting---on SilverWing-Givi plain/Clearview/Cee Baily----best bet is in all cases is the GIVI adjustable period----I have ridden the miles to prove it!

I believe in ALWAYS looking over shield, run my GIVI in the lowest position,, raising shield makes little difference in air moving around your head. Between 2 new SilverWings and 2 new Burgman 400's--now near 90,000 miles in all weathers/temps with the adjustable GIVI---I am satisfied, remember the basic design flaw with Maxiscooter----your nose is too far from tip of shield.
Back to top Go down
dsmith
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

windshield height Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshield height   windshield height I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 1:47 pm

thanks for the update-will do some more research
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

windshield height Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshield height   windshield height I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 2:36 pm

Clearview windscreens are kind of custom made for you. When I ordered mine they called me to ask about my height, inseam length and whether I normally rode with a passenger. All that information factored into the height to the screen they sent me. Check their site. They have an 800 #.

Be forewarned though that any aftermarket windscreen will be like adding a barn door to the front of your bike and will eat in to your fuel mileage.

Tim
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

windshield height Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshield height   windshield height I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 5:40 pm

I didn't know they made them custom but just tried to use someones measurements to chose the screen. Do they cut them down as well do you know?
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

windshield height Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshield height   windshield height I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 6:17 pm

Sorry Jeff, I really don't know te answer to that. When I received my Clearview, and after trying it for a few days, I felt that it was a bit too tall. The top of the screen was bisecting my line of sight. I called them about it and, while Craig, the owner, tried to coax me into cutting it down myself, he did take the screen back and exchange it though without any problem. Excellent customer service. Of course I paid the return shipping on that exchange though.

If you check the Clearview site they do state that they make custom windscreens. So maybe when they are asking for your measurements all they are really trying to do is to determine which off-the-shelf screen will best work with your torso height.

Tim
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

windshield height Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshield height   windshield height I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 8:10 pm

I concur with the Givi adjustable windshield. I didn't notice any drop in mileage after I installed one on my '07 SW. As far as cutting down a windshield, it's really pretty easy. I've cut down three different make windshields on Goldwings, one of them was a brand new Cee Bailey. It needed two inches cut off the top. I used a saber saw at low speed with a fine tooth blade to make the cut then a file and finally fine sandpaper to smooth and polish the edge. When finished it looked like it had never been touched.
One thing I did was to cover both sides of the windshield with masking paper in any area that the saber saw would touch to prevent scratches. Slow speed and light pressure prevents melting the plastic behind the blade or binding and cracking. One needs to keep the saw in contact with the windshield and prevent the plastic from vibrating. The thicker windshields like Cee Bailey aren't as likely to vibrate but the thinner ones can stick to the blade and vibrate up and down causing a crack.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

windshield height Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshield height   windshield height I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 12:28 am

dsmith I know you said you didn't want the adjustable so I wasn't going to comment. But because so many others have suggested it, and you said you would do some more research, it sounds like you haven't completely ruled it out yet. I will chime in with another vote for the Givi adjustable. I have bought adjustable things before that after I got them I realized that after I set them where I liked I never moved them again. I'll say that the Givi adjustable has not been like that for me. When it's cold or raining I like to put it all the way up for more protection but when it's hot(a lot here in Florida) I put it as low as it will go for more of a breeze. Then if I have to get on the freeways(which I hate, so not often)I can adjust it to about the middle to reduce the buffeting. I know it can cost more than some windshields but in my opinion it's well worth it's cost.
Do you have any friends with a Givi adjustable that would let you take a short test ride to see if you liked it? That would help you get an idea if it would be good for your riding habits.
Good luck with your decision, I hope that whatever one you buy it's the one that you'll be happy with and not have to buy another one.
Back to top Go down
dsmith
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

windshield height Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshield height   windshield height I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 2:40 pm

thanks for your input. i think i will bite the bullet and buy the givi adjustable.
again thanks to all for your input
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

windshield height Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshield height   windshield height I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

windshield height
Page 1 of 1