Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Trips----few seem to be taking them

Go down 
+9
Porkie
Skipwil
sctr199
GHM-PM
RickV
JeffR
Cosmic_Jumper
Dale N.
john grinsel
13 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Trips----few seem to be taking them Empty
PostSubject: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 1:14 pm

Trips on SilverWing are/can be fun. Many got stuff planned for coming year?

Way it looks now late Jan or Feb I will ride to Key West, again, using scooter or maybe my TU250 Suzuki (it has its good points and is cheaper than SilverWing to run or fix)

When snow goes away I want to ride to the eastern Canadian Provences I have not ridden in/to.

This year try to stay out of motels----new dog allows me to sleep in areas/places I might never try alone. He is alarm system.

In the Helix days I went to Scooter Rally in MO every year, but recent times rode there and found too many trailer bikers for my liking---left immediately. My take.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 2:19 pm

While I don't have any LONG trips planned for this coming summer, I have joined a couple of motorcycle clubs who like to ride. One is Central Minnesota Motorcycle Riders Group (CMMRG). The other is the Dry Riders Club. And their premise is like the name says, Dry Riders. We don't drink at least 24 hours before a ride which is to my liking. Although, they do know where just about every Dairy Queen is in the 5 state area. Laughing

I learned my lesson many years ago and don't even look at any alcohol when I'm driving or riding. It's a lot cheaper and hurts less. I am working on a few sight seeing trips around the area for this summer. Some one day rides and some overnighters. They are still in the planning stages now but I do have time to figure them out.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 4:26 pm

Mr Grinsel, I agree that trailering a bike or scoot to an event is pretty duplicitous. But I'm sure that the Ozark's rally doesn't hold a candle to the percentage of poseurs trailering their Harley's to Sturgis or Daytona.

Dale, I don't know how far you are located from Minneapolis/St Paul, but the Minn-Max scooter folks thereabouts are a great and very active bunch. Seems like they've always got something planned or in the works. Their forum is on Yahoo.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 6:21 pm

Cosmic_Jumper I live in Princeton, MN which is about one hour north of the Cities. I'll have to check out this group. It's a lot more fun riding with a group.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 6:44 pm

Dale,

Here is the link:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Minn-Max/info

Make sure you wear your 'winter speedo" for your first ride or they may make fun of you. lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 8:01 pm

Dale,

Please check us out - you would be welcome - we are having a pizza get together on Jan 24th.

Last year we had one fellow from the St. Cloud area drive down on his Vespa for 3 or 4 rides.

One suggestion - leave the speedo at home! Razz

By the way, we are planning a 3 day overnight ride this summer.

Rick V
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 9:23 pm

RickV,

Do you know if the rally is still being held in Iron Mountain, MN? I used to read about that all the time on the www.allsuperscooters.com site but it seems people aren't going to that site much anymore. I know Bob, the owner of the site, is from Chicago but most people it seems that are active at times are from MN. I have read that the people who have attended that rally always had a great time.

Dale,

If they are still doing that ride you should look into that ride as well.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 9:56 pm

JeffR/Dale,

Minn-Max attended the IRSSR 4 in 2010 which was held out of Virginia, MN - this was organized by Iron Ranger. I believe Iron Ranger stepped down as the ride organizer and the last activity I heard about was a group trying to meet up in 2013 for an informal ride organized on the site.

Hope this helps.

Rick V
Minn-Max member
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 7:32 am

I have a tentative ride scheduled with a Goldwing group to Death Valley, CA in February. Should be neat but will probably take the Goldwing (duh). In 2012 I took a solo trip to Yosemite et al on the Silver Wing. Trip report recorded on here somewhere. Great trip and fun, first big solo trip and I really enjoyed the freedom of stopping when I wanted and going where I wanted etc. Planning a solo trip on the SWing for this year but not sure where at this moment! It is 28 degrees outside at the moment so bikes are safely waiting in the car port for a warmer day! Supposed to be 70 or so this week so perhaps a short ride will be in order.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 5:39 pm

For Cosmic Jumper-- Both Daytona and Sturgis are trailer biking joke-----they like to talk the talk and walk the walk......and trailered. Have even seen in Indiana, on way to Daytona, as I was riding from frigid WI---guys in their leathers and Halloween costumes-----get back in their pickups at gas stops----guess they are pretending riding.
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 6:58 pm

john grinsel wrote:
For Cosmic Jumper--  Both Daytona and Sturgis are trailer biking joke-----they like to talk the talk and walk the walk......and trailered.  Have even seen in Indiana, on way to Daytona, as I was riding from frigid WI---guys in their leathers and Halloween costumes-----get back in their pickups at gas stops----guess they are pretending riding.

There are still lots of us who ride to rallies. Have ridden to Sturgis 4x, including the last two years. Last time I went after visiting my son in Mn, 2200 miles from my home. Between 1994 and 2006 rode my Helix 7x plus 1x on my Swing, 1600 miles each way to the now defunct Scootercade in Eureka Springs.

Would stay home before trailering a bike to any rally, but if it would mean the difference between going or not for someone else, I can respect that.
Back to top Go down
Skipwil
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2014-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 7:59 pm

If all stays together I'll head to Eastern Carolina in May via No.Virginia and return thru So Carolina & Georgia - Atlanta, Chattanooga, Knoxville then Home. Another will be The Natchez Trace-Nashville to the end at the BIG River' on the 04 Swing
Back to top Go down
Porkie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Porkie

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2014-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 10:23 am

It's way to cold for me to ride my scoot's/ bike when it's 12 degrees out now and it's supposed to get colder this week!

John, has it ever occurred to you that there are lots of people that trailer their bikes and scoots to events because of their health problems--or endurance problems--or even missing limbs, service and non-service connected. Maybe the spouse wants to ride once there but can't take a long ride in severe heat or cold. There are lots of reasons for trailering. Would you deny a maybe long time rider that has acquired disabilities that limit his abilities to ride long distances to trailer to an event and enjoy maybe just short rides in the wind?

Cycle World Magazine a few years ago had an editorial about NOT JUDGING others (those that trailer) until you know the facts.

There are a lot of people your age John or even much younger that don't have your drive or health but really, your days as well as mine are numbered and hopefully we will live long enough to enjoy more riding days by trailering if need be.

Sam:)
Back to top Go down
http://www.carthageelectronics.com
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 12:41 pm

I'd say I'm judged by every biker I park my Silver Wing near, whether it's a greasy spoon bikers café, ferry terminal etc, and it's been that way since I started riding maxi scooters nearly 19 years ago when my Helix was a very rare sight on UK roads. They probably think I can't ride or handle a 'proper' geared motorcycle, (a lot of UK riders that ride scooters have Auto only licences which restricts them to twist n' go scooters and a few push button bikes).

I usually judge gangs of middle-aged blokes shoehorned into fancy humpy back race leathers on sportsbikes blasting past lines of traffic on sunny weekends as dickheads, along with 'loud pipes save lives’ wrap round black shades Harley riders, and the time warped Quadrophenia Trad scooter types. Since Ewan and Charlie went The Long Way Round, that's spawned legions of BMW GS riding clones with half the BMW and Touratech catalogues bolted to their bikes, even though most avoid going off tarmac like the plague.

Of course I JUDGE them, they all belong to a different bikers tribe to me. I've belonged to a few diffent tribes myself in my biker days, eg I used to ponce round in the uniform of BMW System helmet and colour matched Gore-Tex riding suit, waste money on Wüdo and Wunderlich accessories that no one else even noticed except the other identically dressed clones in the BMW collective.  Smile

As for trailering to rallies, if the vast majority ride long distances in crappy weather on bikes or scooters to attend, you're a bit of a fraud going there in comfort and out of the rain on four wheels whatever excuse you use to justify for doing it.   Neutral
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 2:05 pm

Jeff, I gave up on maxiscooters as it was really only a site for the Rally.

There were 52 threads on the same event - that's what caused me to throw in the towel!
Back to top Go down
Porkie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Porkie

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 3:29 pm

Wow Mildew, you seem to have no empathy for anyone unless they do what you do: cyclops

"As for trailering to rallies, if the vast majority ride long distances in crappy weather on bikes or scooters to attend, you're a bit of a fraud going there in comfort and out of the rain on four wheels whatever excuse you use to justify for doing it." affraid

What about the Amputee that wants to get there so he can enjoy the Rally or event? Rolling Eyes

I was going to ask if you were always this Grumpy but looking at your postings, I can see that you are. :lol!:

Sam Cool
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 4:30 pm

Wow Mildew! That's funny  Rolling Eyes As this forum seems to be your new toy, do a Search and see how many times that's been used in the past. Better still tell us about your Silver Wing experiences.

Did you know there's a British member on here called tarmacburner2 who has only one leg and he rides and tours on his Silver Wing and carries his crutches along.

I used to know a Dutch MZ rider back in my biking days with a paralysed left arm with modified controls on the right handlebar, he's turned up at rallies in Holland, Germany, and the UK.

We all know trailer bikers aren't really playing the game. If you want to be a rider, then ride.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 8:19 pm

Agree. Rider never appear to feel guilty about riding----but Trailer Bikers seem to be defensive about trailering.

Back to top Go down
Porkie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Porkie

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 9:58 pm

Neither one of you seem to get it do you? The village idiot can ride a bike for long distances. This doesn't make him noble or a superman. Lots of people who are disabled may not be able to do that.

Mildew, I'm on my 78th bike/scoot and although I haven't had a Silver Wing yet, I'm sure I can handle the awesome responsibility as well as you as I've had lots of Maxi-scooters and still have 2 currently.

John, I don't trailer except when I did so to get my dirt bikes to events and races.

Have a little heart ya ol' blokes:)

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2015 1:59 am

Are the tens of thousand of bikes that are air freighted or trailered to Sturgis and Daytona annually and ridden the last few miles all owned by disabled riders?

Do you really have to keep bragging about how many bikes you've had, I doubt if anyone is impressed or even vaguely interested. This is a Silver Wing forum not the 'Real Housewives of Missouri'.  Smile

Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Trips--few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2015 3:56 am

I see the new Meldrew is back to being his usual charming diplomatic persona!
Back to top Go down
Porkie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Porkie

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2015 8:52 am

Meldrew, what you somehow fail to realize in your vitriol against trailering, even for those who are disabled is this:

This, the United States is a BIG country and most of us ride further to breakfast or lunch than it is until you run into the ocean on your East and West shores. It is a LITTLE further North and South but then again, it's just a 'DAY' run for most of we hardy 'Colonist.' A long ride for you on your 'Super Wing' would just be a little ride for me and my friends.

When I lived in Southern California, every other year me and my LEO bud's would ride to the Sturgis, SD Rally, 800 miles the first day and 700 the next. The years in between, we would ride 800 miles to handle crowd control for the Four Corners Rally in Ignacio/ Durango, Colorado. The Lauglin, Nevada River run was about 260 miles away and we did that every year, plus many other charity even rides etc. We toured the West coast from Neah Bay/ Port Angeles, Washington, camped in the Redwoods and stayed on the coast all the way to inland from San Diego, CA.

In full disclosure to you, we did however trailer our bikes (3) to the Four Corner Rally one year so that my friend could drive his new Motorhome, providing a place for us to stay in a KOA campground. We used my trailer!!!!! My BAD.

The point of the educational RANT is to show you the diversity of riders and their environment.

Some folks do trailer so that their $40,000+ custom Harley (His and Hers) don't get dirty or suffer road damage making these long, hard trips in 100 degree weather, that is prevalent in the US in the summer. So what?

Enjoy your LONG 10 mile ride to the pub today and be careful on those tiny roads and watch out for your fellows riding on the wrong side of the road. No

My lunch rides are normally 300 miles round trip, through the beautiful country roads of the Ozarks.

As far as mentioning the many bikes I've had, it's done for credibility reasons so that folks like you can't try to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about because I haven't actually owned a Silver Wing,(OMG) like that would make me less worthy than your Highness affraid

I did however stay in a Holiday Inn Express recently, in California. cheers

This post is all in fun, so don't take anything wrong. It's just that I've rarely seen someone as angry and opinionated as you????

Have a great day!

Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2015 11:10 am

The level of intolerance on this board has made me intolerant of intolerance!..  catfight

I basically have retired as a MOD for personal reasons, but keep the position to backup
the others as necessary. Were I to assume the lead again here, both Meldrew and JG
would have another time-out.

JG I told you I would delete any post you made in the wrong section, and again you started
this topic in the "For Sale" section.  Last time I banned you for refusing to post in the correct
section you whined that you didn't know how.  I gave you step by step instructions.  You
still don't follow them.  That's not a mistake. That's deliberate.  This topic wound up here
in the proper section because Jeff is a nicer MOD than I am.  You should thank him.

Meldrew: Claiming that its ok to judge others because you are judged is rather like a
black man justifying his own racism because he has been a victim or racism all his life. 

You guys are no better than
*soldiers who look down on paintball players
*free mountain climbers that look down on those that climb with safety ropes
*any extremist that looks down on those that don't take things to the extreme.

No one should have to prove themselves a more hardcore biker than anyone else.
You can be proud of what you do, but putting others down because they don't meet your
level of hardcore is antisocial and divisive.

Please read this important post:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t7964-posting-behavior-please-read#79098

Thread Closed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trips----few seem to be taking them   Trips----few seem to be taking them I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trips----few seem to be taking them
Page 1 of 1