Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
New brake pads I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
New brake pads I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New brake pads I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
New brake pads I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
New brake pads I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
New brake pads I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
New brake pads I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
New brake pads I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
New brake pads I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
New brake pads I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New brake pads

Go down 
+4
glencoeman
Cosmic_Jumper
NWSSC
hussam
8 posters
AuthorMessage
hussam
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-05-07

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: New brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 4:02 pm

Hello, i just changed my rear brake pads, but this time i did install oem honda pads , i bought EBC brake pads.
My question is why my rear wheel dont rotate at low rpm,above 4 rpm it will rotate but decelarte and stop rapidly is there any problem?

My second question ,
Why my brake is like completely blocking ( its not AbS)
My previous pads was decelerating rather then blocking?
Thnx alot
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Rear brakes   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 6:20 pm

Usually a problem like this is caused by some error in installation.
Even with new brake pads the wheel should turn freely by hand.
Did you do anything (adjust the parking brake) to the parking brake?
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
hussam
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 9:29 pm

No i didnt touch the parking break , but what happen that at the shop after i install it they open the oil screw on the rear brake and they squeez the handle break trying to ejact some oil i didnt know why , in addition i tried to put a pad an iron cover the back of the pad but it doesnt fit so i installed only on one side , btw what is the function of this iron and white cartoon that putten on pads back?
Back to top Go down
hussam
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 9:35 pm

What is the function of this metal that cover the pads?
http://makinaparts.com/lang-en/honda-en/601-
06455mct692-honda-front-brake-pads-fjs-600-en.html
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 11:00 pm

The iron and cardboard as you called it are to reduce brake noise.
I suggest you purchase a over haul manual before attempting any more repairs.Howard NWSSC
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 4:35 pm

It sounds to me like the caliper pistons are stuck open. The pistons must be pushed back into the caliper so that the brake pads --both pads-- can be installed on the caliper.

If you can only fit one new pad on the caliper then something is very wrong. Either you have done something wrong or the caliper/caliper piston(s) is very much in need of repair.

Please either have a skilled professional shop repair the brakes for you and/or, as Howard said, get the Factory Service Manual before you attempt any further repairs.

Tim
Back to top Go down
hussam
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 8:32 am

Thnx for Howard and Tim
Back to top Go down
glencoeman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-08-07

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 9:15 am

I went to my Honda dealer to buy a set of parking brake pads. They supplied a pair of Goldfren pads (part no. 303). Unfortunately they are too thick to go in the caliper and ended up with EBC pads (sfa257/2) from a different dealer which fitted perfectly. Just a warning for when you buy parking brake pads. I will be having a discussion with the Honda dealer about a refund!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 6:58 pm

glencoeman I've only seen OEM parking brake pads and to my surprise they weren't much thicker than the ones I was replacing.
Back to top Go down
transam86
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
transam86

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-02-25

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 12:43 pm

I DID MY REAR PADS without the oem shiny metal plates. I did leave in the very thin other spacers and with them in my rear wheel spun but with some restiance. 3-400 miles a tad of the pads wore so it free spins now. Next time around im doing only the pads and nothing else
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 10:56 pm

How does one wear out the parking brake pads? They're not normally used when the wheel is turning. I found it impressive that the brake pads are the same as those used on the Honda Valkyrie, it they'll stop that big machine they ought to do well on the SW.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2015 1:53 am

exavid wrote:
How does one wear out the parking brake pads? They're not normally used when the wheel is turning.

Forgetting to release the parking brake will wear out the pads quickly. They don't have very thick linings compared to the normal brake pads. The best way to avoid that is make sure your parking brake is adjusted property so you can't drive away with them on.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2015 11:12 am

Having a Stupid Attack and forgetting to release the parking brake not only wears down those (thin as cardboard) pads, but also stops the odometer from accumulating mileage as long as that parking brake light is lit. DAMHIK

Yes, the same front brake pads are/can be used on the Goldwing and Valkerie, however there are two front brake rotors on those beasts and the calipers & pistons are much larger to allow greater force to be applied when braking.

Tim
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2015 12:14 pm

Using the parking brake was a learning curve .Motorcycles with manual transmission has gears to lock the mc from rolling away,but with my MP3,and my Swing ,I had to learn to rely on the parking brake from keeping my Swing from rolling,especially with a trike kit installed. No side stand makes it easy to roll off and hit things like a group of HD bikes next to you. affraid and you won't hear the end of it. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2015 12:08 am

The point is that if you properly maintain the bike the parking brake pads won't wear out. As long as you pull it on firmly it would be very difficult to move the bike thus no wear. BMW had a good idea on the 650GT, the parking brake is linked to the side stand. The bike also has the starting system disabled when that stand it done like many others but linking the parking brake to the stand works very well. I wasn't too sure about it when I first got the bike but have come to like it. You can park nose down a pretty steep slope with no chance of the bike rolling off the stand. I used to use the reverse on my Goldwing 1500 and 1800 to prevent them from rolling forward but this is even handier.
Back to top Go down
glencoeman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-08-07

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2015 4:34 am

I did not have my Silverwing from new and I think one of the previous owners had left the parking brake slightly on occasionally - probably on the first click - which would not show the brake light on the dash. I have now, when fitting the new pads, adjusted the parking brake correctly and the wheel spins freely when the brake is fully released.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New brake pads   New brake pads I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New brake pads
Page 1 of 1