Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere?

Go down 
+2
jdeereanton
gilesmdavis
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gilesmdavis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2014-09-12

How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? Empty
PostSubject: How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere?   How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 6:47 am

Hi there,

since purchasing my Silverwing of dubious heritage I've filled up about three times. Each time I have had trouble getting fuel in at any significant rate. I've tried different angles, different depths, tilting it. No matter what, I end up filling it at a crawl to prevent fuel splashing back.

I take longer to fill up than any cars at the moment. Get there in the end but it's hardly the point.

Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone else solved this problem?

Thanks

Giles
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere?   How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 7:44 am

Do the pumps in South Wales not have automatic shut-off? I did not ever have this problem on the SilverWings and have not had the problem on my GoldWing.

I will add I never tried to "top off" the tanks on the SilverWings. I stuck the nozzle in to the bottom of the basket and let 'er rip. When the pump shut off, I let the nozzle drain and removed it.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
gilesmdavis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere?   How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 7:54 am

I would have thought that would be the case but the neck of the fuel tank seems to back up almost instantly, triggering the auto shutoff.

I haven't looked up close but there seems to be a basket in the fuel neck - I'll give it a poke and see if it comes out.

Encouraging to know that it should work normally though, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere?   How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 9:35 am

There is a bar across the bottom of the fill neck tube -at least on US spec scoots. That bar prevents the fill nozzle from going going deep into the tank. It also kind of contributes to splash back if the fill stream hits the bar square on. Try angling the nozzle down or up to avoid that bar. And yes, if you want a full tank it's going to take a bit longer. While I've never timed my fill ups I do fill my tank all the way to the gas cap, wait a moment until the tank vents and the fuel level drops, then add more fuel. Often I end up doing that 'top off' procedure several times before I'm satisfied that the tank is full.

That 'top off' procedure is caused by the tiny vent line leading from the high point of the tank down to the evap cannister. It takes 'forever' for the air pocket caused by that long tank fill tube to vent out so that more fuel can be added. If the tank vent were, say 1/4" I.D. and vented up and to the atmosphere filling the tank would be much faster. HTH

Tim
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere?   How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 9:44 am

Look inside the filler hole bud, about 1 1/2" down there is a plate with a hole in, that hole is the correct size for the delivery nozzle on an EU unleaded pump, if you get the nozzle located inside that it should stop your splashback problem Wink
Back to top Go down
gilesmdavis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere?   How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 5:57 pm

It's been months but just wanted to say thanks to everyone - and slap my forehead.

Once I was aware of the plate/collar for the nozzle I gave it a good wiggle and am now refuelling like a F1 team. Kind of.

Funny the things you can't work out

Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere?   How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 11:17 pm

It does take a bit longer but I always squeeze the last drop I can fit into the tank. I usually put the scooter on the centerstand when filling it which makes it a bit easier to get the most fuel in the tank. I will admit of the SW, Burgman 650 and my current 650GT the Burgman had the best fuel filler. Putting the tank filler on the left rear of the bike's rump like a car was a good idea. The BMW has the worst filler in that the lid over the cap can break if it's not latched when you open the seat. It's also awkward being on the opposite side of the step through compared to the SW.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere?   How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 11:16 am

I like the fuel filler in between my legs, I can stop and fuel up without ever getting off the scoot.

Lazy, yes!
Back to top Go down
Tourezrick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 83

PostSubject: Re: How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere?   How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 2:45 pm

Center stand helps you eliminate some splashing and gets you more fuel in the tanks. It seems like pump pressures are higher than I remember, so getting a slower fill rate is tough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere?   How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you fill up without spraying petrol (gas) everywhere?
Page 1 of 1