Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Draining fuel tank

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
rjdoles
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2012-09-24

Draining fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Draining fuel tank   Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 10:15 am

Hello All

As the cold weather has arrived, I was thinking of going to a nearby boat dock and buying 5 gallons of straight gasoline to replace the E10 fuel in the scooter's tank. Is there an easy way to drain the fuel from the tank? Should I just run it to near empty and then refill with the gasoline?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Draining fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draining fuel tank   Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 10:40 am

I've siphoned my tank empty but it's kind of tricky getting a 1/4" hose to the lowest point. The hose wants to curl up when it gets down that far.

So maybe you should siphon out as much as possible or run to empty then refill with non-ethanol fuel BUT be sure to add some Seafoam to the tank first.

Just my 2ยข

Tim
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Draining fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draining fuel tank   Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 12:25 pm

I've siphoned my tank down to 1-2 litres left. I used a fairly inflexible clear plastic hose that had the same diameter as the space between the filler neck and the cross bar inside the neck. I pushed the hose down to the bottom front of the tank and it worked well.
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

Draining fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draining fuel tank   Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 2:11 am

When I syphon any tank I put a length of wire inside the tube I am using. I can then bend the tube to go where ever I need to suck up the last drops. A few years ago I accidentally filled my Honda Blackbird with diesel right to the top and as I finished realised because of the colour and smell!. I syphoned most out with length of garden hose but the last half litre or so eluded me until I thought of using wire.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Draining fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draining fuel tank   Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 4:27 pm

My two cents:

I've never drained the gas tank on anything I've owned. All of my gas cans have SeaFoam in them. I use a 5 gallon gas can for my push and riding lawn mowers and my snowblower. Sometimes a 5 gallon can will last me over two years and into the third season before it's gone. I've never had any problems with anything starting at the start of any season. In the motorcycles I've had I also run the tank down to less than 1/2 left then add SeaFoam and fill the tank up. I take it out for a semi short run to make sure the "fresh" gas has filled the carbs. When I get back to my garage I put the bike on the center stand and top off the tank. If there are petcocks on the tank I turn them off. I put the battery on a 2 Amp charger overnight about once a month to keep it topped off too. At the start of any season with any of my equipment, including the bikes, they all start and run like yesterday was the last day they ran.

Like I said, It's just my two cents. But it has always worked for me with no problems.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Draining fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draining fuel tank   Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 6:01 pm

Dale N. wrote:
My two cents:

I've never drained the gas tank on anything I've owned. All of my gas cans have SeaFoam in them. I use a 5 gallon gas can for my push and riding lawn mowers and my snowblower. Sometimes a 5 gallon can will last me over two years and into the third season before it's gone. I've never had any problems with anything starting at the start of any season. In the motorcycles I've had I also run the tank down to less than 1/2 left then add SeaFoam and fill the tank up. I take it out for a semi short run to make sure the "fresh" gas has filled the carbs. When I get back to my garage I put the bike on the center stand and top off the tank. If there are petcocks on the tank I turn them off. I put the battery on a 2 Amp charger overnight about once a month to keep it topped off too. At the start of any season with any of my equipment, including the bikes, they all start and run like yesterday was the last day they ran.

Like I said, It's just my two cents. But it has always worked for me with no problems.

If I can add my $.02 to Dale's, I run premium fuel the last several tankfuls of the season (in Canada our premium contains no ethanol...yahoo!!!!). Instead of SeaFoam, I use Sta-Bil. From what I've read, Star-Tron works really well, but is unavailable in Canada. It supposedly keeps the ethanol from separating from the gasoline. I pull my battery entirely and bring it in the warm house, trickling it once a month also.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Draining fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draining fuel tank   Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 7:08 pm

I don't drain my tank mainly because, with the exception of the odd few very snowy weeks, I'm able to ride all year. When it does snow here it usually melts away the following day. Not exactly Florida weather, but not Polar Vortex county either. So neener, neener, neener to all you folks living up near or north of the Twin Cities Wink

Tim
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Draining fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draining fuel tank   Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 7:49 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
I don't drain my tank mainly because, with the exception of the odd few very snowy weeks, I'm able to ride all year. When it does snow here it usually melts away the following day.

I'm so envious. When it snows here after mid-November, it stays until late March/early April
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

Draining fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draining fuel tank   Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 8:41 pm

I'm with jumper. I don't drain mine either! Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Draining fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draining fuel tank   Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 9:09 pm

I'm with bigbird also. Here in MN we have 10 months of winter. 2 weeks of a cold spring. 2 weeks of a cold autumn. The rest is left for riding.

Well, it seems like that anyway... LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Draining fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draining fuel tank   Draining fuel tank I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Draining fuel tank
Page 1 of 1