Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fueling Siverwing

Go down 
+6
model28a
Cosmic_Jumper
hardee41
bigbird
Chilliwing
john grinsel
10 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Fueling Siverwing Empty
PostSubject: Fueling Siverwing   Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 4:34 pm

From recent trips:

SilverWing 600 has 16 liter tank, a little over 4 USgallons, probably a little small for touring on 50mpg machine.

Reg fuel works fine, in addition to fuel gauge, I use trip miles A as reminder----I do not want to run out of gas and hate walking

Some rules I use:

at 75 miles in totally unknown territory=look for fuel
100 miles in kinda known territory=start looking for fuel

In well known territory at 125 miles begin looking.

Recent ride to AK, most I put in----14.2liters one stop in Canada, in US 3.2 gallons. Both times I felt walking might be coming up.

Only one place I have ridden to in N America that requires carrying extra gas, is the road in Quebec leading to James Bay----road is private, long way go to next gas, I bought gas can and used on way up and way back BMW K-75----gave away when no longer needed.
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

Fueling Siverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fueling Siverwing   Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 6:13 pm

Just got back today from a trip along the Oregon Coast. After riding 300 miles of coast line and admiring the beautiful scenery I was constantly aware of the limitations of the Swing tank. I hate that last remaining bar that blinks away as a constant reminder that you need to find a gas station in short order. Riding in unfamiliar territory your never quite sure how far the next station is. At one point and after considerable time on the blink I was so pleased to see a gas station in the wilderness that I could have hugged the pump attendant. I was sure I would have to do some walking.

My observations, I also use the A trip to keep track;

First bar disappears at 88kms on the money!
Last bar starts blinking at 280 to 300kms.
I travel at mostly 90-110 km/hr on the highway

I was contemplating carrying a 1 litre gas bottle but could have, should have, would have!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Fueling Siverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fueling Siverwing   Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 6:45 pm

My observations: I got about 20km/litre. The last flashing bar indicates there are exactly 4 litres left, so you're good for another 80 km. I always carried a 5 litre plastic gas can when I was going long distances, so I knew when the last bar started flashing I was good for another 180 km.
Back to top Go down
hardee41
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hardee41

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Fueling Siverwing Empty
PostSubject: Fueling Siverwing   Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 12:54 am

My 1st. long trip I ran out of gas on interstate 94 in Minneapolis, scary. I now carry a 1 qt. can with me. Haven't had to use it.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Fueling Siverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fueling Siverwing   Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 10:27 am

Chilliwing wrote:
<>My observations, I also use the A trip to keep track;
First bar disappears at 88kms on the money!
Last bar starts blinking at 280 to 300kms.<>

Rule of Thumb says: The miles showing when that first bar drops out will be your effective miles per gallon. And given that the fuel for first bar and the last bar both the same then, in your example, you would have approximately  88kms left once that reserve starts blinking.

You metric folk will need to adjust that Rule of Thumb for liters per hundred kilometers though.

Tim

edit to correct format error
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Fueling Siverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fueling Siverwing   Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 12:39 pm

Fuel often/don't trust electric, electronic stuff/ trip miles better and you probably will not be walking/pushing.

Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Fueling Siverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fueling Siverwing   Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 6:40 pm

Like John, I always reset my trip meter when I fill up. But I've noticed what Tim said is true. When the first bar goes out if I make a point to remember the miles on the trip meter it is the same as what I average in MPGs. Also if I get gas when the bar starts blinking it takes about 3.2 gallons. So the first bar is one gallon and the last bar flashing is about a gallon. I believe bigbird has pointed this out before also so it must be pretty standard.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Fueling Siverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fueling Siverwing   Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Doesn't much matter to me. At my age the bladder needs service before the fuel tank! :lol!:
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

Fueling Siverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fueling Siverwing   Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 8:25 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
Doesn't much matter to me.  At my age the bladder needs service before the fuel tank!   :lol!:

Probably true for many of us that haven't admitted it yet Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tourezrick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2014-09-12

Fueling Siverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fueling Siverwing   Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 5:47 pm

Last mileage check was 46.3 mpg on local streets. I always carry a metal liter fuel bottle as a backup and refresh it monthly. Went from 70+ degrees on Monday in Chicago to snow last night with 10 - 15 ft. waves on Lake Michigan. 2014 riding days will be few and far between now. Had jury duty all this week, so I missed the nice weather Monday and Tuesday! This may be the first time I participate in the U.S.M. C. Toys for Tots ride in December, weather permitting. I'm on the opposite end of Chicago, so weather has to cooperate. Apparently, Scoot Jockeys Chicago participates, so that may be an incentive.
Back to top Go down
ernie m
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ernie m

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-08-18

Fueling Siverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fueling Siverwing   Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 5:56 pm

Were expecting our first snow tonite. "crap"
Back to top Go down

Fueling Siverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fueling Siverwing   Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 12:56 pm

I have gone past 200 mi. on the odometer many times. I usually start looking for gas stations around 175 mi. and try to be sure to get it before 190.

I only ran out of gas once at 196 and I called a friend to bring me a couple of quarts from his lawnmower gas can. I was inconvenienced about 20 whole minutes. I did have a family size Papa Murphy's pizza in the trunk I was worried about getting too warm. (They always look at me funny picking up a big a** pizza wearing motorcycle gear.)

No offense, but sometimes I think everyone else riding a swing is an old lady.

Think about John's math for a second. He claims to get 50mpg. He knows the tank is just OVER 4 gallons. He starts looking for fuel at 75 MILES. 75!!! Even when he knows where every gas station is and how far to get there, he starts looking at 125! Why is he looking FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR OF RIDING AROUND HOME? Is he looking for that station with gas $.05 cheaper? for THREE gallons? So he can save fifteen cents?

Oh wait, I forgot John's standards for gas station bathrooms. Never mind, I understand now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fueling Siverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fueling Siverwing   Fueling Siverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fueling Siverwing
Page 1 of 1